Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where you ever bullied in school?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 pm 
As much as mine and my brotber's relationship is a mess, one thing I'll always be grateful to him for is toughening me up. He is 9 years older than me and by the time I was 6 he had taught me basic karate, wrestling and boxing moves and instilled a fighting spirit towards anyone who'd try go take advantage of me. He always told me I had to deal with any kids my own age who tried go bully me but if any bigger, older kids gave me trouble that he'd help me out. Only time I had any trouble was in grade school when this one older kid (probably a sixth grader) decided my third grade and somewhat small ass was his to push around (I've always been small). He gave me a hard time for a couple months then one day it came down to physically pushing me around on the playground and I decided I'd had enough and fought back. Didn't really do any damage as I was half his size but he pretty much left me alone after that. Never had any trouble in junior high or high school as I was good at making friends and avoiding the jerks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 7:29 pm 
I've never had any bullies that stick out in particular. A chunky kid in elementary school a grade above me tried to twist my arm on the bus once and found out I was double jointed at the elbow. He thought it was so cool he never bugged me again... heck, I guess he became a friend. There was always bullying going on in Junior High at Olympic View but it tended to be around me. The most negative attention I remember receiving were randomly assigned derogatory accolades in passing between classes. Sounds terrible, but hormones running high, I actually wanted someone to start something but it never happened to me. Around this time and into high school I was attempting to self-learn Jeet-kun-do and while it may have looked like I knew what I was doing, the only thing working was the pushups. It must have been convincing because nobody ever picked any fights or threatened me and I just stuck to myself anyways. Maybe I was lucky or maybe they thought I was off. Now the truly damaging things were probably the lack of social interaction. I don't remember having a lot of friends and most people at school seemed to stick to their social clicks and I was often excluded. The majority of my free time was spent alone in silence. So when not catching up on homework, I just drew things in my day planner; political sketches, teachers, cartoons. I wonder what the reunion will be like?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 7:43 pm 
Quote:
I wonder what the reunion will be like?
if it's anything like my ten-year reunion, absolutely hilarious: all the pom-pom girls had at least 4 kids and asses two axe handles across, and most of the gridiron jocks were going full bald. haven't attended any since, but I'm seriously thinking of talking a buddy of mine I've known since 4th grade into attending our 50th when it comes up. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 10:38 pm 
Reunions... meh. I guess I'm unusual in that I'm still close friends with several guys I went to high school with. They're the kind of people worth having in your life. Couldn't really care less about anyone else I went to high school with and have nothing to prove to anyone, so haven't attended one since the 10 year.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 3:41 pm 
Having experienced both ends of the spectrum, I know that bullying comes from insecurity. Happy people who feel safe and are OK with themselves don't need to buttress their frail ego by picking on the weak (or indulging in the ubiquitous self-aggradizement that plagues the planet). Everything I'm most ashamed of, I did in 8th grade. The worst thing about teaching junior high is the sickening fear that some of these little monsters will not grow out of it, and a glance at history and the world in general validates this. But many do. I think they need an essentially functional family (doesn't have to be perfect). One of the worst little nightmares I had in 9th grade actually seemed to grow up by the next year. But read the news -- if you can stomach it -- and you'll see how many 8th grade bullies (of all ages) infest the world. Another lesson is that we get the behavior we insist on. Someone has got to stop the bully, teach him how to be an adult. I had the riot act read to me, and cleaned up my act. The lesson remains vivid (I hope). But if the adults don't civilize the youngsters... ick. Clint Eastwood's movie Grand Torino is a priceless description of this dynamic.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
sams rapids

sams rapids
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm 
I have spent my life taking care of children who have had multi trama. That is, at least two of these: abused , neglected, abandoned, seeing or experiencing very horrible things. You couldn't imagine worse. These kids have little or no family, have had repeated foster care failure, no one standing up for them. These children can have really bad behavior. Looking back to my bullies in school, I now am sure they were also victims first. I remember a boy who told about his father beating him behind the shed. He was a scary bully. Mike's brothers and cousins were always knocking him around and guess what? A nasty bully always picking on others. He used to punch me in the back, no warning and no apparent problems between us. We all had a bully or two. Some of us were more skilled at fending them off. Schools today are much better than they were in the 60's when the vice principal's problem solving was either boxing gloves or swats. He would be fired today for those solutions. I wish there were better services today for these troubled children and families. They belong to all of us and we want them to have better lives. Don't tolerate anyone picking on your kids.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 pm 
well looking back I sorta feel bad about running that dik over, he had tire marks on his legs (he was wearing soccer shorts) and bad bruising...and the police showed up at our house...sigh...still makes me laugh when telling the story though... tongue.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 pm 
sams rapids wrote:
hese children can have really bad behavior. Looking back to my bullies in school, I now am sure they were also victims first.
Hitler was severely and abused by his stepfather, beaten into a 3-day coma at one point. He wrote that eventually he just took pride in being able to take it without crying out. Notably, such children get punished whether or not they do anything, so they learn powerlessness; it messes-up your behavior when you get punished no matter what you do. The Pathology of Evil, Victor

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.