Forum Index > Photography Talk > Pictures thru windows ("flightseeing")
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 3:17 pm 
So, going on a short, cheap, Alaskan cruise at the end of next month. While in Ketchikan, I've been thinking about taking one of the "flightseeing" excursions to Misty Fjords. I'd like to get some pics while up in the air... anyone have tips on getting decent pictures when shooting through an airplane window? Would any particular focal length be better? How about aperture? --Gray

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 8:58 pm 
Pick a high wing plane if there is a choice. Sometimes there is a small window you can poke a lens out. If not make sure the window is as clean as possible before taking off. Pilots use a cream stuff to take the hairline scratches out of plastic. Ask them to do it. Shoot as near to 90° to the window as possible and right up against it. The pilot can bank over if you ask. Use a low (number) fstop. I prefer a medium telephoto.

glenoid

glenoid
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm 
My present avatar picture was taken out the pilots window of a Cessna back in 1978. The windows on most of those small high wing planes have tinted windows. This photo was taken on taken on Ektachrome film. Pictures back then that were taken through the windows seemed to work better with a polarizer filter to get rid of as much of the glare/reflection from the window as possible. You open a window and you'll get blown away.... Maybe a small one would work, depending on the plane you are in. Enjoy the flightseeing trip. It should be spectacular! (As for the new digital cameras, I am clueless.)

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm 
If they let you shoot out an open window, do it. But take your hood off, or you'll get blown around. Don't rest your lens or arms on any part of the plane, try to use your body to absorb vibration. Enjoy it, don't forget to look around!