Forum Index > Gear Talk > McHale packs -- I'd like to see some
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 am 
I have a McHale pack,black spectra grid with red straps and trim and matching hip belt pouches. The hip belt, best I have ever used period. I am looking to order a full Dyneema Bump 35 for a trip to Everest, Yes they are pricy but good craftsmanship and exotic materials and quality are never cheap.

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 am 
BigSteve wrote:
BC22 wrote:
So pricey! I don't get it.
Custom-made to fit you and only you. They are a bargain because the carry so much better than anything else and can last 20 years or more. I got my first McHale in 1994, after carrying IF packs built by Osprey, Gregory, Kelty, Jansport. Carried my first McHale one day and I never looked back, regretted that I had not gotten a McHale years earlier.
Even at 8lbs, you will never get my two McHale Alpiners out of hands unless rigor mortis has set in. That extra 3-4lbs over "modern" medium packs you do not really notice and if you ever want to carry a large load, not that anyone really does want to, you can. If I had another $800-$1200 laying around, sure I would buy a modern McHale pack and drop 4lbs off my pack, but alas, no I do not have it. No, I do not use these packs for simple overnighters and sub 20lb loads, but anything with ropes, ice axes, crampons, rack and multiple days, HELL YES! They shrink down even for simple overnighters if you really want even the old alpiner to do so.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 am 
spamfoote, sounds like you are a big fan of McHale's Critical Mass (CM) belt, which I agree is great for big loads. Have you tried a McHale with a Guide belt?

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 pm 
Nope