Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Logging on I-90 trails is a possibility
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 am 
I'll toss my opinion into this - some of these monoculture stands from the 40's and 50's need to be logged out and replanted to reestablish some diversity in the forest.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 am 
thank you. please see the Swift Thin project proposal. monoculture forests (the current result of regeneration harvests and replanting several decades ago) are not the way nature intended things.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ThursdayHiker

ThursdayHiker
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 pm 
The idea of thinning the 2nd growth forests along I-90 is very appealing to me. I have always thought that many areas are so densely populated with trees that understory is almost totally choked out. This Hansen Creek project is an ambitious one. I was pleased to read in the project document that the thinned areas will retain at least 50% of the trees and the largest trees will be retained for the most part. What really concerns me are the "Openings". I agree that retaining only 30% of trees (mostly the small ones) is essentially a clear cut. I don't understand how the forest service thinks that this simulates a natural system. There are very few natural openings in a virgin forest. A 21 acre opening would be unusual at this elevation. Today I decided to go out and inspect the conditions in section 16.1 where 5 large openings are proposed. This section is essentially between 1-90 and the Mason Lake trailhead. The detailed map is on page 226 of the project document. A little known but nicely maintained trail traverses ground zero of this proposed logging. It is sometimes referred to as the lower Putrid Pete Peak trail or the Defiance Peak trail. The unmarked trailhead is off exit 42. This is a link to a trip report that I wrote in May of last year(Maddy): http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2014-05-31.5769204235 There are many nice trees in this forest. The forest is however moderately crowded. It would be much more appropriate to thin here and not clearcut. It makes me sick to think of how this trail will be negatively affected by the logging. The devil is always in the details.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 pm 
ThursdayHiker wrote:
"...many areas are so densely populated with trees that understory is almost totally choked out..."
true.
ThursdayHiker wrote:
There are very few natural openings in a virgin forest.
false. Total fire suppression during the last century has effectively eliminated those "openings" that would otherwise have been found in any so-called "natural" setting. Moreover, aboriginal tribes regularly and repeatedly burned huge swaths of forest all up and down the Cascades (and on the Olympic Peninsula) for millennia. Add to what previously were recurrent natural and man-caused fire events natural disturbances caused by lightning and windthrow and you have several "causes" for large openings. At the eastern end of the Upper Crossing Way Trail an excellent example of a large wind-caused opening can be found; it looks like somebody set off a bomb. While it is by no means anywhere near 21 acres, it does make for an excellent sample of that type of disturbance. Natural and man-caused fires accounted for far larger "openings" historically, and those have been encroached upon by surrounding forests, reducing the net amount of huckleberry and large ungulate foraging habitat.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 am 
I got this email from the [edit, not Mountaineers] WTA today. Nice to see that some feedback had an effect.
Quote:
In late March, we asked for your help to speak up for trails in the I-90 corridor. The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest had proposed a timber sale along some of the most beloved trails in the forest. Over 500 comments from our Trail Action Network were sent to the Forest Service asking for the timber harvest project to be to be balanced with protecting recreation and trails. We’re happy to say that the Forest Service heard you loud and clear and made two major changes to their project:
  • The Ira Spring Trail will no longer be used as a road to haul logs on for the timber sale.
  • The Pratt Lake / Granite Mountain Trail will not have logging occur on either side of the trail – the entire unit has been removed from the project.
We can’t thank you enough for speaking up for our trails along the Mountains to Sound Greenway, one of the most popular recreation and trail corridors in the state along Interstate 90. Your input to the Forest Service made a difference. If you’d like to learn more about the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest’s Decision on the Hansen Creek Vegetation Project, check out our blog. Sincerely, Andrea Imler Advocacy Director

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 23, 2015 12:21 pm 
errr.... I thought Andrea was with WTA. wink.gif (she did put together a pretty cogent argument in the letter she sent in.)