Forum Index > Partners > Mt. Daniel on Saturday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostWed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 pm 
I'm looking to climb Mt. Daniel from Tonga Ridge this weekend. I don't know if this route has ever been attempted. It looks to be about 15-20 miles RT all off-trail with 8000-9000ft of elevation gain. It will involve a very long day, glacier travel, steep snow, and travel in avalanche terrain. I can fit one person in my jeep to reach the trailhead. Probably head up Friday after work, car camp, and get up early to start the route. Then car camp again Saturday, I would anticipate starting and ending both well into the dark hours of the day. Let me know if you're interested! Should be awesome.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 am 
I'm interested but curious about your route. Could you draw up a gpx route or gmap path?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am 
Sure, it's been done, although unlikely mid-winter in one day. eek.gif If you pull it off I'll be looking for your TR. Take a headlamp smile.gif Cool area I've done this in the reverse direction: Tonga Ridge > Fisher Lake > Ptarmigan Lakes > Pt. 5789 > Lake Clarice > Marmot Lake > Jade Lake > Dip Top Gap > Pea Soup Lake > Lynch Glacier Word is that you can cut the corner from Ptarmigan Lakes via Terrace Lake and over the S ridge of Terrace Mtn. You could also avoid Fisher and Ptarmigan Lakes by going via Lower Fisher Lake then over the gap N of 5789 Terrace to Clarice Lake.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 12:14 pm 
I'm wondering -- given this wacky winter -- how far up the Cle Elum river road you can actually drive. The usual trailhead is @ 3400ft and there is bare fricking ground at that elevation at Snoqualmie Pass.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 1:52 pm 
I have done the cut over the shoulder of Terrace and the only part that is a pain is the drop down to Marmot Lake. Would not be much fun with a couple feet of slop on it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 3:15 pm 
bummer, I have to be at home Friday nights, so could only do this sort of thing on a Sunday. LMK if you'd ever be up for something. (happy to drive.)

christensent

christensent
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 8:48 pm 
Michael Lewis wrote:
I'm interested but curious about your route. Could you draw up a gpx route or gmap path?
Here are three possible routes. The upper two routes are more technical. The lower route is considerably longer but requires no glacier travel or exposure to extremely sketchy avalanche terrain.
Assuming I don't find a partner for an upper route in a day (come on, just convince yourself it sounds fun!), I might try to solo the lower route as a 2-day trip this weekend.
RandyHiker wrote:
I'm wondering -- given this wacky winter -- how far up the Cle Elum river road you can actually drive. The usual trailhead is @ 3400ft and there is bare fricking ground at that elevation at Snoqualmie Pass.
Tonga Ridge a few weeks ago. A little snow won't stop me. Should be all hard pack snow this time, not worried about the drive. I do not recommend following me wink.gif
Edit: Actually, it appears that Tonga Ridge trailhead is further back than I thought. I drove to about 4500ft twice this winter, I would go even further down the road (which actually then goes down-hill) before starting this quest to Mt. Daniel.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat