Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 5:09 pm 
Ayn Rand died in 1982. Did she see some of those movies in the afterlife?

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 5:53 pm 
arohwed wrote:
Ayn Rand died in 1982.
Not according to Paul Ryan

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 1:51 pm 
32 years after her death and the ideas are still on the authors mind enough to generate some parody. There is no bad publicity. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 pm 
Interstellar (2014) An OK flick. Some real neat eye candy, I always enjoy thunderous chemical rocket takeoffs, and cool long shots of space near things like majestic saturn. The gigantic tides on the first planet visited are well portrayed in what I think is the largest wave I think I've ever seen done convincingly.....i thought holy crap that is one BIG wave. I always grimace when screenwriters mess up science for no good reason, there are more than a couple places where some just outright wrong things occur, or are the subject of some exposition....it seems to me it would be no harder to not include such stupidity than to write it in. But they do it anyway. Oh well. Much of this stuff flies by folks not as familiar with the physics, so I guess that's how it goes. Everyone in the film did OK acting wise, but Anne Hathaway left me cold, as always. I find her very over rated. Good to see Michael Caine is still kicking, he's always good though essentially a character actor IMO. The stuff near the end illustrating the worldline type ideas concerning time's arrow and the theories of additional dimensions was cool to see and nicely demonstrated. Overall I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. It was overly long IMO, but a good solid sci fi yarn all in all. Got a bit tired of being beat over the head by the score, but it's a space epic so I guess that comes with the territory.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I always grimace when screenwriters mess up science for no good reason... Much of this stuff flies by folks not as familiar with the physics, so I guess that's how it goes.
The vast majority of the moviegoing public doesn't know their weight from their mass, so it's a non-issue to most. If the writers can throw in some pseudo-tech to add more cool sounding science-stuff they will rarely pass up on the opportunity. Pardon me while I step off to brush my teeth with my new tachyon pulse Oral-B.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 11:32 pm 
For the most part I don't mind poor science in movies (although I love to laugh at it afterwards!), there is something to be said for the suspension of disbelief.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 11:49 pm 
Hogfather (2006) This is one of my favorite Christmas movies. Based on Terry Pratchett's novel of the same name, Hogfather stars Death and his granddaughter, Susan, and their quest to save the Hogfather (the discworld's equivalent to Santa Clause). That is a simple and wholly inadequate way of describing this movies plot, which is both entertaining and remarkably deep (just like the book!). The story is far too nuanced and difficult to describe to attempt to do so here. It's actually a made-for-TV miniseries made up of two episodes totaling just over 3 hours combined. This is really the only way they could have made Hogfather, since leaving out any part of this amazing novel would have been a terrible tragedy! It is as close to a word-perfect adaptation as is possible, the actors are all excellent, and all the characters are exactly I imagined them from the book. Of course, I'm slightly biased on account of being a rabid Terry Pratchett fan to start out with, but this is a great movie on its own in addition to being a great adaptation from the book.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am 
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies up.gif A worthy watch. It's an adventure/battle/comedy (some silliness is inserted into the movie)
I was hoping it would be a bit darker, however the near ending did not disappoint me. However the very ending felt a little incomplete but not too incomplete. The opening scene was pretty good. I could have done without the Sauron scene during the first half.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:37 am 
Looking forward to seeing 5 armies, hopefully it is better than Desolation of Smaug was. Between Legolas and his lore-breaking girlfriend (ugh), an over-abundance of orcs, and the poor portrayal of the dwarves (in the books they were greedy, not heroic), not to mention the dumb Sauron cameo...... To sum it up I will simply post the relevant "Honest trailer":
The critics say 5 armies redeems the series, and I'm hoping that they're right!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 am 
The dwarfs were indeed greedy in this one (although mostly Thorin). Lord of the Rings of course is still better. wink.gif

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 1:08 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Anne Hathaway left me cold, as always. I find her very over rated.
I used to feel the same way. Then I saw Love & Other Drugs.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 8:43 pm 
I don't go see many movies but was bored today so I went to see Wild thinking it might at least have some nice scenery. A hiking movie it isn't. It about one messed up chick if you ask me. If you are into those kind of movies maybe it is your thing.... Not even very much scenery footage other than maybe a few nipple shots... lol.gif It wasn't even clear in the movie how much of the trail she actually did. I know she skipped a section because of too much snow.... I suspect that might have been the more scenic section. A lot of what was shown in the movie was in more desert like terrain. The movie ended where she was on some big bridge on a highway, presumably in Oregon somewhere. I'd wait for it to come on free TV or maybe skip it all together.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 pm 
NacMacFeegle, that Honest Trailer of The Hobbit is awesome. So much truth there. I like the comment about their being caught by so many enemies, and yet it was too bad they couldn't catch some of the magic of the original. Slam! Thanks for sharing. ~z

mike

mike
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 9:00 pm 
5 armies down.gif down.gif . (yawn) One big Orc battle scene. No character development. Paid 8 bucks for the "special" effects.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostSat Dec 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
tigermn wrote:
It wasn't even clear in the movie how much of the trail she actually did. I know she skipped a section because of too much snow.... I suspect that might have been the more scenic section. A lot of what was shown in the movie was in more desert like terrain. The movie ended where she was on some big bridge on a highway, presumably in Oregon somewhere.
That was the Bridge of the Gods across the Columbia River from Oregon to Washington, near Stevenson, so I took away that she stopped at the Washington border. I agree, though, what a messed up person, and a completely novice "hiker". If the movie is even halfway accurate, it's a miracle she survived.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf