Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Throwback Thursday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 11:38 am 
Found this on Pinterest today. Pretty cool footage from 1955. Good stuff of Mt. Rainier and the coast.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stever

stever
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 pm 
Great find. Cool to see NAS Sand Point aka Magnuson Park now in it's operational heydey. I believe that's a Privateer based off the B-24 that they are flying around in. They used to have a squadron of them out there. SR

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 pm 
I agree...lovely old film. I especially liked the overflight of the coast and recognized places I've camped before. The Clarks Nutcracker at the end was a great finishing touch. Thanks MC for posting!!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 1:19 pm 
Those UW scenes were a bit spooky. Not a single person to be seen...

reststep

reststep
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 5:31 pm 
Cool video. Thanks for posting. I was wondering if that was a Clarks Nutcracker.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 pm 
While the coastal, lake and mountain views were great, I was captivated by the downtown scenes. I loved the shots from First Hill looking toward Elliott Bay and Admiral Hill/West Seattle. Very few really tall buildings, lots of sky and open space back then. From what I can tell (Google Street view comparison) the opening view is looking west down University toward the intersection with Third Avenue. That Palomar Theatre was showing The Wizard of Oz at the time. Then the camera moves to a couple of locations I am not sure about (esp. 00:10...). But by 00:17 we are on Columbia looking west again and can see the red roof of the historic First United Methodist Church on Fifth Avenue. It's IMO one of the most beautiful buildings in Seattle and recently saved from the wrecking ball. As noted in the link, its Beaux-Arts classicism and Byzantine influences were unusual for a Protestant church at the time. Wow, look at Columbia Avenue--so peaceful and calm you could play ball in the street. Thanks for posting such excellent footage. More Cowbell. ~z

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostFri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 pm 
Toleak Point at 2:55. Way cool find Bell!

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Mar 27, 2015 12:22 pm 
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I love old movies. This is a beautiful state, we live in. smile.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 am 
Kinda breaks my heart to see what it used to be like. In the 90's, climbing Glacier Peak, I saw a PB4Y-2 water bomber make 2 passes towards a fire near Darrington. 2nd pass was near eye-level about 9000'. My own private vintage warbird show. When you hear a 4-engine piston aircraft, it gets your attention. Although it's not so unusual in Seattle, where you can get bombed in your backyard:

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
OlympicExplorer

OlympicExplorer
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm 
I agree with your first statement, Seattle was so different back then compared to modern day. Like you, I am a warbird/vintage aviation enthusiast. Seeing the colored video of a PBY4-2 Privateer, local to the Puget Sound and flying over well known places is an absolute treat! NAS Sandpoint was a bustling base back then and many planes were flying in and out of that air strip. As a matter of fact, one PBY4-2 did not make it back. Up on HWY-2 (Stevens Pass), a Privateer crashed on Mt. Index. I have the complete history on the crash and what remains today. The site is located at a very high altitude on a rocky slope. I believe personal items of the crew members were even found (flight jacket, food items, etc). This is a very remote site and requires mountaineering skills.