Forum Index > Photography Talk > 16x20 use disc or negative's?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm 
so would the original 35mm film neg's be better or costco still does it from disc's.... dizzy.gif film neg's are pricey to get 16x20...but I do hav some good ones to do...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostFri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 pm 
Depends on what you start with. If you have film and have a properly exposed and color balanced shot, you will in principle get a better reproduction with a photographic enlargement process rather than using the digitized image. Be careful though. Some processors will take your film, but digitize anyway. Make sure you get a real enlarged photo image. By digitizing, you will have more control over the image to correct color, contrast, exposure, etc.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 1:45 pm 
Huron wrote:
By digitizing, you will have more control over the image to correct color, contrast, exposure, etc.
This is an important clarifier. Software, which requires an image file, gives WAY more control over contrast and other image manipulations than classic negative-to-print enlarging process. I spent years working in a pretty high end color darkroom, where I had ability to do things like contrast masks and so forth, so I have a very direct knowledge of the comparison. But I fully agree with Huron that if you have a negative that is well exposed and color balanced, and if the contrast of the scene is matched to the contrast of the negative/print combo, then you'll do better enlarging directly from the negative - you will lost some quality in any extra step such as scanning (going through another set of optics, and there is some loss in going from continuous analog tone and color levels to the discrete digital levels).

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jan 01, 2015 9:43 am 
thanks ..yes still hav the 35mm neg's ...I only shoot film..it's expensive but fun..