Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 11, 2014 12:47 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Even with Glonass I don't really notice it being much/if any more accurate than the 60 without Glonass.
I was under the impression the GLONASS mainly improves acquisition time and offers more opportunities to find satellites anywhere the sky view is impaired and WAAS enabled devices improve accuracy. For me acquisition is more important than 3 meter vs 10 meter accuracy.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 pm 
fairweather friend wrote:
Have touch screens become better about working when wet? My (older) cell phone screen is almost useless with even a few drops on it from wet fingers. Plus, I noticed that all of Garmin's current marine handheld GPS's have push button controls, so I assume this is still a big problem. OTOH, if you go with push button controls, then your screen size shrinks by half making it less useful for hiking (viewing topos).
My Garmin Oregon is all touchscreen. Touchscreen sensitivity does not seem to be affected by rain. Its crap with or without rain. Its obviously a resistive touch screen, not capacitive, with really high actuation force. Oddly, the one inch long stylus I have for it (looks like a bullet) works much better than a finger tip and even works with light gloves. Gloves without the stylus does NOT work, which is really odd.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 am 
Schenk wrote:
tigermn wrote:
Even with Glonass I don't really notice it being much/if any more accurate than the 60 without Glonass.
I was under the impression the GLONASS mainly improves acquisition time and offers more opportunities to find satellites anywhere the sky view is impaired and WAAS enabled devices improve accuracy. For me acquisition is more important than 3 meter vs 10 meter accuracy.
I never had acquisition issues with the 60 (no GLONSAS). Bottom line I don't see a difference there either. You can disable GLONSAS which will give you somewhat longer battery life (I haven't tested how much). Maybe there are a few situations where it may help. I just haven't found them yet, and I have tried it on some of my "tough" GPS pickup spots. Will need to pay more attention I guess. I used the 60 for many years though and didn't really have major issues with it anywhere. Likewise the 64 has been great as well.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 11:34 am 
I noticed a significant difference with GLONASS. It makes a difference anytime I have a limited sky view. Some GPS units have better antennas than other units and some folks simply will not notice a difference in acquisition time with GLONASS enabled as long as the performance of their GPS meets their expectations.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 pm 
I suspect if you have a less sensitive unit, GLONASS might help more in more difficult situations. I.E. an iPhone come to mind. I think they use both.

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostFri Dec 19, 2014 12:27 am 
I use the garmin 60csx with a GPS app on my iPhone as a backup. Cabelas has the garmin 62s with topi maps on sale for $200. I found the 60csx fairly reliable.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 am 
HundsSolo wrote:
Cabelas has the garmin 62s with topi maps on sale for $200.
IMHO the 62 was like Windows ME or Windows Vista. I don't remember all the reasons but there were some things it didn't do that the 60 did and some other issues. They may have fixed them I don't know, but I do know that model wasn't out very long before it was replaced with the 64.