Forum Index > Trail Talk > 1990-ish Blewett/Swauk fire information?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 12:21 am 
Anyone know the name of the 1990 fire at Blewett ? ( I assume it was 1990 I found a 31-second long YouTube video titled 1990 Blewett Fire, but no information posted along with it. The trail was built in 1992) I can't find any information on it; the interpretive kiosk at the Discovery Trailhead says nothing about the fire. Funny thing - it doesn't even say a fire was there; its just inferred by the information about forest fires in general. Perhaps it wasn't very big and there's nothing on it

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 12:57 am 
absolutely no clue but here's a history of the pass and some way cool old photos! wink.gif (did you check "Swauk"? that was right about the same time as when WSDOT was changing the name.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 8:05 am 
It's the same one that swept down Tumwater Canyon, over Icicle Ridge, up Snow and Mountaineer Creeks and over Wedge Mountain. It was part of the Tyee complex & other fires in 1994 that swept Chelan County all the way down from Entiat. I flew over it at it's peak at night and it was quite a sight.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 pm 
Hm. Thanks Schroeder; I thought about that fire, but the trail was built in 1992, I assumed after a fire, for fire ecology education. Or a rebuild of a trail that was destroyed in the fire and repurposed for fire education. So I guess it was built in 1992, then rebuilt after the 1994 fire, then. But the signs don't say anything about when the fire was, and doesn't mention a rebuild after 1992. That's was is so confusing. Yah, Ski, I have seen that history information! I've been hoping JoAnn Roe would write a book on the history of the Old Blewett Highway, but nothing yet! I was tempted to drive Old Blewett yesterday, but didn't want to risk getting stuck back there with no way to turn around if I ran into a road block of boulders. I'll wait til I'm sure others are up there on a regular basis!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 am 
believe last time I drove it was in the fall and it was clear. picked up a whole mess of pine cones - they're everywhere. nice drive. take it slow.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 am 
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am 
Ski wrote:
believe last time I drove it was in the fall and it was clear. picked up a whole mess of pine cones - they're everywhere. nice drive. take it slow.
When you're talking about Old Blewett conditions, last fall is ancient history! I used to drive it in my Miata* and if a boulder was in the road, I could squeak by because the car was so small. If a giant boulder, a rockfall pile or fallen ponderosas and larches were laying across the road, turning around wasn't much of a big deal, either. Bigger deal in a truck, and I've had the bejeezus scared out of me doing a thousand-point turnaround on a steep slope with no room for error. No without any bejeezus left in me, I'd rather be sure folks've been up there immediately before me. *After a few years, I figured a rag-top Miata isn't a good choice for driving Old Blewett bcause of the crumbling cliffs above the road (hint: giant boulders and rockfall in the road). So I stopped doing that.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 12:36 pm 
oh no... not last fall... would have been at least 10 years ago... no idea what it's like now.
Quote:
I've had the bejeezus scared out of me doing a thousand-point turnaround on a steep slope with no room for error
try that sometime in a long-wheelbase chevy 1/2-ton van with NO weight on the rear axle! fun!!! wink.gif