Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Packgoat packs it up...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 1:08 pm 
Great guy and regular contributor here a while back. RIP George. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/idahostatesman/obituary.aspx?n=george-bogdan&pid=173790312

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 1:30 pm 
RIP George. He was a great guy.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 3:17 pm 
Sounds like he was quite a character. A cast-iron frying pan hanging from his hip. Okay. I would have maybe wrapped it and put it in a pack. Wonder what the home built packs looked like? Yes, quite the character. Rest in peace George!

Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 5:33 pm 
He really was a character. I was lucky to work with George for a couple years before he retired almost 30 years ago. He was 55 then and would come in early so he could leave in time to run Mt Si (twice) in the evening. He organized an iron man event that included running Mt Si, Granite Pk, and McClellan, connecting each by bike ride. He refused to call it a race as it was never about who was the greatest with George. George surrounded himself with likeminded fit individuals, many of whom were older than him, but the young guys loved him too. He was a huge inspiration in the areas of hiking, fitness, fishing, and anything outdoors, but also was a mentor to me in the areas of woodworking, investing, and the importance of family. Anyone who knew George saw that he demonstrated an unusual level of enthusiasm for life- well beyond the common man. I was lucky to reconnect with him a few years ago before his stroke, about the time he posted here. Same ol George. Always planning, and always trying new things and new technologies, though not often things commonly embraced by the mainstream. Like a post here which discusses his method of backcountry fire starting using sliced up bicycle tubes. Or his home built packs. Always eager to share his enthusiasm and never a negative word about anyone or anything. I understand from his family that he continued to plan relentlessly after his stroke and up to his death. Things that could never be possible anymore. His mind did not stop when his body did. Looking back George provided great examples of not just how to be a great man, but how to be remembered. A friend made the sketch below that was included on posters around the office announcing his retirement.
George Bogdan Retirement
George Bogdan Retirement

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 8:03 pm 
What a fantastic life, well lived. You could tell from his posts that he was a man of the mountains and someone who loved life, living it to the fullest. Go in peace fellow traveler.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 pm 
RIP George I never was fortunate enough to meet you but I always enjoyed reading your interesting posts here.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 4:33 am 
RIP George. A life well lived, indeed.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm 
RIP George AKA PackGoat, your stories of adventure travel in NW Territories and other contributions will be remembered right here on nwhikers.net for a long time to come. up.gif well done kindred spirit.

hikes and climbs with malamute