Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Newbie with a Question:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rick H

Rick H
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 pm 
Hope this finds someone.....I spent a LOT of time in the Little Wenatchee area when I was a kid. I've hike the old and new trails up to Theseus and Minotaur hundreds of time over the years. I was introduced to this area by my Grandfather, who learned of Lk. Theseus from a "trapper" that ran a trap line up Theseus Creek to the lake. In those days, there was no trail to the two lakes as there is today. His trap line ran from the junction of the Little Wenatchee River and Theseus Creek, up the east side, through the vine maple. He had a small trapper cabin about half way up to Lk Theseus and a main cabin on the east side of the Little Wenatchee river, right on the river bank. At some time, he had even 'hand built' a road for his Model A, from the Little Wenatchee River Road down to his cabin on the river. Anyone have any idea what his name was, or any history on this gentleman? He was tall, slim, wore dark 'suit style' clothing and I only knew him as "Buck". I'd REALLY like to learn more. He treated me very kindly when I was a kid. The timeline was the mid to late 1950's. I know it's a long-shot since there likely aren't many left that knew of him. Any Help would be appreciated.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm 
I knew a trapper in the early 1970s from Cashmere named Mr. Balsdon (or something). He was the grandfather of a hiking friend. There is a display about him in Chelan History Museum in Cashmere. I stayed at his orchard and he showed me his furs - lectured him about the evils of trapping. Different generations...

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Rick H

Rick H
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 2:57 pm 
Thanks Snowbrushy. Your input on Balsdon is interesting. That would have been Howard Taft Balsdon (married to Dora) and he did own and operate orchards in the Cashmere vicinity. He was born around 1907 and passed in 1983. At the time I met him, I would have been from 6 to 8 years old. And that would have put him in his early 50's. That my friend is around the age I recall, that he would have been at the time. Considering that there weren't (most likely) a lot of old trappers left in the area, the likelihood is high that Balsdon was the gentleman I met. Guess I might just have to take a trip to the Cashmere Museum this summer. Many Thanks.....it's a start.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Chico

Chico
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 3:11 pm 
Local historical societies and museums are always your best source. If they don't know they oftentimes know who does. Worked a couple seasons out of the USFS ranger station there, living in the bunkhouse. Love the area! I was on the brush disposal/fire fighting crew.

Rick H

Rick H
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 3:19 pm 
Chico....Thanks for your contributions over the years. That area (Lake Wenatchee / Little Wenatchee River) formed my love of the wilderness.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 8:20 pm 
Yea, I've been thinking all day about his first name. It was Howard! Nice guy, I was a teen and I picked apples for him one season. Thanks for reminding me. He has another grandson over there named Craig Bourgault (L and T silent). Another trapper family with old roots in French Canada. He lives in town on the river. Figures. He needs a canoe to complete the Northwest story. He has an ad on Google for driving taxi. Maybe he can help you. Good luck!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Rick H

Rick H
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 8:44 pm 
Thanks Snowbrushy. I'll look into that. I've sent a note off to the Cashmere Museum, so we'll see where that goes also. Hey....did you ever hear of Howard Balsdon being nick-named....."Buck". That's how the gentleman was introduced, to me.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 pm 
He did not, but then he wouldn't have mentioned much to me about what he did on the trail including his trail name, Buck. He had a barn filled with all kinds of furs hanging. I really liked Mr. Balsdon but (His) trail work was something that I simply didn't and don't like to discuss. He did say something about the Entiat. If that means anything...

Rick H

Rick H
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 am 
I appreciate your help on this. I would simply like to find out who that man was (by name if possible), to fill a curiosity that has plagued me for years. You got me on the trail. Thanks Again.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm 
Rick H: My family had a long history in the Lake Wenatchee area. My granddad was the district ranger way back in the teens, and my dad used to run a pack string there. We spent one summer living in a small cabin at Crescent Beach on the lake, and camping at the Camp Creek CG. I remember the cabin but don't know if I ever met the trapper. Yes I think his name was Buck. My folks would have known him. When we lived at the cabin at the lake, probably around 1940, my brothers and I used to play with 2 brothers, Bruce and Byron Dickenson. They also lived on the lake just down the road from us. I think the Dickenson family still live around the lake. The 2 brothers would be in their upper 70's or lower 80's. If either or both are still alive, they might be able to shed some light on your question. Good luck on your quest. Please share if this is of any help. DB

Rick H

Rick H
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 2:25 pm 
Well...I talked to Howard Balsdon's Grandson this morning. He had little to offer, other than the information that the Cashmere Museum has on his Grandfather. It looks like a road-trip is in order this summer. According to both Snowbrushy and the grandson, there are photographs of Howard outside of his cabin and a 1/2 dozen news articles on his exploits. He was well known in the Cashmere/Wenatchee area. I'll know the cabin if I can see it in a photograph. I was inside that cabin with Buck and my Grandfather at one time. That memory is as clear as a bell. The Forest Service burnt it down (sometime in the late 60's early 70's). Silly thing....but I would like to ID "Buck", before I end up joining him.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
trestle

trestle
PostSun Mar 08, 2015 8:34 am 
Not silly at all and good luck with your pursuit of history. I myself have many memories and ghosts of memories I'm trying to track down before time runs out on them. up.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 am 
Rick H wrote:
I talked to Howard Balsdon's Grandson
The grandson has a mother who is the daughter of the trapper. Her name is Donna. I haven't seen her in about 7 years but she would probably know all about it. PS The Grandsons children have the family photos of the trapper.

Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Mar 08, 2015 2:28 pm 
Snowbrushy.....I haven't traveled this trail before, so I really appreciate the blazes that you are leaving for me. Yer a unique cut from the rest. Thank You, for the help. I'll search out Donna and those pictures, for sure. I'll head that way in early April, right after the Museum opens. I hope to meet them all. And I hope that "Buck", turns out to be Howard Balsdon. If not, maybe there will be another spur I can take.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Mar 08, 2015 2:32 pm 
Dick B.....the Dickenson (Dickinson) name was enough to get me searching. I suspect there is a grand-daughter or great niece still in the area. I've dropped her a note and we'll see what comes of it. THANKS!!

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa