Forum Index > Photography Talk > Posting someone elses photo online?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm 
So in 1976 a news reporter/photographer took a photo of a friend and I jumping off a wood dingy on the beach back east. Beach towels as capes. Classic photo of kids having fun. The reporter/photographer sent each of us a copy and signed the back. The pic was also in a large local newspaper. I would like to scan and post this pic on FB as my friend just passed away a few days ago. Is this a strict no-no or under the circumstances it's ok? Give proper credit? Get in touch with the photographer? The story is sufficient but we all know how many words photos say. Bruce

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 5:59 pm 
He gave you the photo and, I assume, didn't require you to sign any agreements concerning rights - it's yours to do with as you please. Classy to give credit where it's due, but in this case not strictly necessary. You're not trying to profit from this photo, just sharing it with friends. The problems with posting pictures taken by other people arise when the photo was copied without permission - i.e. they never gave you a copy of it, you just took it from somewhere and started using it.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 am 
What Bedivere said and I wouldn't worry too much since (I assume) you are not using it to gain financially. My opinion.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 12:01 pm 
Legally the photographer owns the copyright; you were given a copy. That's not a jail kind of thing, it's a lawsuit kind. Given the circumstances, the way the internet works, and just how big a place it is, I'm sure it won't be any problem at all.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 pm 
Thanks! I put the photo back in the frame. I'll leave this be. I appreciate the responses. A good place with good people.

gb

gb
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
No issue. Old photo, no value. Don't do a large scan for the internet so copying it is of no value. Credit the photographer on the posted photo.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Legally the photographer owns the copyright; you were given a copy. That's not a jail kind of thing, it's a lawsuit kind. Given the circumstances, the way the internet works, and just how big a place it is, I'm sure it won't be any problem at all.
I am a photojournalist and I agree with the above. Legally the photog owns the copyright and you did not buy a license to print or duplicate it. But can you contact the photojournalist and ask them if it's okay for you to duplicate the photo? I think they would probably say yes.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm 
gb wrote:
No issue. Old photo, no value. Don't do a large scan for the internet so copying it is of no value. Credit the photographer on the posted photo.
This.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman