Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:30 am 
Tim Hagan wrote:
I scanned a few more REI ads from later issues of the Mountaineer, mimicking puzzlr's format but showing the full ad in each case. After 1956 the Membership Roster (where the ads appeared) was published separately from the Annual.
More Early REI Advertisements
More Early REI Advertisements
As a bonus, here are the ads from the 1969 issue:
1969 REI Advertisements
1969 REI Advertisements
now i'm confused.. i remember the original store location but i didn't realize it was between 4th and 5th ave.. i always thought it was farther up the hill, but then again i was just a little kid in those days.. i have the 3-pocket junior cruiser pack hanging out in my garage. all metal zippers, and they all still work smile.gif not the original shoulder straps or waistbelt though, wore those out decades ago..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 am 
I have a 4 digit membership number. I thought I had a low number but when REI opened the store in Silverdale last year the Central Kitsap Reporter said the person with membership number 25 lives in the area.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 1:36 am 
7 digits here but it starts with a 1 and I remember going to the store on Capitol Hill.. I used to be able to walk there from my apartment.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 pm 
mike wrote:
Still have my McKinley sleeping bag. To darn warm and heavy but still fine.
Same here. Did make good use it in the Enchanted Valley Chalet during the spring of 74 however. Nice and toasty.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 pm 
marzsit wrote:
now i'm confused.. i remember the original store location but i didn't realize it was between 4th and 5th ave.. i always thought it was farther up the hill, but then again i was just a little kid in those days.. i have the 3-pocket junior cruiser pack hanging out in my garage. all metal zippers, and they all still work smile.gif not the original shoulder straps or waistbelt though, wore those out decades ago..
My guess is that you are thinking of the second location, on 11th and Pine. REI operated from there from 1962 to 1993

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Nov 29, 2014 9:40 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
marzsit wrote:
My guess is that you are thinking of the second location, on 11th and Pine. REI operated from there from 1962 to 1993
i remember both stores, the original on pike street and the new store on 11th ave. what i didn't remember was how far apart they actually were.. i remember the old store as being somewhere between boren and broadway, but it was actually farther down the hill than that.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 29, 2014 10:15 am 
523 Pike St. next to the Mountaineers club room according to the REI history page.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 am 
There also was a small store downtown, you went down a flight of stairs to get there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 29, 2014 11:15 am 
From History page:
Quote:
1967 REI moves from 523 Pike Street to the basement at 423 Pike Street.
I don't recall visiting the basement location but maybe I did.

Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostSun Nov 30, 2014 11:29 am 
You can see more old REI ads in the book, "REI: 50 YEARS OF CLIMBING TOGETHER, The REI Story" by Harvey Manning published in 1988. The book shows catalogs all the way back to April 1, 1940 when you could get a small "racksack" for $1.00 or a down sleeping bag for $17.50. Who could forget the "Water Damage Sale" for May 14 to 19, 1962 when the REI basement warehouse at the store located at 1612 Sixth Ave. (the old Seattle P-I building) was flooded with seven feet of water due to a water main break. You could get a CO-OP Storm Parka for $11.90. In the early 1950's REI had 2,688 members and the annual sales were $31,354.00. I first went to REI in 1954 as a 5 year old with my dad Bill who had a four digit membership number to the store at 523 Pike St. above the Green Apple Pie restaurant. The store was one room, 60' x 22'.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Dec 01, 2014 9:37 pm 
No way for me to quantify it, but I get the sense people's interest in the traditions and history of climbing and outdoor recreation is waning. In 1999, I went to a book signing at the Redmond REI for Jim Whittaker and his new book, "A Life on the Edge." I walked in and Jim was standing there alone -- nobody with him and nobody in line. He nicely signed my book and made a good natured comment, paraphrased, 'Sheesh, you're the only one in line.' We briefly chatted and I left with nobody approaching him during that time. I think I arrived at the beginning of the event, so maybe a bunch of people showed up right after me.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Chico

Chico
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 2:30 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
No way for me to quantify it, but I get the sense people's interest in the traditions and history of climbing and outdoor recreation is waning. In 1999, I went to a book signing at the Redmond REI for Jim Whittaker and his new book, "A Life on the Edge." I walked in and Jim was standing there alone -- nobody with him and nobody in line. He nicely signed my book and made a good natured comment, paraphrased, 'Sheesh, you're the only one in line.' We briefly chatted and I left with nobody approaching him during that time. I think I arrived at the beginning of the event, so maybe a bunch of people showed up right after me.
The younger generation has no clue about the stuff we grew up with. (okay, maybe a few.)

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 2:42 pm 
reststep wrote:
523 Pike St. next to the Mountaineers club room
I don't remember the Mountaineers at this location. They were at 8th & Pike and their building was torn down for the Convention Center. They moved from there to the old Norselander Restaurant building.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 5:14 pm 
Chico wrote:
"The younger generation..."
so maybe we should make 'em all strap on smelly old Trapper Nelsons packed full of cast-iron frying pans and canned beans? I think with the mess they've inherited they've got enough troubles already.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 6:21 pm 
Here's also an earlier post of the 1964 REI Catalog