Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center fundraiser
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
Just a reminder, the CBFIC annual fundraiser is coming up soon if anyone is interested. It is being held at a new venue this year. Specifically, it will be at the Chelan Senior Center at 534 E. Trow ave in Chelan on March 28, 6:00pm. As usual, it is a banquet along with a silent and live auction. Plus (I am sure) some guest speaker talking about fire lookouts. Ticket information is on their website.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 7:01 pm 
Oh, I would love to go to this! But I'm going to some sort of training. I can't remember which class, but they're training me to do something. Are you going? Looks like a great time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Are you going? Looks like a great time.
Well, it looks like we may be going now. We had originally planned to be in Moab and Park City Utah visiting and skiing with our kids. But our son recently informed us that he would be getting married around that time and probably couldn't make it to our family get together. We have since decided to stay here and will probably attend the fundraiser.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Just a reminder, the CBFIC annual fundraiser is coming up soon if anyone is interested.
I might be curious if I could figure out exactly what they do. As a adult civilian I'd be interested in a few areas regarding fighting wildfire. I'd even pay to go to a weekend seminar on certain subjects. * Staging Area Management and FEMA's Role * Hotshot Crews and Smoke Jumper Roles * Local Resources - Food services, Hospitals, Law Enforcement agencies, * Evacuation. Emergency Services. Panic Control. Arrests. Martial Law? * Etc.. The CBFIC website doesn't tell me what they do. I don't get it but that may be me. I have walked through the display at Entiat and really liked it.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 7:25 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I might be curious if I could figure out exactly what they do.
I have to admit two things here. One is that I know very little about what they do and the other is that their web site offers little to no help in that area. As far as I can tell I think they are interested in preserving some of the local history of fire lookouts and fire fighting around Chelan County and the Entiat Valley in particular. I think they have partnered with the city of Entiat to move the Entiat Museum out to that site to make it sort of an overall tourist attraction. About all I do is support them with a membership fee and attend their annual fundraisers. Mainily because I grew up there and used to get drafted into fighting fires when I worked for a gypo logging crew during the summers when I was a college student. Plus, I see lots of people I know at the fundraisers.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 pm 
From their web site - Mission Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center (CBFIC) will inform people of all ages of the historic impact and ecological role of wildland fire; the interaction of fire with human culture; the role of wildland agencies in fire management; and how the public can prevent / reduce the impact of wildfires.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:32 pm 
I totally missed this thread. The CBFIC is a great place; my family has stopped by there several times during the past few years. Their efforts are appreciated. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 7:12 pm 
Under "Future" it Says This: Verbal Interpretation: lectures * forums * panel discussions * tours * special speakers. I'd like to go to a lecture by/about smoke jumpers. There is a big smoke jumper base in Twisp and another one in McCall, Idaho. up.gif I wonder why they don't start doing that every summer at a group campground? They have free talent just up the road in Twisp. Build it and they will come.
smokejumpers_2b
smokejumpers_2b
Smokejumper Training
Smokejumper Training
smokejumpers-visitor
smokejumpers-visitor

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 01, 2015 4:34 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I wonder why they don't start doing that every summer at a group campground? They have free talent just up the road in Twisp.
During the summer all that local talent are probably too busy jumping out of airplanes. We bought tickets to support the fund raiser and had planned on carpooling with my brother who was coming from Leavenworth to pick us up. The night of the event he call to say he was not feeling up to it so my wife and I bailed also. At least we donated three tickets worth of funds.

Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostMon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Snowbrushy wrote:
I wonder why they don't start doing that every summer at a group campground? They have free talent just up the road in Twisp.
During the summer all that local talent are probably too busy jumping out of airplanes.
I did that for 20 years. Two seasons were actually out of Twisp. If its local, Jumpers can be had for evening tour stuff generally. Often there is someone who got theirselves all hurt up and needs to go give a tour. Encourages dem to get back on the list. There is a Hotshot Crew in Wenatchee that I'd recommend even more. Jumpers aren't the only ones who fight fires. Jumpers just get there in a really neat way. The Hotshots spend way more time on fires and see incredible fire behavior. Maybe try for both ?? If you actually want an education regarding fire get a former Shot/Jumper who now works in fuels to bring by a local fire history map and ask them to lay it on thick. Fire fighters don't stop fires. They just delay them.

retired USFS
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 am 
Its time for the annual Columbia Breaks fire lookout fund raiser. This year it will be on April 9 at 6:00 PM at the Wenatchee Pybus Public Market . There will be a showing of the new video "Twenty Years of Change Starting With a Wildfire" by John Marshall. Tickets include dinner and auction and are $35. If you have not been to the Pybus Market it's worth a look.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 7:56 am 
I won't be able to go again this year, but know that this is a very worthwhile event with great folks and usually great prizes, meal, and auction. I sent some money in as we can't go this year. Support the cause!!! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:31 pm 
Its that time of year again, for the annual Columbia Breaks fire lookout fund raiser. Like last year it will be at the Wenatchee Pybus Public Market . Time and date is April 22, at 6:00. Dinner is $40/person and there doesn't seem to be a formal program this year. Just dinner, drinks, mingle chat, as well as a silent and live auction. Info can be had at Columbia Breaks website . You can also read their latest newsletter on that site. The main item is about the memorial trail being built where they mention and honor each wild-land firefighter who has perished on a fire in the Wenatchee/Okanogan National forest.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Apr 12, 2017 1:22 pm 
Along with comments earlier on this thread about the Columbia Breaks center, fire fighting in general, and smokejumpers in particular, readers may be interested to know thatTwisp veteran smokejumper Justin Ramos has a book out about life fighting wildfire and jumping out of airplanes. He has some details about the 30 Mile fire and other regional fires. He doesn't discuss fire lookouts or aerial detection, but that isn't the purpose of his book.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still