Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Golden Tunnel
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 11:21 am 
Stan-D-TectR wrote:
I did show your post to my buddy and he laughed. He says you're naive. There's no enforcement for stuff like this.
This lawyer doesn't have good ethic. Just because there may not be enforcement does not mean it’s OK to break the law. Regardless of whether or not its the law, I think most people on this forum would leave artifacts simply so others can enjoy, as mentioned earlier.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am 
That tram set up looks like a ski lift.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm 
Stan-D-TectR wrote:
OK, I'm outta here. I've searched the site and it's not very friendly to metal detector folks. shakehead.gif I did show your post to my buddy and he laughed. He says you're naive. There's no enforcement for stuff like this. So you're on your own, Sheriff Ringworm. He did relay a warning though - he's been on many trips with the club and says that the member are "well armed", whatever that means. I'm pretty sure some of the young guys are fond of the automatic weapons or what have you - in any event he says if someone encounters the club members working or excavating it's best just to walk away quietly. Don't try to be a hero. His words not mine.
That's a common sentiment from thieves, it's true. Nice try in distancing yourself from the comments. Yet, you relayed them, thus intentionally adding a threatening point.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm 
What the hell is that guys problem? Those comments are absurd at best. Did you not read about karma? rant.gif Miners and lift maintenance/operators are born of the same ilk and early ski areas owe a lot to the mining industry.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm 
Someone close by may want to keep an eye on the site if possible!

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm 
Most likely someone just pissy that the info was made public...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm 
don't try to be a hero, shorthand for we're fine with being thieves, and murdering thieves to boot if anyone gets in our way with little stuff like who what we're stealing really belongs to.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 am 
I'd say it's all doable now with no snow.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Badger

Badger
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 2:04 pm 
Chico wrote:
Someone close by may want to keep an eye on the site if possible!
This site is protected by the Monte Cristo Preservation Association . I have sent them a notification of this idiot's intent and a link to the thread.

Badger

Badger
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 7:08 pm 
Here is the response from the Monte Cristo Preservation Association From David Cameron Hi Bob, Thank you very much for sending the alert and the link. It is very much appreciated. The location is not at Monte Cristo, but I am aware of it and know both Phil Woodhouse and Daryl Jacobson. We have all been involved with Monte related things for decades. Just the same, I have notified the Forest Service about what seems a valid threat, as the individual knows things about 19th century mining equipment and I assume has been active elsewhere. Those in the forum exchange who mention valid federal laws and regulations regarding protection of artifacts on national forest land are correct. Use of metal detectors at Monte Cristo is forbidden, for example, and much of the area also is on private property. A few years ago we did have a major theft. We helped with the investigation, and the individual was found guilty and sentenced. Those laws are enforced and do have teeth. Members of the forum definitely have a role to play in reducing theft and vandalism in the mountains. It has been a worse problem than usual this season with the lack of snow pack to keep out those types of people who don't have the moral constraints to keep from wrecking things and giving hikers a bad name. This winter At Monte a privately owned cabin had its door smashed open with an axe, a partying group created a major mess and scattered stored items from under a place, and attempts have been made to get into others. Forum members can report incidents to the sheriff's office by calling 911, letting others know of problem areas or individuals through forum discussions, and just by their presence in the hills have a positive effect by letting possible offenders know that what they do may be observed and have consequences. The Forest Service doesn't have the budget to make repairs when damage occurs to public property and depends a lot on the good citizens to help them out. Organizations definitely have a role to play in this too, something we've been focused on for over 30 years in the Monte Cristo area. But I have to tell you, it does get old cleaning up after people and fixing things they destroy.

redfox

redfox
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 4:59 pm 
That's great! Thank you for contacting him. David is a great guy.

xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 pm 
Ugh. The thread that won't die. Can at least the A$$hat that posted all those photos please delete them from this thread? That seems to be the problem here.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Jun 12, 2015 10:46 am 
xman_reborn wrote:
Ugh. The thread that won't die. Can at least the A$$hat that posted all those photos please delete them from this thread? That seems to be the problem here.
I think it's unfair to refer to the photographer as an asshat. He took photos of historical artifacts, nothing more. It was Stan detect who threatened to steal the artifacts and implied the folks were armed and not to be trifled with.

xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostFri Jun 12, 2015 11:31 am 
They're both Asshats. If Asshat#1 hadn't posted the pictures and locale, Asshat#2 would not have had an interest in stealing them.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jun 13, 2015 2:07 am 
xman_reborn wrote:
If Asshat#1 hadn't posted the pictures and locale, Asshat#2 would not have had an interest in stealing them.
Many years ago, Underground Explorations themselves published the first pictures for general public consumption in book form and by leading a helicopter broadcast on local TV, replete with video photography of the area. The regional interest was born at that time. And everything since that time can be blamed on Pandora (Pandora's Box). They opened it.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.