Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower CCC trail access issues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat

themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 4:53 am 
This was a first for me and it was actually pretty comical but it could have gone south really fast. A group of us were doing a short trek up to the lower CCC trail by way of Mt. Si rd. On our way we passed a man doing road work with a front end loader who began yelling at us that we were on a private road and to get off. I politely stated that we were NOT on private land and continued our trek. The man (who appeared to be roughly 300lbs and intoxicated) began to violently yell at us repeating over and over and over that we were on a private road. Our brisk walk turned into a jog and then eventually a run after the man who was still yelling at us drove his machinery straight at us. It was not hard to get away since the big machinery only goes so fast and we were able to easily outrun his speed. By the looks of it, he did not look like he would be able to run at all so we did not feel too threaten but really did not want to have a confrontation with him so we continued running all the way to the blue gate at CCC trailhead where there was 3 or 4 cars parked. We encountered another couple walking back to their vehicle and they asked who was yelling? We filled in the couple with the details, wished them luck and continued on our way up the CCC trail. We could still hear the sound of that big machinery making it's way towards us and the man still yelling at full lung capacity that we were on private road and trespassing. The rest of the trip was a non issue as we were doing a point to point and had a car parked at Mailbox and did not have to return the same way. Anyone else have any nasty experiences or been harassed by the locals for using the recreational forest road on the way to Lower CCC trail? BTW, The CCC trail and Sitka Spruce trail are both in excellent conditions!

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 am 
Yikes. So how far from the CCC trailhead did you park? TIA

tlake

tlake
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 am 
I would contact the DNR. The gate at the end of the road states you need a Discovery Pass to park. It would seem odd if the DNR posted that a Discovery Pass was needed to park but you were not able to drive to the gate gate. The road does go through some private property near the gate but the rest is on DNR land.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 am 
I'm guessing the DNR has an easement but the property owner is not happy about it so he harasses people in the hopes that people will be turned off and quit going. I wonder if he went up and did anything to the cars that were parked there? Seems like that might be his next step, or worse having a weapon next time if he is really a crazed lunatic. Probably just blowing smoke in the hopes people will be scared off.

monorail

monorail
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 am 
Looking at the WTA trip reports for the CCC road, it seems this is a common problem. I would report it to the sheriff, especially if he was behaving in a threatening manner. This kind of thing seriously pisses me off. Gee, I live near Sea-Tac airport--- I guess that means I should regard the airport as my own private property, and threaten/chase off anyone who tries to go there! Of course, if I did that, I would have a variety of law enforcement coming after me in a hurry, and rightly so... and it shouldn't be any different for people in rural areas. The CCC road is definitely open to the public. I think it's important to report this kind of thing, because even though it didn't turn into a violent encounter, it sounds like it could have--- and sooner or later, it probably will with that guy. At that point, it will be important for LE to have it on record that this guy has a history of threatening and harassing people on public property.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 1:02 pm 
That @hole has been doing that for years, possibly well over a decade and gets away with it. Rumor is that he has some friends in the DNR/Forest Service that let him get away with it. Wouldn't be surprised if the Good Ole Boy System has him in good with the local sheriff, otherwise I don't understand how it could be going on so long. He used to have a HUGE sign on the road saying "NO RECREATIONAL ACCESS". Anyone remember that sign? Sadly, I think all we can do is hope the fat slob has an early coronary. It amazes me when people buy a house on a road to a major destination, which sometimes they even figured was a feature for buying the house, then don't want anyone else to use the public road. rolleyes.gif That guy is especially scary because he seems to be able to get away with anything.

friluftsliv
themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat

themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Yikes. So how far from the CCC trailhead did you park? TIA
We parked at Little Si. Traversed Big Si, Teneriffe and went up Mt. Si Rd. to access the CCC trail at the blue gate.

themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat

themountaingoat
The Mountain Goat
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 2:09 pm 
I will be emailing both the DNR and WTA and file a complaint regarding this incident. It sounds like others have had issues with this guy bullying them while making their way to the official lower CCC trailhead. I know that I will be carrying my greentrails map that clearly shows that this road is a "Recreational forest rd" in the event that this happens again. Although the guy in the front loader would probably give a rats ass what the map says and demand I get off the road. I too agree that he could potentially use a weapon in order to "protect his property" YIKES!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 3:40 pm 
Because the Middle Fork road has been closed since January I spent several days exploring areas in the lower CCC area. I had heard general stories like this one for years but nothing so blatant. During those trips I made a point to speak to several local residents I ran across and none of them had a problem with accessing the CCC TH via the county road. So while this one person really has some issues let's make sure not to blame the whole neighborhood. One time I parked on the edge of the road at the wide hair pin turn for about an hour and found a scrawled "This is not a parking spot" note on my windshield. Fair enough, even though there was plenty of room and no explicit "no parking" signs, but I won't do that again.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 3:57 pm 
A friend got their car keyed for parking there again no no parking sign mad.gif Sounds like the guy has some anger management issues, just a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Chasing someone with heavy equipment is assualt with a deadly weapon and Washington is a no back down state. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hutch

Hutch
PostMon Mar 02, 2015 4:55 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Because the Middle Fork road has been closed since January I spent several days exploring areas in the lower CCC area. I had heard general stories like this one for years but nothing so blatant. During those trips I made a point to speak to several local residents I ran across and none of them had a problem with accessing the CCC TH via the county road. So while this one person really has some issues let's make sure not to blame the whole neighborhood. One time I parked on the edge of the road at the wide hair pin turn for about an hour and found a scrawled "This is not a parking spot" note on my windshield. Fair enough, even though there was plenty of room and no explicit "no parking" signs, but I won't do that again.
There's been a history of parking issues back there. Doesn't justify the actions of the Valley Trash mentioned in this thread, but I'm kind of shocked that the DNR hasn't found a way to make some more official parking.