Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rock balancing, a meditative art form.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 8:54 pm 
For the rock and stone lovers amongst us I submit this sweet video by the rock balancer artist Michael Grab. Over the past several years he has developed a meditational practice and art form from balancing rocks in various locations. He started in Boulder Creek in Boulder, Colorado in 2008. Here is a video he produced for 2014 of some of his work. From his website Gravity Glue are these words: Gravity Glue exists to share my (Michael Grab’s) experience in the art of stone balance… All Gravity Glue images and videos exhibit real rocks that I’ve balanced and photographed myself… The process boils down to contemplative stone arrangement; involving patience, adaptation, slow-breathing, steady hands, and a plethora of other practiced skills… And this: I am constantly in awe at the stillness, let alone possibility, of such precarious formations, amidst sometimes very turbulent conditions. For me this reflects our own potential to maintain a still-point amidst the variety of challenges we each face throughout our lives. These are not cairns, so please don’t head down that contentious path. Michael’s work is a temporary art form, produced, recorded and released back to the stillness. Enjoy, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 9:03 pm 
Incredible. Even I'd be amazed clean out of kicking those works of art if I ran across one in the back country.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm 
I like the inclusion of the balancings being destroyed by a single small rock thrown at them. They accept that it's inherently an ephemeral art form.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 pm 
Really extraordinary - thanks, zephyr, for posting! The goose standing on one leg at 2:05 made me lol.gif
puzzlr wrote:
...it's inherently an ephemeral art form.
That's why (most) cairns don't bother me so much. The definition of ephemeral depends upon the time frame that it is measured against. Andy Goldsworthy regularly creates works vulnerable to the next rising tide or even a puff of wind. So when he builds a massive cairn containing a void within which is planted a sapling oak, the unraveling may take decades, but is nonetheless still an integral, expected, and welcomed part of the creative process.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 2:36 pm 
Incredible, hard to believe that rocks can balance like that! I found the slow motion reverse destruction clips to be especially fascinating.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 am 
anyone who enjoys this sort of thing ( and hardly anyone I know doesn't...) should check out the art work of Andrew Goldsworthy. He's an artist who mostly uses natural materials and makes incredible albeit temporary compostions. Seatlle Public Library and King county Library system have his books..... up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")