Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mt. Jupiter eruption ("Big Hump Fire"), Sept. 10, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 am 
Sept. 10, 2011  Viewed from north Seattle, smoke and ash billow from Mt. Jupiter, a mountain on the east side of the Olympics not previously known to be volcanically active.
Sept. 10, 2011 Viewed from north Seattle, smoke and ash billow from Mt. Jupiter, a mountain on the east side of the Olympics not previously known to be volcanically active.
To reassure a panicked populace that there was no danger to the public, authorities propagated the ruse that the Mt. Jupiter eruption was an ordinary forest fire. Since it did indeed ignite a forest fire -- the "Big Hump Burn" -- many erstwhile knowledgeable people continue to believe this flagrant disinformation, another discouraging demonstration of the power of propaganda and media manipulation. Heavy blowdown of fire-weakened trees still requires frequent logouts on the Duckabush R. Trail in the burn area.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scramblin_james
Dungeness Dweller

Scramblin_james
Dungeness Dweller
PostTue May 12, 2015 9:38 am 
Any facts to support this? Seems pretty incredible and ridiculous.

A man’s true wealth is the good he does in the world. Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. But you are eternity and you are the mirror. –Kahlil Gibran
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 12, 2015 9:58 am 
on Wed Apr 01, 2015 @ 7:27 am wolffie wrote:
lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm 
I did appreciate this, well timed, well planned, post. Informative! Left me a little jealous I hadn't dug it up.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
touron

touron
PostSat May 16, 2015 9:21 am 
This is why I am glad I do not live on the peninsula. It is a great place to visit but a dangerous place to live. eek.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 21, 2015 1:42 pm 
So that's where all the burnt trees came from... I didn't realize it was that recent on that trail, and yea somebody did a very recent major logout on the Duckabush trail.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 12:43 pm 
The actual Big Hump Fire was Labor Day Weekend 2011? I was near High Pass/Buck Creek Pass ENE of Glacier peak, the whole landscape hazed-up, I could smell the smoke, and assumed it was, like, near Darrington. Fantastic blood-red sunset at 7500'. I think it was started at Fivemile Camp -- right next to the river -- somebody just couldn't be bothered to douse their fire. WTA has to do a logout there every year now.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.