Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera store recommendations (local or online)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 6:41 pm 
Jeff If you are looking for a nice point-and-shoot camera my recommendation is as follows. (1) go to dpreview.com and look at the major offerings from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, etc (2) Make a pre-selection (3) Go to a store like Best Buy, Circuit City or other large electronics store and test out the cameras in your hands. Some cameras look great on paper (on screen?) but don't feel right in a larger hand or in a smaller hand, what have you. Hold them in your hands, take note of how they feel. Where are the controls placed. How many functions does it have (are you happy with just automatic, or do you want Av, TV and full manual) (4) Make note of the prices offered at that store (5) Make your selection. Offer that store the opportunity to match the price that you found online. Some will do so. Bonus - you get the camera right now instead of waiting for the postman to show up (or the delivery guy to fling the box at your door) Support the local merchant whenever possible, and they will do their best to support you too. Ask for their best price. If you are very much apart, then yeah go online for the purchase. B&H rocks, but all my point-and-shoots have been local purchases.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 4:12 pm 
I have done almost all of my camera buying on B&H Photo. Best Buy was where I started but they are just so darn expensive for things and as my hobby has grown, they don't offer the things I want. I bought my Canon camera at Talls Camera in the Northgate Mall. Otherwise everything else has been bought from B&H, or used of craigslist. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
gb

gb
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:23 pm 
Glazers: Just bought a Panasonic 100-300 M4/3 used (doesn't look it) priced at $449 + 37 for a Hoya filter +23 for a Lowe bag. Sold all to me for a total $515 including tax. KEH wanted $468-482 for the lens alone. New lists at $599. Return policy 14 days, 60 day warranty. However, salesman said they would not hold it to 14 days. Glazers is very good, they will help you and spend time (I've spent an hour a couple of times) with you. Can't get that online. (I have been a B&H customer for years). But why buy mail order when you can get the same price here and have the ability to address problems in person.

mike

mike
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 pm 
gb wrote:
KEH wanted $468-482 for the lens alone.
I'm looking at that same lens. It's in the cart waiting for any excuse smile.gif Is there a webpage for Glazers?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 4:15 pm 
mike - you don't know how badly I'm tempted to be the ass who posts the LMGTFY link.... wink.gif here you go: http://www.glazerscamera.com/

gb

gb
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm 
mike wrote:
gb wrote:
KEH wanted $468-482 for the lens alone.
I'm looking at that same lens. It's in the cart waiting for any excuse smile.gif
My excuse was that I'm getting older and I'm buying for the long run. I'm also in the Mountaineers Naturalists. Is there a webpage for Glazers? I just called them. I did much of my research on DP Camera Review (and some googling). Check out my post and the responses on the micro 4/3 forum. Easy to find "Gary From Seattle" in yellow

mike

mike
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 5:52 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
mike - you don't know how badly I'm tempted to be the ass who posts the LMGTFY link.... wink.gif
Don't be bashful. I found Glazers' website but the link <used> was right in front of my face and I didn't see it Will check out the µ4:3 forum Gary.

nordique

nordique
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 11:10 pm 
I'm just a point and shoot guy myself but I like a good super-zoom too. And I like Kenmore Camera a lot. They gave me a $100 trade-in when I upgraded to a better P&S camera and they gave me a lot of time and advice about what to buy. I came in with plans to buy a Canon super-zoom, due to a great review in Consumer Reports , but the menu system was counter-intuitive to me. They had me try a Nikon super-zoom, which had a very similar menu setup to my previous Fujifilm. Anything confusing they can explain. It's just a coincidence that many of my hiking friends have bought the same model super-zoom camera and in the same color, some of them driving a fair distance to Kenmore Camera.

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 6:38 pm 
jcocci wrote:
I can recommend kenmore cameras.
Agreed.. knowledgeable and nice KEH online too

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 6:59 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Go to a store like Best Buy,
I've had nightmarish experiences with Best Buy -- terrible customer service and worse I had one of their employee's use my credit information to open up multiple accounts and buy stuff for themselves. That was a mess to clean up!. I've ordered a number of camera's from B&H -- It can be a good deal -- but you have to refrain from buying their way overpriced accessory packages -- especially when one of their service reps calls you on the phone "to confirm your order" and tried to upsell on an accessory package.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 12:08 pm 
I've had good luck with Glazer's. But I've been going to Kenmore Camera more often now, because when I rent from borrowlenses.com, I can arrange to pick it up at that store. Nice large shop, good selection. Nice people... when a rental lens that was supposed to come with an Arca-Swiss plate didn't actually have it, they managed to scrounge one up for me to borrow (which I ended up buying for dirt cheap). Online, I just go for Amazon, and skip anything that is just using Amazon as the front man, i.e. if it's not being shipped by them, and isn't covered by Prime, I skip it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 pm 
Ritz used to have stores here under the Kits/Talls camera name. They were overpriced and kinda creepy which is typical for stores with high commission salespeople. I think most of their stores went out of business and they mostly have an online presence now. Edit: looks like they went bankrupt and auctioned off the Ritz name. Adorama is quite good and well respected. They even have a storefront on amazon. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am 
Adorama has a good reputation in astronomy circles for reliability and good support.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Gil

Gil
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 am 
I've bought stuff at Adorama and never had a problem.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini