Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Comet Lovejoy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 16, 2015 10:32 pm 
Anyone seen it? Pix?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 am 
The inversion over here finally broke last night a few hours before the rain moved in. Saw it, got some pix. Still processing them. Very cool green color, pretty much no tail, but I was limited to 30 sec exposures because I couldn't find my remote thingy-do. Its proximity to the Pleiades made it very easy to find, could see it as a tiny spark which wasn't as bright as the medium faint stars next to it, in binos it was like a cotton ball. The moon is coming back around shortly, and that will blow it out for the remainder (light pollution), so on the off chance you get a clear spot in the next few days, take advantage of it. It's very high in the sky from sundown to about 9, so it's as good as it gets now.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:31 am 
I took this photo of it on New Years Eve:

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:46 pm 
It's interesting how much it resembles a star trail! tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 2:21 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It's interesting how much it resembles a star trail!
I guess it might just be a star trail, but it was in the right position to be the comet, and was travelling in approximately the right direction.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
sten

sten
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:19 pm 
I looked for it on New Years without success. Had a clear patch this week and saw it through binos ... Barely a green smudge. My pix looked just like star trails so not too exciting.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSun Jan 18, 2015 8:17 pm 
I saw it tonight when there was a break in the clouds between rain showers. I couldn't see it with my naked eye--too many street lights in our area. 10X50 binoculars revealed a green fuzzy ball but I couldn't make out the tail.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 19, 2015 11:40 am 
The tail was basically non existent on Friday night with my instruments. I've been grinding and regrinding the shots I took Friday night, and see little evidence of a tail. This was 30 second shots using my Canon DSLR at prime focus (F5) on my 6" wide field schmidt newtonian. I got 24 usable shots, and combining them all has so far not yielded a tail. The nucleus is however a very vivid green.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 pm 
Some how got very lucky, clouds cleared and much less haze than Friday night. The tiny, wispy thin tail is now evident by eye in the scope, and shows up faint but unmistakable in my 30 sec exposures through the scope. I also set up my other rig and did a few piggy back shots, framing the Pleiades and the comet, a tiny green brush stroke near them.