Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dog poop AND pink flagging tape in one news story
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:09 pm 
Same with Goat Lake in GRWA.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:54 pm 
The very popular North Ridge and South Spur routes of Mt Adams and well as most of Mt Rainier have a "pack it all out" policy. Once the level of human (and canine) traffic gets very busy that's the sensible approach. At Rainier some of the climbing fee goes to pay for helicopter flights to remove barrels of poo. The fees for the Wendy Thompson Hut in BC largely go to helicopter removal of barrels full of human poo. As for Aspen's problem -- perhaps to take your mutt on those trails you'll need to be registered with PooPrints

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Why can't dog owners simply carry a trowel and bury it? That's what backpackers and cats do, do why not dog owners?
Cats carry trowels? strange.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 04, 2015 6:28 pm 
What, you've never seen one?

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 05, 2015 9:20 am 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
biodegradable poop bags. Bag it and pack it out on busy trails. Bury it on less busy trails
I do not think biodegradable plastics are very biodegradable. Not sure, but I think they have to reach a fairly high temperature in composting. All the "biobags" my wife puts in our compost (which doesn't get nearly warm enough) are always still there when it's time to spread the compost, and I get to pick them out one by one. I always get the sh!t jobs. I gravitate to my natural place in the grand scheme of things.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue May 05, 2015 9:57 am 
Well would you rather I leave the turd lie where laid or use the cheaper, not degradable bags? I am not supporting burying dog poop where 100's of dogs poop every day, and my dog IS walking on trails. I do not compost dog sh##. I throw it in the trash. What I'm dying to know is who collects and composts (without baggie) the coyote sh##? And now there is wolf crap to deal with. Big job for a worthy volunteer. Venom was just looking for volunteer activities....

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:03 am 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
I do not compost dog sh##. I throw it in the trash.
Ditto. There are some sketchy pathogens that can develop in dog-poop-laden compost - definitely don't use that compost on food bearing plants unless you are sure you're getting high enough heat going to kill any such stuff, and even then I've read it's not a great idea wolffie! eek.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:03 am 
As someone who has become increasingly frustrated over this flavor of situation over the last five years or so... This would be a non-issue if every dog owner: 1. Kept their dog leashed where required. 2. Kept their dog in sight and 'voice control' where leashes are not required. If your dog is off crashing through the woods, far up the trail, or doesn't *immediately* stop and return when commanded, your dog is NOT in voice control. "Here Fido, here Fido, here Fido. Oh sorry, he's friendly" is not under voice control. 3. Bagged and immediately packed up their dog's crap. Only when the first two things are done is this possible. If you can't see your dog, you can't possibly know when it's taking a dump. 4. Packed out abandoned crap bags from less responsible owners. No one wants to see your dog's turd, bagged or not. Just like no one wants to see mine. It's just disgusting and gross and seriously detracts from the experience of others. And if the number of abandoned/"forgotten" bags is any indication, no, you probably will NOT remember to pick it up on the way down. I don't dislike dogs. I actually like them pretty well. And I don't dislike people, or people who are dog owners. My patience has run out, however, with the minority who are *inconsiderate* dog owners. Being afraid of being bitten or tripping over a dog or one of those 50 foot "leashes", or smelling or stepping in dog poo takes away significantly from the enjoyment of the experience. And while I recognize that you might feel happier when your dog is roaming free and you're not carrying bags of its dung, please, please, please don't be that person. Please. PS- For anyone who is wondering, I am not "Venom". And the mods here know who is using which account based on the IP address from which the login originates. But I will say this: I can certainly relate to the expressed level of frustration with the behavior and attitudes of some people about this issue. And it might be worth trying to understand why s/he has so much energy on this instead of just calling the person a troll for expressing their upset.

If not now, when?
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:15 am 
I find these ranting and raving threads about dog poop, offleash dogs, killer dogs etc etc to be quite silly. The reason being - everyone on NWhikers knows the rules and what should/shouldn't be done. We know that out of control dogs and all that other stuff annoys people on here. So who exactly are you preaching to? The topic has only been brought up about 5000 times on this website. So you're either talking to A - people who don't use the site and will never see your post or B - people who read your post and already follow the rules or C - people who just don't give a f### and will continue to break the rules. This forum needs a rant thread just so people can bitch about various things that annoy them. Threads like these are just a waste of space and provide no value, so might as well stick it all in one thread.

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:21 am 
I'll start: I hate encountering other people on the trail. It's the worst. They can be super nice and courteous, but I still don't like it.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:22 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
PS- For anyone who is wondering, I am not "Venom".
The thought never even came close to occurring to me - if Venom is a 2nd identity I presume that person would not be so willing to speak their mind so strongly on controversial topics using their primary username. Which would rule you out of consideration (and I mean that in a truly respectful fashion, fwiw, as though I may not 100% agree with your posts, I appreciate that you aren't hiding your opinions behind a second account).

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:25 am 
crazyhiker wrote:
This forum needs a rant thread
there's been one available for the better part of a decade...

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:28 am 
joker wrote:
crazyhiker wrote:
This forum needs a rant thread
there's been one available for the better part of a decade...
I meant in the Trail Talk forum. A rant thread for hiking related things.

suziq999

suziq999
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:29 am 
It's not about the sh*t, it's about what is IN the sh*t. Coyotes and wolves are eating (mostly) naturally occurring products in their territory. Dogs are eating freaking lamb and chickens and cows and god knows what by-products and unnatural ingredients and then crapping on the trail. It's introducing foreign material into the environment rather than 'natural' poo.

Hutch

Hutch
PostTue May 05, 2015 10:48 am 
I'll be happy to dispose of my dog's feces once horse owners are expected to start doing the same. Until then I'll just continue practicing courtesy by using sticks or another implement to push it off the trail and out of the way of unsuspecting boots.