Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mt. (I-90).
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 am 
Cut out of work a bit early yesterday to make the best of the weather. Had heard that Granite was in a low-snow condition, but was just shocked to be able to hike to the top via the gully taking maybe 50 steps in the snow, total (and all right below the lookout). The back side, where the summer trail runs near the top has more snow (north-facing, wind load, etc), but the south face is nearly bare. I hiked all the way to the top in bike shorts and no shirt. Felt like a late May afternoon. On the down side, at the top there is the remnants of a tent platform between the lookout and the high point. Sitting next to it is a large turd of either human or canine origin. Either way, EXCEPTIONALLY poor form to leave a sh## behind. Burying turds in the snow is not an acceptable disposal method. On trails that get snow like Mailbox I've frequently seen people kicking snow over dog turds in winter. PLEASE be more respectful of those that come behind you. Please. Edit to add: On the way down at dusk I found a black bandana on a rock below the gully crossing. I carried it down and tied it to one of the outhouse roof posts. No snow on Mailbox
Granite South Face
Summit pano
Lookout at sunset

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
OMG! eek.gif That's almost spooky to see such a lack of snow in late Jan.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm 
Yeah, we saw that on Sunday when we went toward Pratt and yesterday went up the peak that shall not be named with out any snow to the 12 flag. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 4:08 pm 
bawl.gif Yikes it is bare and dry up there!
cascadeclimber wrote:
Burying turds in the snow is not an acceptable disposal method. On trails that get snow like Mailbox I've frequently seen people kicking snow over dog turds in winter.
Yes, there are some classic spot, e.g. the start of the snowy road in toward Gold Creek Pond, and the end of the exit road from the Alpental "Backcountry" where you can find a truly tragic volume of dog poo melting out come springtime.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 pm 
Unbelievable. There is actually less snow up there than when I hiked it around Christmas.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm 
I don't understand the dog poo thing either. I have taken my brother's dog, Gary, hundreds of times on these I90 corridor hikes. In snow, I'd end up carrying 2 or 3 of his prodigious loads which end up dangling about my pack. You can't "bury" them in snow. It only preserves them until the melt-out, where many unsuspecting "souls" end up with more than mud on their "soles." ...Loren, I could have gone yesterday.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 am 
I sheepishly admit that I have been guilty of this. I know when my dogs are going to defecate (soon after the meal), and I try to keep my eye on them, but sometimes I've gotten distracted. Sorry. One thing we dog owners can do to even the score is religiously remove all the litter, crap, crap bags, and graffiti we find -- especially at home in the city -- who patrols the neighborhood more than dogwalkers?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm 
What I find facinating are plastic dog poop bags tied to tree branches along popular trails. When I see these at first light -- it's a good guess that whomever tied it there walked right past on the way out. if you aren't going to "pack it out" -- at least "make the deposit" off the beaten path by a hundred feet or more -- whether there is snow or not. When your dog makes a deposit near the beaten track use your snow-shovel to move it away.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
if you aren't going to "pack it out" -- at least "make the deposit" off the beaten path by a hundred feet or more -- whether there is snow or not.
If you aren't willing to carry the feces of your pet home, perhaps the best choice is to not bring your pet? When my kids were in diapers I didn't sometimes leave the dirty ones where I changed them because carrying them away was inconvenient, right? Cleaning up and leaving things at least as nice as you found them is an integral part of sharing these experiences with your pet or kids. And if your pet doesn't stay close enough to you that you are 100% certain of when it takes a dump, your pet is not "under control" and absolutely should be leashed: "He's Friendly" is not enough to be leash-free. Coming down another trail at night last week I nearly stepped on a tiny, dark colored dog that came up the trail toward me, away from its owner. Had the person I was with not said something, I would not have seen it and would likely have squashed it. But about that disconcerting lack of snow...

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
If you aren't willing to carry the feces of your pet home, perhaps the best choice is to not bring your pet?
Last time I checked Granite Mtn wasn't under "Pack it all out" regulations -- unlike the popular Mt Adams climbing routes, popular areas of Mt Rainier. I agree that leaving a turd (either human or canine) along the beaten path around the lookout was rude. However if disposal had been made 100 yards off the beaten path -- would you have known or cared?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 pm 
If a tree falls in the forest.......

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
If a log falls in the forest.......

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
If your dog wears a diaper, carry the damn dirty diaper out! Otherwise, doing what you'd responsibly do with your own or your child's poo seems like a reasonable approach. I tire of the "will come back for it later" bags-o-dog-poo that are increasingly showing up trailside. Especially the ones that look days old. I'd much rather that the owner had done as Randy suggests than take this approach... Is spray in TRs OK when the OP starts it? wink.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 pm 
joker wrote:
Is spray in TRs OK when the OP starts it? wink.gif
I would be accused of being an imposter if one of my threads here didn't somehow divert into a discussion about the behavior of some pet owners in our mountains. Said another way, same sh##, different day. smile.gif And yes, if your or your dog's poo is tossed out of sight I would still object. Out of sight does NOT mean out of smell. And I've smelled some raunchy dog turds lately along a few popular trails. It's pretty effing nasty to be going at 95% up Mailbox and get a big lungful or steaming turd-whiff. Proper *backcountry* disposal of poop involves deep burial, not just pinching or chucking it out of sight. My rule of thumb for myself is that if I didn't find it there, I don't leave it there. And also try to carry out at least one more piece of garbage than I took in, food and other "biodegradable" items included (especially banana peels and toilet paper). If everyone did this, it would be very rare to see (or smell or step in) and garbage on our trails. And with this I will conclude my contributions on this matter until at least the back half of 2015. biggrin.gif

If not now, when?
El Puma

El Puma
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 pm 
Looks like you had a nice day Monday as well. I was up there Sunday (via the gully as well), and after comparing pictures found out I had been there exactly a year ago. You can guess which picture is from when...