Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Getting Silverlight to work in Mozilla Firefox.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:32 pm 
On my PC, Windows 7, on a Mozilla Firefox browser, I use Hotmail, which has morphed into Outlook, as my email. Recently the photos that I send as file attachments are no longer viewable. When I click on them (where it says "View as a slide show"), I get an error message to "Activate Silverlight". So I click on the little button and there's a brief flash, but nothing happens. Instead, the photo frame is dark and the browser freezes. I have to close it to get out of it. I have checked via Silverlight's homepage and the most recent version of Silverlight is installed and supposedly activated. I have been searching for answers to this puzzle and have yet to find a solution. On the other hand, if I open an Internet Explorer 11 version browser and then view the same email in IE, the photos open as they have been for ages. It's just that over the past year or so, I have been steadily using and surfing with Firefox over IE and would like to continue emailing and sending photos via Firefox. Just that somehow something came undone and I can no longer do what I had been doing easily for the past few years. I am not particularly looking to try out another browser, i.e. Chrome, etc. I just want to continue using what I have been using---Firefox. I am using the most current version of FF---36.0.1. Any suggestions? Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 pm 
I've had to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight a number of times while operating FF. It seems less glitchy now, but I'm no tech.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 1:52 pm 
Firefox has started disabling Silverlight and other plugins by default. So you will have to manually enable it. Personally, I'd avoid using Silverlight, simply because it, like a lot of other plugins of the sort, are bug-filled malware bait. You can choose to download the picture attachments to a folder on your computer, like My Pictures, then use either the default windows picture viewer, or download one you like better. --Gray

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 pm 
Silverlight + FireFox is like mixing matter and anti-matter. The main reason to run FireFox is because you think MS is evil and yet Silverlight is a 100% MS plugin. Run Chrome or Xploder

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 2:53 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The main reason to run FireFox is because you think MS is evil
I've got plenty of more reasons than that. While Google Chrome is a decent browser, FireFox renders graphics and text better (than Chrome) and has better developer tools for working with templates. Plus I like the layout better. cool.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm 
Gray wrote:
Firefox has started disabling Silverlight and other plugins by default. So you will have to manually enable it.
Thank-you, Magellan, Gray, RandyHiker and Josh for all your answers. You have given me a lot to think about. And Gray, that certainly helps to understand why things worked, then suddenly stopped working. It wasn't anything I did personally. I really appreciate the links. I guess at the minimum I will have to use Internet Explorer while using Hotmail. Sorry for the delayed response back. I have been away since my original request, but it did allow more opinions to surface. wink.gif Muchas Gracias! ~z

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 12:52 am 
Fun fact, in the future Internet Explorer is going away. Here's a source on it. Spartan is going to take it's place. And it's about time.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 5:35 pm 
Josh Lewis wrote:
Fun fact, in the future Internet Explorer is going away. Here's a source on it. Spartan is going to take it's place. And it's about time.
Great another HTML/Javascript target that is similar to all the others, but also different in subtle ways that are tricky to debug. Forking the Trident code and giving the browser a new moniker will allow them to break compatibility in cases where big speed improvements are possible without the burden of 100% backward compatibility.