Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Annual Winter Blues Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 10:01 am 
Quote:
For all you natives of the Pacific Northwest, your winters on the west side of the mountains just ain't normal. You actually get to see the sun in lots of other places during Winter. A couple of folks I know have never spent a Winter anywhere but here. What a skewed perspective of Winter they must have.
Maybe this is my skewed perspective, but there aren't a lot of places I can think of that have better weather than we do. I've lived in the midwest and east coast and can do without freezing cold winters/ice storms/blizzards and hot, humid, buggy summers anytime. I went to college for a while in Arizona and yeah, fall and winter were nice enough but it was unbearably hot March through October. For work I've lived along the NoCal coast and think that 55 and foggy all summer is just wrong. Okay, maybe coastal SoCal has great weather, but then you have to live in SoCal.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 10:46 am 
Quark wrote:
Anybody here have SAD? It's hitting me real hard so far this year.
Try alcohol. They usually cure it.

Art is an adventure.
Smokey

Smokey
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 5:34 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Maybe this is my skewed perspective, but there aren't a lot of places I can think of that have better weather than we do. <snip>
Yes, every summer I rejoice. But winter here just ain't natural. It even had the tough guys of Lewis and Clark grousing about it . . . and they only spent one winter. I still think I'd do better though if I worked in a building that had natural light, even if it is gray. You people with windows are blessed. Plop me down in San Luis Obispo, CA or thereabouts and call me happy. Just can't afford a $600k fixer-upper.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 5:45 pm 
Ok, the weather today just plain sucks. The high at my house was 38*. It's been raining all bloody day. No wind to blow the clouds around and make things interesting. Just still, cold, and wet. The dogs are restless because they're bored and they sure don't want to go outside. Everytime I look up from what I'm doing I feel trapped - cause I don't want to go outside in the cold and wet. Heck, even the goats and sheep are just wandering around aimlessly in the barn because they don't want to go out in the cold and wet. BLECH!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 5:46 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Maybe this is my skewed perspective, but there aren't a lot of places I can think of that have better weather than we do.
Try Bora Bora. Even when it rains it is nice.

Art is an adventure.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 6:57 pm 
jenjen wrote:
BLECH!
I don't get it - is this a techical term?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 7:14 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Try Tora Bora. Even when it rains it is nice.
Geez, Stefan, gotta drag politics into this thread too? wink.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Justan

Justan
PostTue Nov 02, 2004 9:45 am 
Wow I never knew so many outdoorsy folks were troubled by stormy weather. I love this time of year. I get great pleasure in cold weather. Ice biking, snow showing, XC and downhill skiing, and just fun beating a trail through the old growth in rain or snow. Spectacular. Never have to worry about over heating and even well traveled paths are unique and fun. A trek into MRNP after 410 has closed, as just one example, is beyond fabulous. Often folks become inactive this time of year due to lack of suitable clothing and willingness to get outside. All I can suggest is to get a good cold/wet weather gear, a rain hat is essential, maybe some thermal underwear, and fleece, and take the chance to enjoy the outdoors. I've got a love for all seasons A love for all time I'll be the fire in your winter The sun in your spring I'll do what you want Give ya everything I've got a love for all seasons A love for all time

-Justan Elk
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSat Nov 06, 2004 8:10 am 
The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey. Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again. With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather. A quiver in my lips as if I might cry. Well by the force of will my lungs are filled and so I breathe. Lately it seems this big bed is where I never leave. Shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather. Quiver in my voice as I cry, "What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away." I hear the sound of a noon bell chime. Now I'm far behind. You've put in 'bout half a day while here I lie with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather. A quiver in my lip as if I might cry, "What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away?" Do I need someone here to scold me or do I need someone who'll grab and pull me out of this four poster dull torpor pulling downward. For it is such a long time since my better days. I say my prayers nightly this will pass away. The color of the sky is grey as I can see through the blinds. Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather. A quiver in my voice as I cry, "What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away?" I shiver, quiver, and try to wake. Like the Weather - 10,000 Maniacs

Let me stand next to your fire
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostSat Nov 06, 2004 10:28 am 
Personally, I like the stormy, rainy Fall/Winter weather we have around here. I even like to hike in the rain, although overnighting is not so great. What I don't like is the darkness at 4:00 pm- that really blows. But if you migrate south, just remember: Walking ’round the room singing Stormy weather At 57 mt. pleasant st. Now it’s the same room but everything’s different You can fight the sleep but not the dream Things ain’t cooking in my kitchen Strange affliction wash over me Julius caesar and the roman empire Couldn’t conquer the blue sky There’s a small boat made of china Going nowhere on the mantlepiece Do I lie like a loungeroom lizard Or do I sing like a bird released Chorus Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you Crowded House- written by Tim & Neil Finn

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
mike

mike
PostSat Nov 06, 2004 11:34 am 
Quote:
For all you natives of the Pacific Northwest, your winters on the west side of the mountains just ain't normal.
I grew up in the Skagit Valley looking west out from under the grey curtain to the sunny rain shadow. So when I got older I moved smack in the middle of it and haven't looked back. There aren't many days here when the sky stays that monochrome 18% gray (photographers will know about 18% grey). Most days we get at least a hint of blue and at the very least can differentiate one cloud from the next making for some of the most beautiful skies west of the mountains. Nice that it doesn't rain much either. So that's how I dealt with the PacNW winter blues short of going to mexico every winter.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Nov 06, 2004 10:24 pm 
Justan wrote:
Wow I never knew so many outdoorsy folks were troubled by stormy weather...Often folks become inactive this time of year due to lack of suitable clothing and willingness to get outside. All I can suggest is to get a good cold/wet weather gear, a rain hat is essential, maybe some thermal underwear, and fleece, and take the chance to enjoy the outdoors.
Inactivity due to lack of suitable clothing isn't a problem. I have plenty of suitable clothing, and do snowshoe, and do backpack on the coast to see winter storms. My inactivity had lately been due to work and school, work and school, work and school. How come you can't spell your name. I thought you were an English whatever. What exactly does "how come" mean, anyway?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Justan

Justan
PostMon Nov 08, 2004 9:46 am 
Quark, The willingness to get out regularly, even daily, is IMO all important and one of the best treatments for depression. While not pretending expertise on seasonal depression, I've dealt with depression off and on for a number of years have come to know it can be a real obstacle. If you felt slighted by my comment, I apologize. There was no intent to minimize the impact. My previous comment was focusing on one solution I've found helpful. I also appreciate your sharing a little of the wider context of your life, as it adds a dimension to the topic. The combination of work and school with little R&R can wear one down due to the persistent demands and unique stresses that come with the territory. Add to that, that most students are broke and you have some less than savory gravy. When I was in school, admitting to depression of almost any kind was perceived as a taboo. As a result, a lot of folks chose a quiet misery over the risk of ridicule. Now-a-days there are a wide variety of meds developed to reduce or even eliminate depression. Meds such as the so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (or SSRI) genre and others have no narcotic or other negative effects on most people, so they (the meds) don’t ultimately add to the daily demands. In addition there are a number of therapeutic solutions. Most docs will recommend a combination of a med of one type or another along with exercise and other stress releasing pursuits, such as yoga, mediation, stretching, and so forth. If depression is something that is becoming an obstacle I recommend that you talk with a health care provider and perhaps try something you might not have tried before. About my screen name, I'm not sure what you’re sayin’ because I'm an American whatever.

-Justan Elk
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 08, 2004 10:36 am 
Good morning Justan! I was just feeling insulted about your last post saying that people (read me) don't get out in winter due to lack of proper gear, which is definately not the case, and the elemenatry advice about getting fleece and a hat, though excellent, hurt my chest-beating pride. I just posted the thread since it subject comes up every year. I consider it normal to be hibernatory in winter. I don't have SAD anywhere near the intensity that would require anything more than understanding freinds during this time of year, an occasional light box session, and after work - a cup of hot cider, a blanket, books and a cat or two or three sitting on my lap. Some years, I admit, its worse than others, but not enough to do anything past going to one naturopath once, out of curiosity, and subsequently nixing the advice to give up caffiene. Now that would be depressing. RE: your name. I've always seen it spelled "Justin," and I thought I read you had studied English and should be a good spleller so I was razzing you.

Justan

Justan
PostMon Nov 08, 2004 12:17 pm 
I figured from your reply that I had been a little insensitive, but, really was trying to add an up-beat element. Don’t you think it was cool that others responded with verse? What a great group! You demonstrate the willingness to try different things. When dealing with depression that is sometimes remarkably difficult to do, but often works. Along the lines of light, and to add a short story, a friend took up winter gardening to help with SAD. He grew some of the biggest xmas cactus, broccoli, onions, flowers of dozens of varieties and even more. Spent several hours a day in the light room along with his 2 cats. The cats got their own dirt filled boxes for discretionary uses. Kept them from trashing the rest of the vegetation and with the aid of lime and dead foliage, provided on going mulch and fertilizer. Ultimately he cut his fruit and vegetable bill to almost 0. I can’t believe that someone suggested giving up coffee. WTF were they thinking? Trade migraine headaches and lethargy for a few weeks just so you know how bad it can be?!?!? Thanks for the ‘splain on the screen name. What irony! I do have training in English yet I'm in competition for the world’s worst spellers. Justan is a pseudo contraction, more of a collision, really, of just an, as in “just an elk”. The meaning would be different and kind of gross were I to have gone with the traditional spelling.... Cheers

-Justan Elk