Previous :: Next Topic
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Jan 05, 2015 10:28 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Fort Nisqually
This was located on what is now the Home Course in DuPont. If you use hillmap and zoom in on DuPont and use the Caltopo option, it should show up just to the NNW of the Old Fort Lake.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 pm 
Thanks, I'll try to find it. Most of the road that goes from DuPont to Steilacoom is on military reserve land and off limits to the public so I'll look for a back road around Nisqually. Fort Nisqually was a big operation especially after the fur trade when it continued as a large commercial farm and ranch. I've always wanted to stand at it's exact original location and imagine the sights and sounds of the misty past. I wonder if there are any ghosts there? agree.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:15 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Most of the road that goes from DuPont to Steilacoom is on military reserve land and off limits to the public
DuPont-Steilacoom road cuts through some JBLM areas but is open to the public. In any case you could just take I-5 to exit 118 and follow Center drive to the second light and turn left onto McNeil St and follow that to the golf course (the Home Course). It should be just to the west of the hole on the 1st hole of the DuPont Nine course.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:15 pm 
Jaberwock, what year is that map from. Cool stuff.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
Jaberwock, what year is that map from. Cool stuff.
Not sure... Caltopo.com serves the layer up as "1915-1945" I'd imagine if you dug around the awful USGS map download site you could find the matching map for Dupont with a more precise date. Good luck!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 pm 
Voxxjin wrote:
It should be just to the west of the hole on the 1st hole of the DuPont Nine course.
Thanks for the directions. On Tuesday afternoon I went over to Fort Nisqually at Point Defiance Park (Tacoma) and lay in the sun outside the east palisade wall and thought about this past outpost of white civilization in a seeming crazy wilderness. Lets all hope that the hallowed ground just to the west of the hole on the 1st hole of the nine course is remembered in a realistic way.
Hudsons Bay Company Law In Tod's day the Hudson's Bay Company was the only law in its territory. The laws were strongly slanted in favour of the white minority. A Native who killed a white man was executed immediately, a practice which Tod disagreed with. "I knew that it was illegal, strictly, for I had seen at York Factory the British Parliament Act," said Tod in his reminiscences (Wolfenden, 1954). The men in charge of forts were isolated from any of their peers who might have disapproved of harsh actions. The white men were able to bend the laws for their own purposes. In one instance, Frank Ermatinger decided that the native man who ran off with his country wife should lose his ears as a punishment. There were no courts or lawyers in the territories so chances of anyone receiving a fair trial was based solely on the nature of the man in charge of the post. Many men in the service of the Hudson's Bay Company preferred violence to diplomacy when dealing with the traditional inhabitants of New Caledonia (Belyk, 1995). http://bcheritage.ca/tod/caldon/alex.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.