Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > HB Restricting River Access
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tod701

tod701
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
They will probably sell you a pass for $100.00 per year!
Only if the revenue goes to somewhere you don't every recreate.

Tod
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Here is the newspaper article. http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/07/16/2472944_w-richland-council-votes-to-add.html?rh=1 The video link is on the Whitewater page.
Thanks for the link, but I didn't see anything in the article mentioning the bill (although I'm sure that they are related). I'll watch the video later. The bill is really pretty vague:
Quote:
(1) If a parcel of public land is one-quarter of a square mile or 8 less in size and is adjacent to a body of public water and the land 9 is or can be used to access the body of public water, the 10 governmental entity which has jurisdiction of the land must provide 11 adequate public parking for persons utilizing the land to access the water.12 13 (2) If adequate public parking is not provided, using the land to 14 access the water for other than a governmental purpose is prohibited. 15 If adequate public parking is not provided, the governmental entity 16 which has jurisdiction of the land must post a warning sign for the 17 public that clearly shows that using the land to access the water is 18 prohibited and states the sanction for a violation of the prohibition. (3) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
In particular, it specifies using the land to access the water, not the use of the land itself. This seems like really poor wording to me, because it would punish those least likely to cause offense, and would make it difficult to punish the obnoxious partying litterbugs who are the root of the problem. These irksome individuals could use the land as long as they didn't get in the water. It seems to me that a better way to control the problems at popular river locations would be to address them directly and place strict size/noise/curfew restrictions on gatherings on the shores of rivers and streams. I know several locations in SW Washington that have been overrun by nearly constant summertime parties that involve illegal fireworks, drugs, copious amounts of alcohol, and loud music. The shorelines in these areas are of course badly littered with all kinds of disgusting and hazardous debris. There is a very real need for some kind of crackdown on the issues that were the instigation for HB1056, but the way it goes about them is not only unnecessarily heavy-handed, but would also be unenforceable and ineffective.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 am 
This HB looks like total BS and is so broadly written that it appears to apply to all public lands less than 1/4 square mile in size that front on ANY "body of public water". This HB does not just restrict access to rivers, but presumably also affects public access to lakes, Puget Sound, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the waters around the San Juan Islands and possibly the Pacific coastal waters as well. In many places, public access to Puget Sound waters is only available over small pieces of public land, including undeveloped or developed public road ends or other small pieces of public land that do not have parking spaces, such as a highway bridge right of way over bodies of water, not just over rivers or streams. This HB would adversely affect not only public kayak/canoe access to waters, but presumably could shut down public access to swimming and fishing on public waters. Because waterfront land is so valuable, I'd bet that there are not a whole lot of public waterfront lands that exceed 1/4 square mile in size, so this draconian HB would presumably apply to the vast majority of public waterfront lands in the state. Sounds to me like these folks need to go back to the drawing board to come up with better legislation to address the perceived problem.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am 
Think of all the pullouts folks use to fish off the banks of rivers. Those would be off limits and then there's the added expense of all the signs.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 pm 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Sounds to me like these folks need to go back to the drawing board to come up with better legislation to address the perceived problem.
Ancient Ambler, everything you said in your post was right on the money, with the exception of the quoted part. This bill was introduced because of some problems going on in specific places, in this case on the Yakima River. We don't need new legislation to solve this problem whether it's isolated or not. It's already illegal to litter, park illegally, trespass, use illegal drugs, and probably most of the things that are going on adjacent to the landowner's parcel. If people are littering, cite them. If people are parking their cars unsafely/illegally, ticket or tow them. If people are trespassing on this guy's land, charge them. If the local law enforcement isn't responding to ongoing illegal activities, what is going to change with designated parking? Which public landowner agencies have budget to inventory, assess, and subsequently sign/manage/enforce this program? Instead of directly addressing a problem Rep. Haler introduces a over-reaching and draconian bill that will have drastic effects on Washingtonian river and perhaps lake and saltwater users all across the state. Please contact your rep and urge them to oppose this bill.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 5:21 pm 
The silliest thing about this bill is that the problematic area is contained within the city of West Richland and the West Richland city council has already taken action to address some of the issues and the effected residents are happy with the city's action. Why the state needed to get involved at all isn't clear -- Perhaps Larry Haler just felt like he needed to prove that he wasn't asleep in Olympia.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 5:48 pm 
I think the place where this bill really goes most wrong is in mandating that all small parcels of land adjacent to water be closed to the public unless they meet the requirements of the legislation. A more reasonable and practical solution would be to give the government the ability to temporarily close these areas on a case-by-case basis if and when problems cropped up. The ability to enact and enforce such land closures could potentially go a long ways towards helping communities deal with the problems that so often occur at popular areas along rivers and streams.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 am 
Here's one reply: I am not sure what the reason is for this bill, but it seems way too broad and likely to affect way too many people, cutting off access to too much land/water. If this bill moves, I will work with the sponsor of the bill to narrow the focus to whatever specific location or situation has led him to bring the bill -- but I do not believe it is acceptable in its current form. Ed

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tod701

tod701
PostSat Jan 31, 2015 7:39 pm 
HB1056 is currently before the House State Government Committee. If you oppose it you might want to let the committee members know ASAP. Their email addys: Sam.Hunt@leg.wa.gov Steve.Bergquist@leg.wa.gov Jeff.Holy@leg.wa.gov Luanne.VanWerven@leg.wa.gov Sherry.Appleton@leg.wa.gov Carol.Gregory@leg.wa.gov Brad.Hawkins@leg.wa.gov

Tod