Forum Index > Trail Talk > Adam Helman Passed Away
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:04 pm 
http://www.cbs8.com/story/27812410/carmel-valley-man-killed-in-condo-fire Adam Helman passed away on Friday, apparently dying from a fire at his condo. For those of you who are not familiar with him, Adam Helman was the administrator of the "COHP" website, only the second person to ever visit all of the county highpoints in the western USA, and one of the premier county highpointers & prominencians of our time. His contributions to peakbagging, highpointing, and mountaineering are too vast to put into words here. I had a number of correspondences with Adam over the years. But because I got into county highpointing long after he was most of the way done with the western highpoints, I was only able to do two peakbagging trips with him, Mount Buckner and Big Horn. I can honestly say he was the quirkiest highpointer I have ever met but also one of the smartest people I have ever met. He was fascinating and I enjoyed our time together. He will be dearly missed. My thoughts are with his mom and brother, mutual friends of ours (including Edward, Greg, Bob, Duane, Dennis, among others), other friends, and other members of the highpointing community.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 pm 
Sorry to hear of his loss.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 pm 
What a horrible thing - condolences to those that knew and cared about him.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 8:47 pm 
Adam Helman was a friend of mine. He gave me my first bit of Babka cake while we were trying to climb the worlds highest volcano together. He recently invited me to join him on a hike, but I was too busy planning a different trip, and now I wish I had gone. Adam planned and put together the best peakbagging trip I ever had the pleasure of joining. Here is a picture I took of him while we were in Bolivia on that expedition.
Adam's intelligence surpassed the genius level, however he was socially awkward. He sometimes offended people with his blatant honesty, but apparently unintentionally. His true friends were those who could see his good character underneath the eccentricity and appreciate his unusual intellect. My thoughts go out to his family along with Greg Slayden, Edward Earl, Duane Gilliland, and many others who knew him better than I and spent years together climbing mountains with him.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 6:36 pm 
This is a very sad loss. He gave so much of his time to county highpointing and his knowledge is unsurpassed. My heart goes out to his family and those who knew him best.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 pm 
So sorry for everyone's loss. frown.gif