Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolf encounters?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 8:30 pm 
Wolf encounters in Washington - not all that rare as you might think. link The link has links to more detail/original articles etc in the text itself.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 8:58 pm 
Phil wrote:
..of being chased and driven up a tree by two wolves in the Elwha Valley (I think)
If you jog around cougars or wolves something can snap in their brain and they go into hunting mode with the jogger as the pray. Climb a tree. When in doubt carry bear spray which is what the city police use against dogs.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I was skiing at night, during a full moon, across Waskesiu Lake in Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan when a pack of wolves came running out of the treeline and headed straight for me. They passed right by within about 20 feet and never slowed their pace, running to where I had come from.
Schroder, this is an amazing story. Thanks to the O.P. for starting this thread so that I could have ever heard this one. What a scene that must have been---all those elements and the setting. Yowza. ~z

Tempus Puget

Tempus Puget
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 9:54 am 
I read somewhere that wolves on the west coast trail of Vancouver Island attacked and killed at least one hiker a few years back, and the wolves in question (smaller than mainland wolves) were later killed by some gov't employee. I remember one wolf standing outside a cabin door on an island up near Alert Bay one night, but it ran off when we came out the door. Still, the 50 foot walk to the next cabin was a bit tense under the circumstances.

Who can leap the world's ties and sit with me among the white clouds?
glenoid

glenoid
PostWed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm 
I am sorry. I know this is about negative wolf encounters, but I want to chime in anyway about my encounters.. Back in the late 70's you would occasionally see a wolf sitting on it's haunches on a roadside snow bank between Anchorage and Eagle River, just watching the traffic go by. Yes, not negative.... A year or so ago watched a wolf cross a clearing up in the Blue Mountains. Didn't seem to want to come near our group of people camping out. Just seemingly glad to mind it's own it's business well away from us. Again, sorry, no negative encounters...

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 7:23 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Anyone see or had encounters with wolves? What do you do if you're solo?
Here you go Brucester fresh off the press: Suzanne Stone, senior northwest representative of Defenders of Wildlife, agrees. She has tracked down wild wolf packs for research projects and, as she said, "never felt at risk or afraid." http://news.discovery.com/animals/endangered-species/wolf-attacks-more-myth-than-reality-150311.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 7:54 am 
No negative experience. I do stream surveys in NE Oregon and I see tracks (sometimes very very fresh ones) frequently. So, they are seeing me, I'm just not seeing them. I also live near the wilderness and we have wolf tracks, scat and elk kills. But nobody has had a bad encounter. My neighbors think I'm crazy because I hike around our woods with 1-5 dogs and it's rumored wolves are drawn to dogs (they want to kill them) and I don't carry a gun.

Tempus Puget

Tempus Puget
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm 
Reading other posts has made me curious about my memory of the article (Outdoors Magazine?) about wolf attacks on Vancouver Island. I did a google search and could not find any reference to a human killed, but they did kill a few dogs and were seen as having been "tamed" by human contact, in one case actually being fed hot dogs by hand from some hikers(!)... Another comment made was that when the wolves act curious and observant, this is consistent with scoping out an unfamiliar potential prey. I recall encountering a black bear in a very remote part of the north cascades in the 60s. It immediately turned and ran as we clomped across a corduroy bridge, obviously unaccustomed to humans, but we all know about bear behavior in areas where they are accustomed to us. As much is it seems a special experience to be approached by a wolf, it might be best for them and for us to discourage such familiarity.

Who can leap the world's ties and sit with me among the white clouds?
tinytowers

tinytowers
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 1:11 pm 
Treehugger5 wrote:
Hutch wrote:
Wolves making people their prey is so rare I don't think it's worth your mental energy to prepare for, but on the other hand, crazier things have happened. Just ask the dude from Idaho who got chased while on the AlCan highway: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2013/jul/14/motorist-has-photos-wolf-chased-sandpoint-cyclist/
Rich Landers-- anyone who lives here and has ever met the guy views with skepticism anything he writes. rolleyes.gif 1) Clearly there was something in the saddlebags. 2) The wolf wasn't interested in the man himself.
Email back-and-fourth with Rich quite often. Read all of his stuff, and own his book. What's there to be skeptic about? From my experience, he's been pretty spot on. No need to bash him, the guys an all-star.

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 3:05 pm 
Have you ever met him in person?

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 3:20 pm 
So no one's actually had a negative wolf encounter. Imagine that. Maybe "The Big Bad Wolf" is just a PR problem.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 5:42 pm 

don't believe everything you think
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:02 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
So no one's actually had a negative wolf encounter. Imagine that. Maybe "The Big Bad Wolf" is just a PR problem.
There isn't any ranchers chiming in. It's a different story for them.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:06 pm 
I think we're talking about hiking here. Not too many people hiking with delicious prey animals. I can see how some of these stories might be different if folks had their sheep with them. biggrin.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 pm 
Found these informative video on youtube, Wolf Etiquette