Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backcountry Scuba
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 pm 
My job is snorkeling creeks. I hike into a site, do a snorkel inventory, hike out, drive to the next creek, repeat. I highly recommend carrying a mask and snorkel on hikes. It's really fun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
melc

melc
PostWed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 am 
Sounds cool. Someone should do it. Not exactly backcountry but I've seen people scuba diving at eagle falls on the Skykomish.

daffish

daffish
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 pm 
Monday at Upper Palisades Lake in MRNP we encountered a group of researchers doing a yearly lake survey. This man had a full dry suit and underwater camera for doing a survey of water creatures, including salamanders.
researcher snorkeling the lake
researcher snorkeling the lake

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
ScottP

ScottP
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 9:41 pm 
Dry suits are aid.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 am 
lol.gif

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 pm 
Really neat stuff!

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSat Aug 23, 2014 7:32 pm 
While on a trip down to the Bend area a month ago I packed swim goggles instead of a mask and snorkel on the flight. Amazing visibility! Get to practice holding breath. Good workout too. Interested in snorkeling alpine lakes? Please pm me! Lots of fun! up.gif

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm 
This is an old thread I know, but snorkeling the alpine lakes is something I've been considering ever since I went to Surprise Lake back in 2013 and the water was the clearest I've ever seen. I am a little baby when it comes to swimming in colder water and haven't actually swam in any of the lakes I've been to. How cold do they usually stay even in the hottest parts of summer? I have a 7mm diving wetsuit, but I'm thinking maybe a shorty or the overall type suit in 2 or 3mm would be a doable option. Any input to add for what type of suit you think you work best as far as a compramise between weight and warmth?

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:48 pm 
Right now I'd wear 7 mil farmer john with shortie, hood, booties, gloves to snorkel. I like staying in for more than a few hours so warmth is key even at the surface. I've been to alpine lakes in the summer with this set up and been too warm. (3,000 ft July/Aug) Clear water on a sunny summer day gets pretty warm on the surface. I snorkel alone in Lake Washington but never in alpine lakes. Prefer being with others! Anyone interested please send me a pm. smile.gif I'd like doing more (with others), such fun with amazing visibility 40+ feet!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 pm 
I've snorkeled numerous high lakes, it's a blast. Definitely a very narrow window for this. I prefer the generally higher, more blatantly ice sculpted lakes with lots of scoured rock and big talus. The view to the depths of the crazy clear water is really neat, going along a cliff into the water and seeing the rock continue down into blackness is neat and creepy at the same time. Rachel, Wappie (kinda boring), Shovel (awesome!), Spade (double awesome), Trap, Grass, Circle, Boulder and Crater (Suiattle), Upper Granite, Francis to name a few. No suit, just good weather, august, and dealing with it if it's cold water.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm 
I definitely wont be swimming right now. I'm thinking June through September depending on how the weather goes. I figure with my current 7mm dive suit weight wouldn't be any worse than if I was to pack for an overnight. I love swimming with fish and would love to find a school of trout or something. Warm lakes I can spend all day in, but cold alpine lakes, I'll really have to judge how long I can stand it. Some testing is needed this year!!

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 6:05 pm 
If you have any extra kilobuck laying around gathering dust or if you happen to be a whitewater or serious seakayaker one of these http://www.nrs.com/category/2572/men/drysuits plus thick fleece bottoms and tops should allow for extended exploration

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 7:30 pm 
I was thinking something just a little bit cheaper..... like 10x cheaper haha. Here is what I'm considering. http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/WATERMAN3#.VPkRImPVtYV

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 28, 2015 4:07 pm 
daffish wrote:
water creatures, including salamanders
Snorkeling with salamanders would be cool. up.gif

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostTue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I've snorkeled numerous high lakes, it's a blast. Definitely a very narrow window for this. I prefer the generally higher, more blatantly ice sculpted lakes with lots of scoured rock and big talus. The view to the depths of the crazy clear water is really neat, going along a cliff into the water and seeing the rock continue down into blackness is neat and creepy at the same time. Rachel, Wappie (kinda boring), Shovel (awesome!), Spade (double awesome), Trap, Grass, Circle, Boulder and Crater (Suiattle), Upper Granite, Francis to name a few. No suit, just good weather, august, and dealing with it if it's cold water.
I'm curious to hear more about this. How long could one stay in the water with a 3mm wetsuit in an alpine lake?