Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Deflategate
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:44 am 
half fast wrote:
But, it is more difficult for me to grasp why the NFL are basically doing nothing about the Pats and I am sure there will be nothing meaningful done until after the Superbowl...
More on this from the NFL, no surprise to me anyway... down.gif down.gif You gotta love Sherman's comment!!

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 am 
Nothings gonna happen on this until after the Superbowl yet they keep beating the dead horse. Talk about it when there is something to talk about...

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 pm 
Quote from NFL Rules "BALL DIMENSIONS The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell. The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces. The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game." That makes it sound like the referee is the one at fault here. Does anyone have a couple of spare footballs? I would like to do a blind test to see if I can tell the difference between a ball inflated to 12.5 PSI and a ball inflated to 10.5 PSI.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:47 pm 
half fast wrote:
But, it is more difficult for me to grasp why the NFL are basically doing nothing about the Pats and I am sure there will be nothing meaningful done until after the Superbowl.
The NFL has never rushed investigations. How long did the appeals for the seahawks PED's investigations take? I think it's a good idea to get all the facts before hanging someone. I know a lot of seahawk fans are afraid of the patriots and hope they get DQ'd. Sorry, under no circumstances is that happening.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 2:05 pm 
Daryl wrote:
I know a lot of seahawk fans are afraid of the patriots and hope they get DQ'd. Sorry, under no circumstances is that happening.
Afraid, yea right... lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Since Wilson has been the seahawks QB the Seahawks are 10-0 vs Superbowl winning quarterbacks. This should be no different if he doesn't play like he did in the first 56 minutes of the last game... I don't think Belichick makes the same poor endgame management mistakes that the Packers coach did. Eli Manning 2-0 Tom Brady 1-0 Aaron Rogers 3-0 Drew Brees 2-0 Peyton Manning 2-0 Three of those wins in the playoffs. I'm not hoping for anybody to be suspended. Play the damned game and quit talking about this/let it resolve itself in the off-season...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm 
Winning by having the other team disqualified would be a pretty shabby unsatisfying way to win. On the bright side if the Hawks lose the Pat will have a big asterix (*) in the record books.😉

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 pm 
Is Deflategate important?! This article shows why this is a big deal, and the long-term effects have likely been beneficial to the Patriots: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/warren-sharp/stats-show-the-new-englan_b_6555802.html?utm_hp_ref=sports ------------
reststep wrote:
"The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to befurnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game." That makes it sound like the referee is the one at fault here.
The thing is, the referee had already approved the PSI for each of the footballs prior to the locker room attendant taking them. So the referee should be in the clear, for the most part. Exploring this further, there seem to be a lot of questions surrounding the Patriots' locker room attendant taking the footballs from the officials' room and into a bathroom for 90 seconds or so. So there is more than enough time to deflate each of the Patriots' footballs. But here is the part which not many people seem to be discussing, nationally. The locker room attendant took the footballs from *both* teams. With that in mind, in theory he could have deflated the Patriots' footballs while also inflating the Colts' (or whichever other opponents') footballs to a more maximum level... increasing the likelihood that the Patriots would not fumble their footballs while the opponents would have a higher fumble possibility. Just food for thought.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
JPH

JPH
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 4:05 pm 
Redwic wrote:
This article shows why this is a big deal, and the long-term effects have likely been beneficial to the Patriots:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/warren-sharp/stats-show-the-new-englan_b_6555802.html?utm_hp_ref=sports
This article is a classic example of cherry picking and misrepresenting stats to support an argument - there are plenty of comments below the article to show this. The dude's obviously got an ax to grind against the Pats.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 10:54 am 
Or...temperature changes?!
Quote:
An experiment performed by a team at Carnegie Mellon provides empirical support for the Patriots’ claim to have done nothing unusual. The Carnegie experimentalists inflated a batch of footballs to 12.5 psi at a room temperature of 75°F, then let the balls equalize to a new ambient temperature of 50°F, resulting in an average pressure drop of 1.8 psi. (They also wet the leather balls to simulate the rainy conditions of the game, surmising that this might allow stretching that would reduce air pressure in the ball, but this seems likely to be a minor factor.) The Carnegie experiment is video-documented here:
Deflategate solved?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
half fast

half fast
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am 
This line of "reasoning" totally cracks me up... shakehead.gif If this were a "real" argument or proof for the Pats... Why didn't the same thing happen to the Colts footballs?... How could it have miraculously only affected the Pats footballs? liar.gif Really... this is the best that they can do? A video I watched this morning had Boomer insisting that Sherman should be fined for the comment that he made about whether he thought that anything would be done about deflategate. It is kind of funny that Boomer never once said anything about deflategate which was the whole reason Sherman made the comment.

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 am 
Most of the comentary I read about this uses the F change for the ideal gas law when the proper scale is Kelvin. 20 degrees F is insignificant as a percentage and not enough to make a 15 percent change. I noticed Faux is going with the Pats so I would not recommend a denier website for honest information. In addition there is a video of a locker room attendant taking the balls into a bathroom for 90 seconds.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Davinci

Davinci
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Nixon easily won the '72 election...the logic is that he should have been given a pass in regard to Watergate since it didn't really effect the outcome. Integrity is over rated. Bankers and Wall Street guys get bonuses for cheating. Presidents get elected by cheating. Car dealers are trying their best to rip you off. Comcast charges their 33,000,000 customers a mystery 6$ billing "error" in order to make extra $$$. Should we really expect people to play it straight when the "examples" win by cheating? the death of capitalism
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Let NE play in the Superbowl and let history judge their character.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 12:10 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most of the comentary I read about this uses the F change for the ideal gas law when the proper scale is Kelvin. 20 degrees F is insignificant as a percentage and not enough to make a 15 percent change. I noticed Faux is going with the Pats so I would not recommend a denier website for honest information. In addition there is a video of a locker room attendant taking the balls into a bathroom for 90 seconds.
LOL...advocating that a logical fallacy should dominate your judgement isn't the best advice. I have to admit I used that link rather than going to the source for a reason...fish bait. biggrin.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm 
I still think that if the QB's supposedly all notice an under-inflated ball that the referees should too....I bet they will be giving them a little squeeze prior to placing them on the field going forward. doh.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
JPH

JPH
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:51 pm 
half fast wrote:
If this were a "real" argument or proof for the Pats... Why didn't the same thing happen to the Colts footballs?... How could it have miraculously only affected the Pats footballs? liar.gif
Maybe the Colts prefer footballs pumped up to the max allowable pressure? So the same relative loss would still be above the minimum. ETA: it sounds like the refs don't necessarily check every ball with a pressure gauge. Maybe they checked just by feel, it was approved just slightly below 12.5, then went down even more in the cooler air. From what I can tell, the approval of the balls is at the ref's discretion and isn't nearly as scientific as everyone makes it out to be. moon.gif