Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > US won't stop Native Americans from growing/selling weed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 12:00 pm 
"Opening the door for what could be a lucrative and controversial new industry on some Native American reservations, the Justice Department on Thursday will tell U.S. attorneys to not prevent tribes from growing or selling marijuana on the sovereign lands, even in states that ban the practice." http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-marijuana-indians-20141211-story.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 pm 
Good. And the sooner people get over their irrational fear of weed, the better.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 12:24 pm 
If people can't garden as they see fit, we're not talking about sovereign lands.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
The Yakamas don't share your view, they are trying to stop sales and growing on non-tribal land off the reservation they have fishing and hunting rights on

trestle

trestle
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:26 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
The Yakamas don't share your view, they are trying to stop sales and growing on non-tribal land off the reservation they have fishing and hunting rights on
If it's non-tribal land, they should shut the hell up. They have enough control already over so much of that part of the state.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm 
I do not understand the irrational fear of pot. Our city council seems to have it too (including medicinal marijuana, which I *really* don't understand). Annoys me to no end. (Backstory - I've been a little involved in city council happenings over the past few months due to unrelated activity, and learned a little about the city putting a temporary ban on the growing/sale of any kind of marijuana in our city. I kind of get that - the city is in a bit of an odd legal position with the discrepancy between state and federal law and there's also a lot of ambiguity from the state on regulations as well. So they want to cover their legal butts. Okie dokie. But then they want a city wide ban even after that's all sorted out? SMH!)

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:46 pm 
Many many people are perfectly happy to be told what to think. It's just so much easier for some people to not have to worry about figuring things out for themselves. Their whole lives they've lived with the government (which must have their best interests at heart, right?) telling them "marijuana is bad." Beer, liquor, tobacco, and any number of prescription and OTC drugs are acceptable, but not pot. Now our society is finally starting to wake up to the reality that maybe people getting stoned isn't so bad after all, and maybe there is actual medicinal value in this plant, but too many people aren't willing to look objectively at the situation as that would require them to challenge their own long-held beliefs. This is why the "think of the children" angle gets used so much when talking about where weed can be grown, processed, and sold yet no one is using that argument against the burgeoning craft brewing and distilling industry. Can't have a shop selling weed where little Johnny and Sally might walk past it, but a grocery store full of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs is just fine. It's completely irrational, but then so is so much of what is considered normal and acceptable that it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
I read that as well, but I'll betcha some of the more business-oriented tribes jump on this, especially in states where it's legalized.
bedivere wrote:
Now our society is finally starting to wake up to the reality that maybe people getting stoned isn't so bad after all, and maybe there is actual medicinal value in this plant, but too many people aren't willing to look objectively at the situation as that would require them to challenge their own long-held beliefs. This is why the "think of the children" angle gets used so much when talking about where weed can be grown, processed, and sold yet no one is using that argument against the burgeoning craft brewing and distilling industry. Can't have a shop selling weed where little Johnny and Sally might walk past it, but a grocery store full of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs is just fine.
Well said!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:52 pm 
When you can buy a bag of weed, a six pack of beer, and a bag of chips at 7-11 and there are no more articles anywhere in the media with headings like "10 actors you won't believe are gay" or "10 people you would never guess are black" I'll believe we have progressed down the road of rationality by just a tiny bit. Until then I'm pretty sure we're collectively insane