Forum Index > Partners > Canyonlands in April or Early May
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KJR

KJR
PostMon Nov 17, 2014 8:30 pm 
Have you always lusted after the Canyons while reading John Morrow's fabulous spring trip reports? Here is your opportunity! I am heading back down to do some hiking the last week or so of April or perhaps in early May. Usually hike solo with my dog, but the dog has gotten old and decrepit on me so I am free to hike guilt fee in the parks now. Since this is a decent drive thought I would see if anyone wants to go. Planning on leaving on a Friday afternoon, arrive in Moab area on Saturday night and return back here the following Sunday, leaving Saturday morning. This leaves 6 good hiking days. Most likely will do a loop in the Needles district for a few nights and some longer day hikes if there is any time left or perhaps another overnighter. Have room for 1 to 3 people (I suppose more if you are small and or are friendly with each other), I will either take my car or truck (4WD Quad Cab, with canopy), depending on number of people and destination. Backcountry reservations can be made 4 months out so that is the deadline on the itinerary. This is your chance to get down and see the canyon country, I actually like the driving and am going anyway.... Willing to modify my itinerary if you have better idea(s). I have seen a lot of the stuff near the road on previous trips, but my wife isn't going on this trip and neither is the dog as the one doesn't backpack and the other is about wore out (can't call her the used dog here as that name seems taken) so I am free to go further afield (Who can go wrong with a week long kitchen pass?). If you are interested send a note or respond so we can try a hike or two and see if we hike the same speed or close enough. My usual range is from Bend northwards and from the coast into Montana. I live in Federal Way so usually go south, west or east as I don't enjoy the Seattle traffic anymore. Kevin

around the next corner
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 am 
I may be interested. I have to be in Denver around that time period. Will find more concrete dates and let you know if our schedules coincide. Open to just about any pace out there. Ditto for mileage within reason. Nothing past +15miles consecutive days at the moment. Though can be quite brutally hot in May and would not enjoy that either. If this is the time period you prefer, count me out. Needles district is very short hiking(single overnight) or are you going for photography purposes and wish to spend more than 2 days in needles district? Some ruins in there as I recall. I assume you are contemplating going elsewhere besides Canyon Lands NP? Or car camping? Hundreds of miles of off roading in CLNP as I recall and 20 years ago I was coming home with a car full of junk and could not go down in that section. I was already turning my car into a road grader in Capital Reef NP... Enjoy. I always have enjoyed the SW in April and October. PS. Now that I am looking at my calendar, I will probably be in Denver in March, so probably a no go.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 pm 
I work in Utah and may be interested in meeting up with you...Depending on what you're interested in

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com