Forum Index > Trip Reports > Windy Ridge - Rooster Comb Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Dec 27, 2014 8:06 pm 
I saw next years catalog put out by Hoka One One from a trade show and in Spring 2015 they will offer two styles of mid height UL hiking / backpacking boots. I have a pair of the Stinson Trail runners and was wondering when they would come out with a higher top version and they have. There is quite a difference between their trail runners and these 2015 boots though. They are currently available world wide by retailers except in the United States. Anyhow I was able to get a pair from Amazon.com acting as an intermediary for a London based retailer and scarfed a pair. They arrived last night. So I was anxious to check them out. This is not a review but they were fit and functional. I will definitely be wearing them hiking, backpacking, and peakbagging going forward.
Hoka One One Tor WP
Hoka One One Tor WP
Tor WP vibram sole
Tor WP vibram sole
Hoka One One Tor WP Mid Hiker
Hoka One One Tor WP Mid Hiker
So with a very late start after a 1 mile drive I parked at the Saddle Rock TH but headed up Dry Gulch about a 1/4 mile then got on Windy Ridge which is always a good workout gaining 1000' in .75 miles to the high point on Witchita Ridge. From there I continued over to Rooster Comb down it's steep ridge and back to the car. It was a fast pace non stop trip to get out and give the shoes a diverse terrain experience. Like hiking on marshmallows.
Dry Gulch - Pitcher Mountain
Dry Gulch - Pitcher Mountain
Windy Ridge
Windy Ridge

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 12:44 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Like hiking on marshmallows.
Do you really mean that? Usually when walking on soft ground like a beach it sucks up extra energy. Are they more bouncy than squishy?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 9:39 am 
When you compare the cushioning to anything there is no comparison and while they look like Hokaa's regular line the sole is denser and not as cushiony as the regular street and trail maximalist runners. The soles conform to the terrain and allow for maximum surface contact.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 am 
So you went and got them muddy on the first outing. Guess you are keeping that pair. Interesting concept. What about ankle support?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 5:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
So you went and got them muddy on the first outing. Guess you are keeping that pair. Interesting concept. What about ankle support?
Ankle support felt good, but I haven't had an issue with that using the Stinson Trail or the La Sportiva Cascadia 9's which I have used "fast packing" both are low cut trail runners. The number 1 shoe hiked in on the AT is the La Sportiva Cascadia 9's and they are being used so much by UL hikers and backpackers La Sportiva has put a disclaimer on their site stating they are trail runners only. I had planned on using the Cascadia 9's for hiking and backpacking this coming year. Here are the few links regarding the Tor Speed Mid's I used. Tor UL hiker information 1 Tor UL hiker information 2

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 9:27 am 
Getting any mileage on those new shoes yet, Rob? Still like them?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 pm 
Just that one trip Dave I have just been running 10k's a long the irrigation canal in my Ravenna's. A lot of compact snow and ice on trails with cold weather and limited views. Not real motivating but on standby for half decent weather. It can only get better from here out. up.gif Performance Footwera will be selling them March - April of 2015. 24 oz. a pair.

Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Jan 04, 2015 12:33 pm 
Last week the Hoka rep was at 7Hills showing a more beefy version (Tor Ultra). Will be interesting to see if they catch on for hiking the same way they have for ultras.

nordique

nordique
PostSun Jan 04, 2015 7:23 pm 
Oops, I seem to have stumbled onto a trail running forum! Or is that where NWHikers.Net is going?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 04, 2015 8:38 pm 
Oh this forum has vectored off on some worse tangents in the past! If trail running shoe companies can innovate comfy hiking boots that aid geriatric feet and knees I am all for the idea.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jan 05, 2015 9:53 am 
Not about trail running but continued innovation in ultralight hiking, backpacking, scrambling etc... that being said there are more than a few members here who run into the wilderness to lakes and peaks while others hike, backpack in trail runners. Comfort and efficiency. Footwear Weight and Efficiency