Forum Index > Photography Talk > Considering a switch - Panasonic Lumix
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
protrails

protrails
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 9:35 am 
Hey all - we are considering a switch from the Panasonic Lumix family. We're seeking a lightweight, fairly durable point and shoot with at least 30x Optical zoom and minimum 16MP. Any ideas? Currently on a Lumix ZS-40 and we've been using this family for years - in fact almost every pic on the ProTrails site was taken with a lumix. Examples of our shots with the lumix (wildlife of Olympic): http://www.protrails.com/gallery/569 Thanks! Dave

You can always get ahead but you can never go back...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am 
My mother used a Panasonic camera for a long time before switching to a Sony, and has been mostly pleased with the images it has produced. Their latest and greatest super zoom is the DSC-HX400/B although they do sell much cheaper models. It has a 50X zoom and 20 megapixels (though you should never judge a camera by megapixels alone). Sony's also do great video, and have a number of useful unique and useful features (sweep panorama and handheld low light are the best). Canon and Nikon also make superzooms, but I'm not overly fond of either's current offerings (I've always found Nikons point and shoots to be of inferior quality). You might also consider getting an advanced point-and-shoot with a larger sensor. The image quality will be significantly better, and you will get better manual controls. However, such cameras are also much more expensive, do not have long zooms, and often have fewer megapixels (though again, the quality of the pixels is more important than the number).

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
protrails

protrails
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 12:36 pm 
Thanks for the heads up. Love the 50x zoom! I'll check out the sony. D

You can always get ahead but you can never go back...
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 12:46 pm 
Check out the reviews here at DPReview: Enthusiast compact camera roundup (2014)

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 1:43 pm 
protrails wrote:
Love the 50x zoom!
It can certainly be nice to have, Panasonic has a 60X zoom camera (which is $200 cheaper than the Sony), and I think canon does too. However, I can't vouch for them as I can the Sony, since I haven't used them outside of Bestbuy (I visit that store occasionally just to oggle the cameras lol.gif ).

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
iron

iron
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 1:40 pm 
we've gone through a couple P&S lumix's. seems like they get dust and/or chip easily. looking forward to everyone's recommendations.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Apr 30, 2015 6:32 pm 
For many reasons I just procured a Panasonic LX100 after using a GH2 these past 4 years or so. See link above. Love it so far.

I desire medium danger williswall.com