Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What Inversion?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jan 29, 2015 4:03 pm 
A satellite shot from this typical January afternoon...
What Inversion?
What Inversion?
Except for a handful of days when we broke out, and a few days above it all at Mission, it's been one gray January on this side of the crest. shakehead.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 pm 
I'm right there with ya. This is the part of the year that life ain't so grand. I think it's the wetsider's revenge for March-Oct.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 pm 
Went through a solid month of this in yakima back in the late 80's. Drive up to the gate on Chinook Pass - bright sun, look back toward town - horrible.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jan 30, 2015 12:01 am 
Ah, I see on that map the cold, grey fog of the Toutle Valley. It can be a beautiful day everywhere between the Cascades and the Coast, but that one horrible patch of loathsome cloud will resolutely cling on from dawn till dusk while the rest of the Pacific Northwest basks in brilliant sunshine.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 am 
well, the upside is, at least it keeps it cold. huh.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 30, 2015 12:31 pm 
All sunny here. I tell my Omak friends to come for a visit, but they do not. In a couple hours, I shall change from long pants to shorts, and head out for a walk. Yesterday was quite warm--60 something. Oh well, next week it might rain.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 30, 2015 10:49 pm 
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-ddwinter-murk-of-eastern-washington.html

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jan 31, 2015 7:37 am 
Thought we might be able to get above it on Chelan Butte yesterday close but the blue skies were just out of reach. The freezing fog made the vegetation absolutely beautiful though. it looks like the area hasn'the seen sun in quite some time snowy with occasional flurries with a brisk wind at times and temp. In the teens - twenties.

Living in the Anthropocene
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 31, 2015 8:00 am 
Yah, I grew up on that side and am seriously thinking about returning, but the winter inversion thing goes on the CON side of the list. I think we set a record one year and I moved to AZ in Feb. that year. I left the fog above Pendleton, OR. When I got to AZ, my neighbors thought I was crazed. I had a lawnchair, it was 40 something degrees which felt wonderful, and the sun was out. So, I set up the chair in my driveway and awaited the movers. The sun felt so wonderful! My neighbors were bundled up and walking or driving by...

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Feb 02, 2015 12:57 pm 
I live in North Vancouver we are aways from the gorge and the fog has been relentless in this inversion. Some days it was hard to reach forty degrees. And the fog would thin a couple of hours before sunset. While it was in the sixties on Hood and even a couple seventies on the Oregon coast. Yesterday it rained and now a high overcast and the temp is 58 and climbing. Heather and crocuses ad color to my moss filled yard.

tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Ah, I see on that map the cold, grey fog of the Toutle Valley. It can be a beautiful day everywhere between the Cascades and the Coast, but that one horrible patch of loathsome cloud will resolutely cling on from dawn till dusk while the rest of the Pacific Northwest basks in brilliant sunshine.
I have driven more than once up that valley praying I would get above the fog before Johnstone ridge heading for Cold water peak. Sometimes I had to get past Harrys ridge to rise above it but it can make for quite a show in the high country up there.