Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Newbie with a Question:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 19, 2015 10:13 pm 
Good news, and congratulations! Now you'll be able to sleep at night!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostMon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 pm 
Dick B wrote:
RH: I remember another family at the lake when we were there in the early 40's (actually I believe it was the summer of '42) The name was Coffee, and I think their daughter's name was Sharon. You might ask Byron about that. Also if you talk to him again, ask if he remembers the 3 Bryant kids, Bob, Jim and Dick. We spent a lot of time that summer roaming the territory.
There are a few people with the name Coffee around Wenatchee still. Not sure how to contact them

Chico

Chico
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
There are a few people with the name Coffee around Wenatchee still. Not sure how to contact them
Phonebook. Online you can make use of whitepages.com. I use that site quite a bit. Some county assessors have data such that with work you can get addresses perhaps. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Rick H

Rick H
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 3:53 pm 
Well.....it's not as simple as I thought. Turns out there is a little confusion as to who Harry (Buck) Buckley actually was. Compliments of our Federal Gov't and the 1940 Census, there are TWO Harry Buckleys' listed. One as "Harry Buckley" and the other as H.P. Buckley. The first was 56 yr. old at the time of the census and the latter was 50 yr. old. That makes one born in 1884 and the other in 1890. Now that should be fairly easy to sort out, but....both lived at Lake Wenatchee and both listed themselves as "Woodsman" in the "Forest". One was widowed and had a sister, the other was single. One graduated from High School and the other reached 8th Grade. One died in 1966 and the other in 1965. It'll likely take a trip to the Wenatchee Daily World newspaper archives (obituaries) to....sort it all out.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 3:58 pm 
Was HP also called Harry?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Rick H

Rick H
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm 
Not sure yet Snowbrushy. That's a good point you make. Still gonna require some deeper diving. "Buck" had a sister that he lived with periodically, according to the folks who actually knew him. And the census entry for "Harry" showed that he was living with his sister (Betty) and her husband (brother-in-law William Smith) at the time. H.P. Buckley had no such relatives listed. I just find it rather ODD, that there were TWO H. Buckleys at Lake Wenatchee at the same time and BOTH were "Woodsmen" and their place of employment was the "Forest". I guess it's possible....just a little strange. Oh and there was an H. P. Buckly and an H. R. Buckley in my research. Both with the same birth date and date of death. I'm pretty confident one was a typo. The Census record for the one, could be read as H.P. or H.R.. It was hand written of course. If nothing else....this is keeping me off the streets. LOL!!

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 4:36 pm 
HP could be named Herbert, Henry, Hector, Haus, Hank, Howard, etc. (any else?)

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Rick H

Rick H
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 pm 
Could be. You are absolutely right. Just weird that there were two Buckleys at Lake Wenatchee in 1940 and both were Woodsmen. I have a theory....that the census takers were, just getting through the day and wrote down, whatever they were given. But then, there are two different death records, a year apart. 1965 and 1966. We're going to figure it out, though.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 7:25 pm 
You are right it is very odd. Maybe it's the same guy and it has something to do with the WWII draft which began that year. Maybe there was some faulty info. about him for some reason. Just a thought. Hey, maybe there's a book in this for you. Hunting Buck. That will cost you a burger and a beer at the Squirrel Tree. agree.gif

Rick H

Rick H
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 pm 
The only thing better, would be a Burger & Beer at the Cougar Inn. But that's long gone, also. So Squirrel Tree it is. Pick the date...... rah4736@excite.com Rick

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:29 pm 
If you find out more about this, I would love to see the details. This is great stuff. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 5:09 pm 
Well....after digesting what I have found and going over the details numerous times, I have figured out that.....The original 1940 Census entry was given by Betty Smith, William Smith's wife and the sister of Harry Buckley. According to her info., she was 57 at the time of the Census and Harry was her little brother....at 56 yrs. old. (i.e. Born in 1884) This listing makes sense, because we know that Buck had a sister. I was a little worried, because I know she had a son and he was not listed. After thinking it through, I know he had served in WWII. It is highly probable that he was in the service, at the time of the Census, therefore he wouldn't have been listed. There was a 2nd Harry Buckley also listed in the census, but his age was shown as 50. That would have made his birth date 1890. And in the Soc. Security database, there are two Harry Buckleys, one born in 1890 and one in 1884. Both had "different" Soc. Sec. numbers. However, there is only one record "Statewide", of the death of a Harry Buckley and only one Obituary statewide. That Obit, is for the Buckley born in 1884. I can find no other record of the "Harry" born in 1890. I'm pretty sure he never existed. I say that because the 2nd entry for the Harry born in 1890, was made by a neighbor lady. She obviously guessed at his age and his level of schooling. There was a note on the margin, that a neighbor supplied the entry information. That pretty much eliminates the Harry born in 1890, the same one that died in 1965. Our Harry passed in December of 1966. I have both his Obituary and his sister's on order. Those should help to validate their relationship and maybe offer more details on their history. Oh, I do know they both originated from Texas. The search continues..... Rick

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm 
A side note of humor....I described "Buck" to one of the few gents still with us, that had known him. My memory was of a tall man, dressed in black suit type pants and coat, with a white shirt and collar. My contact was a bit "taken aback" by that description. He went on to say he never saw him in anything but old jeans and a tattered shirt. He also offered that Buck's sister said at one time, that there was only one accessory that belonged around Buck's neck....LOL! On the re-bound...that gent's brother had to trek up to the cabin one day, to try and find Buck and let him know that his sister had died. He reached the cabin and there was no sign that anyone had been in or out of the cabin. There was no tracks what-so-ever in the snow. So he pounded on the door, as a last resort. Buck was inside and said..."Ya, who's there." The gent announced himself and proceded to tell Buck that his sister had died. From the cabin came, "Ya don't say." That was it. A week later, Buck came down to the Lake, from the cabin. Touche' !! "No Love Loss There." Rick

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Rick H

Rick H
PostSat May 02, 2015 8:19 pm 
Finally....... Buck's name was Harry Ronen Buckley, born in St. Augustine Pa. (August 25, 1884) according to his 1942 Draft Registration. He worked for the Wenatchee District Forest Service from 1922 to 1947 (25 yrs.) and retired. He WAS a trapper in the Lake Wenatchee area. His sister WAS Mrs. Betty Smith, who married William J. Smith on April 1, 1916 in Vancouver, BC. They moved to Wenatchee in 1929. Note: That means Buck was there 7 years earlier. Betty had a son named William Smith Jr. He passed March 31, 1952. Her husband passed August 7, 1943. Betty passed in January 1955 after a 3 day illness and was survived only by Harry. Harry actually ended up living in Monitor Washington, in the last few years of his life, a little bit farther east of Cashmere and closer to Wenatchee. Buck died in December 1966 and is buried in the Wenatchee Cemetery. That means I can find his grave site. That would be cool......morbid, but COOL!!! It's Done!!!!! Rick

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun May 03, 2015 5:59 pm 
Rick H wrote:
Finally....... Buck's name was Harry Ronan Buckley
Congratulations. So, he was in the original Forest Service, Cool! He probably had some tall stories to tell. BTW, the other trapper, Howard Balsdon had an orchard that looked over at the berg of Monitor. They would have known of each other. They were probably friends. If you can try to find his last address. Maybe he lived at the cabin at the orchard.
Hey Rick, does that make us related now? wink.gif