Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The end of planned obsolescence?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm 
It is news that will cheer anyone who has struggled to get a vacuum cleaner, fridge or TV repaired only to be told it’s probably cheaper to buy a new one. A new government decree in France is forcing manufacturers to tell consumers how long their appliances will last. French companies will also have to inform consumers how long spare parts for the product will be available, or risk a fine of up to €15,000 (£11,000). And if this wasn’t enough, from next year faulty products – whether it’s mobile phones to washing machines – will have to be repaired or replaced for free within two years of being purchased. Guardian article

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:29 am 
There is no way any such legislation would get passed in the US -- unless we de-gerrymanger the congressional districts and elect Elizabet Warren as president.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 12:53 pm 
Yeah, then we could make wasting resources mandatory in even more areas. Cost = resources+energy. If it's cheaper to replace the vacuum, that means less waste, not more. This does of course assume that the market is relatively undistorted, which is not likely in the US or France especially.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 2:14 pm 
The problem I think, MtnGoat, is that manufacturers are intentionally making it very much a pain in the neck to repair an item. It becomes more hassle than it's worth, so u just buy a new one.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 2:50 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Cost = resources+energy. If it's cheaper to replace the vacuum, that means less waste, not more.
Mtn Goat...are you saying cost = waste? I disagree. Waste is different than cost and can't be equated. Also, "cheap now" doesn't mean "low cost in the long run". What about costs outside of the normal economic viewpoint most of us have? example: The cost to future generations who have to deal with our trash (trash = waste) or depleted resources.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm 
My most recent example is a portable dishwasher. Purchase price was 400 bucks. It quit draining after about a year of use. I cleaned the drain, ran water thru the drain hoses, etc. None of that worked. So I bought a 20 dollar pump from a sketchy website that I shouldn't have given my CC to as a last ditch effort. None of this stuff was in the manual. The new pump did solve the problem. But the thing was such a pain to take apart to get access to. Upwards of 100 screws or so. I lost some of them of course. My wife bought a new one before I could get more screws and get it reassembled.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
The problem I think, MtnGoat, is that manufacturers are intentionally making it very much a pain in the neck to repair an item. It becomes more hassle than it's worth, so u just buy a new one.
I think on the whole this is pretty likely false. Manufacturing, integration, and the sheer productivity of an increasingly automated production process can result in this outcome without any intent at all other than cheaper easier to produce product. Even if it was intentional...so what? *Demonstrate* your personal values and accept the inconveniences...and refuse to buy items you cannot repair. Will it be tough? Yup. But markets operate on what people *actually* choose, not what they *claim* to value, and all this means is the results we see are the undisguised, true value judgements expressed in the tran$fer called trade. Of course, a lot of people hate trade for just that reason...it doesn't hide their values, it exposes them.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Mtn Goat...are you saying cost = waste? I disagree. Waste is different than cost and can't be equated. Also, "cheap now" doesn't mean "low cost in the long run". What about costs outside of the normal economic viewpoint most of us have? example: The cost to future generations who have to deal with our trash (trash = waste) or depleted resources.
There is no way to quantify the 'cost' to future generations in either case, since no markets exist to obtain those costs. If enough people actually decided to engage in a voluntary market taking these things into account, then you would.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 pm 
Too bad we can't have great legislation like this in America shakehead.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:56 pm 
Yeah, why not make wasted energy and resources mandatory by law LOL. That'll save the planet.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 pm 
I don't see how making products last longer wastes energy and resources.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:18 pm 
I don't either...until you make it mandatory by law. Then you've stepped right on the very best way to insure inefficiency. One, you've now partly changed the customer from the private parties buying the products, to the regulators. Two, add to the inputs of energy and resources on the side of manufacture before, the additional inputs of the time and resources on both sides of the regulatory system, regulation and proof of compliance. Even with the same outputs, you've now increased the required inputs. Three, the market will not stay static and by adding mandates, you've added market distortions and all areas and consumers not directly impacted by the regulatory regime as producers, will change their choices and preferences to respond, and in many cases avoid, the changes. Use the vote which is unavoidable to producers, unnecessary to legislate, accrues both the risks and benefits to the chooser directly and empirically, and retains the highest flexibility and response to *actual* customer value judgements without distorting the economic process of markets at all...your $$.