Forum Index > Food & Grub > Backpacking Food Challenge - What is your favorite...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 am 
in the old days, wilson's bacon bar+peanut butter+any decent sturdy bread. you could do the same today with shelf-stable precooked bacon, but there was something special about the taste and texture of that wilson's bacon that is lacking from today's bacon....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chickentender

chickentender
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 12:12 pm 
Landjaeger... yup.

"To the last, I grapple with thee"
strider

strider
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 5:04 pm 
Kippers, stringcheese, & Triscuts, especially on a cold day. Heavy, yes. Messy, can be. Oily can to carry out, yes. Lotsa energy, mega flavor, quick & easy as can be, yes, yes, yes. I almost always have a can-o-kippers on board as emergency food.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 7:30 am 
Anchovie paste on Ak-Mak flatbread crackers. Or on anything, or licked off your thumb.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 am 
Jack Links original beef stick. i buy them by the box on Amazon. And goldfish crackers!

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 3:21 am 
strider wrote:
Kippers, stringcheese, & Triscuts, especially on a cold day. Heavy, yes. Messy, can be. Oily can to carry out, yes. Lotsa energy, mega flavor, quick & easy as can be, yes, yes, yes. I almost always have a can-o-kippers on board as emergency food.
connors kippers were always really good, but when the brand changed to brunswick the quality went waaay downhill.. king oskar are sometimes good, sometimes bad. good kippers are firm, bad kippers are soft and mushy.......... no oil in the cans now, it's mostly water. and a lot more salt than i remember years ago... the cans used to have so much oil in them that they made a pretty good firestarter...

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 pm 
Cucumber, salty hard cheese like parmesan and some type of cracker. Cucumber. Lasts 2-3days, depending on how hot it is, slice a piece of cheese.. hard cheeses don't melt and the crackers.. b surprised how many will fit into a Tupperware. Really good on a hot summer day 4 lunch.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce

MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce
PostMon Jan 26, 2015 5:57 pm 
Two french rolls and a can of spam. Cut can in half and split between rolls.

Somewhere between a spam sandwich and a mountain house
TimJohns

TimJohns
PostSun Feb 01, 2015 1:55 pm 
A: Oatmeal. I'm personally good with instant plain, but if you're into 'taste' and 'flavor' and 'texture' and all those fancy things, there's a number of varieties, and your imagination is the only limit to the things you could add in. That said, this thread is making me hella hungry.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:43 pm 
Adding hot/cold water allowed means I choose the Mountian House dehydrated meals. I don't have a favorite flavor, all the ones I have tried have been good. But since I kind of consider that cooking, my "non-cook" vote goes to Goldfishies and peanuts mix. I love it for handfuls of snacking during water breaks, or for my sit down snack/comfort food when I reach my desitnation. I've also added pistachios to the mix, and I might try adding beef jerky some time. The jerky I would use would be the Oh Boy Oberto thin sliced. I think that would make an excellent trail mix for me smile.gif

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
thetreemusketeers

thetreemusketeers
PostWed Apr 01, 2015 11:27 am 
Chocolate peanut butter no-bake cookies! Or any kind of whole grain/oatmeal homemade cookie or muffin. (Except no chocolate chips in the summer because they melt!) I also can't get enough Jiffy chocolate silk individual peanut butter's. I can only find them at Target and I stock up every time i go!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 pm 
Wasa crackers, really good sharp white cheddar cheese and Underwood Roast beef spread. Dark chocolate and dried mangos for dessert.

jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 1:31 pm 
Appetizer: Miso soup. Add hot water. Main course: Easy mac and cheese (Kraft, Annie's Naturals, whatever). (takes awhile for noodles to soak and soften). Combine with Trader Joe's or Aidelle's andouille chicken sausage (I'm comfortable eating this on day one or day two of an outing).