Forum Index > Gear Talk > Leather lined mountaineering boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Serpico2359

Serpico2359
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:51 am 
I'm a LEO, and it's required we wear black boots. I wish Limmer would make the mids in black. I want a boot with Norwegian Welt construction and all leather inside and out.....in the color black.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 am 
is it not possible to stain/dye the leather? or spray paint hockeygrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am 
Serpico2359 wrote:
I'm a LEO, and it's required we wear black boots. I wish Limmer would make the mids in black. I want a boot with Norwegian Welt construction and all leather inside and out.....in the color black.
Arent your fellow Leo pals wearing Danner type military combat boots? That's what id suggest. Leave the expensive hiking boots for hiking. A like a diss. Ranger Joes

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
iron

iron
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:16 am 
Serpico2359

Serpico2359
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:35 am 
I've got danner mids. I've had them 13 years.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 16, 2015 12:16 am 
My fabianos have been soled and resoled, and some day soon, I'll need to begin the grieving process and start over. Raichle and this other outfit Limmer still make a trad boot?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Serpico2359

Serpico2359
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 am 
Could someone please post a direct link to the Raichle site where these boots can be had? I can't locate them anywhere on the web. I've tried mammot and they don't have anything on their site.

venom

venom
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 3:38 pm 
Serpico2359 wrote:
You're going to be hard-pressed to satisfy all that criteria. Especially the leather inside. They just aren't doing that any more. Probably due to durability issues (see: your Limmer problem). Danner makes a black version of their Mountain Light II. It meets your criteria except for the partial cloth-based GTX lining inside, but otherwise is a bomber boot:
This eBay store sells them and they get drop-shipped directly from Danner brand new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danner-Mountain-Light-II-5-034-Black-Leather-Hiking-Boots-30860-USA-ALL-SIZES-/171329736396?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 REI sells the brown version, go there and try them on to get the size that fits you (maybe they have the black ones, ask). The Danners favor a narrow foot but they do have a wide version. Another thing: I would really consider using an aftermarket footbed like Superfeet. It's easier to replace the footbed than the whole boot. There may even be leather footbeds out there if you insist on the feel of leather.

Serpico2359

Serpico2359
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 7:44 pm 
Thanks!

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 am 
Serpico2359 wrote:
Could someone please post a direct link to the Raichle site where these boots can be had? I can't locate them anywhere on the web. I've tried mammot and they don't have anything on their site.
Ut Oh. Looks like their military boot line has been discontinued! ARG! Now I too will have to look for all leather boots. Gah, do I have to go to Korea to get them... I need a new pair.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm 
You can get whatever you want here. You just have to pay for it. Randy Merrell boots.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostMon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm 
I got me a pair of old school Raichle's from off this very site back in 2005 after mentioning that I lost my beloved Montangas to Katrina. They were well broke in at the time, but in my size 8.5 , put in my insoles in them and got many more miles before having them resoled, and they are still going strong, but I will be sending them to Seattle to Dave Page to repair the heel pockets. I love them and take good care of them and they serve as my "light" hiker's, I have a similar looking pair of Gronell Stevelio's I got new from Italy which are my " long trail/heavy pack/off trail/ mountaineering boots. Old school boots rule!

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostMon Jan 26, 2015 8:13 pm 
As far as I know, they don't make the old school boots like the Rotando's any more( which is why I treat mine like gold). But if your looking for that kind of boot(all leather, Norwegian welted, steel D ring Lugged sole) check out Danner, they make that kind of boot, and the made the replica of Cheryl Strayed's Raichle boots in the movie/ book "Wild"

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 pm 
Got a pair of leather lined made by Mammut (Raichle) that were made in Romania a couple years ago.