Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm 
re: above-quoted blurb from "Defenders": "... tens of thousands... " yeah... sure.... anybody in the market to buy a bridge? lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 pm 
Ski wrote:
"... tens of thousands... " yeah... sure....
Better than two. They routinely raise $150000-$400000 in one to three days so tens of thousands is probably right since only a small fraction probably give money. Being the expert on things like this why don't you e-mail them; they could give you the exact numbers banghead.gif .

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm 
I gotta go fix a roof this afternoon. why don't you ask them?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 pm 
Ski wrote:
that statement just doesn't seem to make sense.
Quote:
yeah... sure....
So you're response to information posted in this thread, information from credible sources, is to just baselessly accuse them of lying? You could, perhaps, try making a coherent counter-argument instead of just calling those you disagree with liars . . . unless of course you are incapable of finding any facts to back up your assertions?

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 am 
MCL and gb- Wolves are another thing to add to the "not in my backyard" list. If wolves were convening at your local cemetery or eating your livestock I think you would be singing a different tune.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 7:57 am 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
MCL and gb- Wolves are another thing to add to the "not in my backyard" list. If wolves were convening at your local cemetery or eating your livestock I think you would be singing a different tune.
Yup. That's it. Now they'll retort that we need to go live in the city, which is an unlivable place for some of us. MC quote: I think poacher scum like you and your buddies should go to jail. Why? We aren't poachers until we poach. Are you the thought police? I should go to jail for simply posting that I don't want wolves in my neighborhood and advocating being able to defend my property from wolves? Or my neighbors who have livestock defending theirs? Face it, unless some other means than ordering us to accept this beast and the damage, OR ELSE is not going to work. Kinda like The Drug War and Just Say No has been very effective. rolleyes.gif You live in a fantasy world. Did you know that for years, rural people were urged to shoot any domestic dog that was chasing deer? Now we're paying good money to support deer chasing, but by wolves. Go figure.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 am 
Ski wrote:
I think we need some wolves out here near Pt. Defiance. There's too damn many deer out here; a guy can't grow tomatoes or roses without a 10-foot-tall fence, and the raccoon population is out of control. Plus maybe they'd take care of all these dogs running loose that are crapping in my yard.
I'd like to see that happen before they are dumped (or encouraged) to live here. But it won't happen. City people freak out when a wayward coyote wanders by. We see it on the news. They worry about their children being attacked by the coyote, whilst we rural folk are told to live with wolves and that we are stupid to worry about such things. In other words, we don't count, and you do.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am 
A pile, just a pile.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 2:18 pm 
The coyotes raised a lot of hell over in University Place; ate a whole mess of cats. Don't know if they ate any children, though. Maybe they need some wolves over there to deal with the coyotes. That roof job was pretty easy once I got all the damn chestnuts and stuff pulled out of the drain pipe. I think flat roofs should be illegal in Western Washington.
small wonder the roof wasn't draining properly 112614
small wonder the roof wasn't draining properly 112614
amazing how well the roof drains when the water has somewhere to go! 112614
amazing how well the roof drains when the water has somewhere to go! 112614
wonder if this stuff would work for waterproofing my boots? 112614
wonder if this stuff would work for waterproofing my boots? 112614
one of the nice things about working on roofs are the great views- Mt. Rainier in the distance 112614
one of the nice things about working on roofs are the great views- Mt. Rainier in the distance 112614

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 8:37 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
No, I would not be singing a different tune. Because I don't hate the native wildlife that shares space with me. Because I don't think native species should be extirpated for my convenience or for my profit. Is that so hard for you to imagine? If you and treeswarper or anyone else hates the native wildlife, then move. The vast majority of this country has no wolves. They have a toehold in this small area of the country. You have the entire country at your disposal. Try to get out of your own little ego-centric universe and have some consideration for other living things. The simple fact is that the concerns are way overblown. Idaho and Montana have had far greater numbers for far longer . . . so where are the horror stories? Where are all the ranchers that have been put out of business? Where are the forests devoid of elk and deer? Didn't I already ask these questions a few pages ago? And I received no answer, save for one suspect webpage. Seems to me there would be some legitimate data somewhere . . .

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 pm 
I'm not a hater of native wildlife. Just trying to look at the issue practically. They have caused plenty of headaches & controversy in Montana and elsewhere. And we are far more populated than those states. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2011/02/montanas-governor-encourages-ranchers-to-kill-wolves.html

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 9:07 pm 
The article says coyote attacks outpace wolves. These type of misleading statements are dishonest. Because there is far more than 1700 coyotes. My folks have had 1 coyote attack in decades. A particularly desperate coyote killed a calf while it was still halfway in the birth canal. But wolves are a different animal so to speak, hunting in packs. And ranchers can defend their animals from coyotes.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 10:10 pm 
Quote:
"...the concerns are way overblown..."
you left out "on both sides of the issue"

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 10:18 pm 
IDAHO FOR WILDLIFE, INC. PRESS RELEASE (11-25-14) By Steve Alder, Pres. The decision by the BLM to withdraw our permit will not stop the coyote and wolf hunt. We cannot dictate where people hunt. We will follow the same procedure as we did last year and require hunters during registration to sign a waiver stating that any wolf or coyote taken on BLM land will not qualify for the derby. The BLM at the DC level has become too politically influenced and motivated. The idea that they would require a full blown NEPA analysis including an Environmental assessment for only 100-150 hunters to cover over 3million acres is absurd and ridiculous. We worked very hard with the local BLM to be granted the permit. After the BLM refused to grant us a permit last year, they advised us to start the permit process early and we jumped through every hoop they required. They issued us a permit and then the DC bureaucrats revoked it. There is no doubt that the local BLM spend a time and resources on this permitting process. The BLM policies need to be changed and we will push for more legislative oversight of this out of control agency that is now caving to the radical anti-hunters. We will offer 2 cash prizes, one for the most coyotes and one for the most wolves. We will provide additional prizes for successful youth hunters. 100% of the excess cash contributions will be given back to the Salmon valley to various charities, such as a college scholarship, The local food bank, and to help a local rancher that was severely impacted by wolf depredation this past summer. This rancher is not one of the large ranchers and he lost the majority of his calf crop along with 13 adult cows to wolves this past Summer while they were grazing on Public land and this that has devastated him financially. He’s hoping to get a job at the new ShopKo that they are building in Salmon as he doesn’t think he can recover financially. Thanks, Steve Alder

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 pm 
On the 29th of November 1941, just before the Nazis hanged 18-year-old Zoya Kosmodemjanskaja, she screamed at her executioners "You can’t hang all 190 million of us." There are a hell of a lot of ranchers in the western US. If the BLM, USFWS, State Wildlife agencies, and those individuals and organizations who are so much in favor of wolf reintroduction are really serious about the success of their efforts, they might consider revising their strategies when it comes to working with and interacting with those ranchers. And until the rhetoric is toned down, the only purpose it serves is to foment more divisiveness. But then, the ad homs, name-calling, and carrying on like children is in some ways pretty entertaining, considering that most of it's coming from grown men. Keep up the good work, gentlemen. up.gif Hump, where would I send Mr. Adler a check?