Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Reality TV, a signal?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue May 24, 2005 1:06 am 
Think I caught 15 minutes of that "Colonial House": some guy dressed as an Indian stole a chicken from the white settlers and then was berated by a woman acting as the Indian matriarch. Some of their conversations about the event were interesting, and it was better than seeing people eat live cockroaches, but I still found it contrived and bland. I suppose along with the History Channel we have to put up with the existence of Reality TV.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue May 24, 2005 1:12 am 
Stop right there. Don't go trashing the History Channel. That's some of the best stuff on TV! redface.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue May 24, 2005 1:14 am 
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I find the History Channel one of the few good things on television. My comment was along the lines of we have to take the bad with the good. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue May 24, 2005 1:21 am 
Blue Dome wrote:
jimmymac wrote:
People got sick of plastic laminant counter tops
I think I’ve got plastic laminate counter tops and I like them just fine. Not sure what that means in this context, but I thought it was important to mention it.
(I've got plastic lamimate too.) My point is, when something is inexpensive to produce and very popular, its use will increase exponentially until saturation and collapse is reached. You don't see nearly the amount of laminate going in houses anymore. People had enough (too much) of it. I think reality shows have a ways to go before they produce general nausea. But I do believe, in time, they will take on a Jerry Springer stigma and people will turn away from them in general. It may be gradual. It may have a clear turning point like the suicide of some contestant. Will the next craze be one more step lower? I'm not so sure. Stay tuned. Or not.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue May 24, 2005 6:53 am 
MCaver wrote:
eating pig anus?
That ain't one of them freezerbag wanker's recipes is it?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
JimK

JimK
PostTue May 24, 2005 7:39 am 
Jimmy, It has already happened. Though not on camera.
Quote:
and people will turn away from them in general. It may be gradual. It may have a clear turning point like the suicide of some contestant.
Boxer commits suicide

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue May 24, 2005 7:49 am 
JimK wrote:
Jimmy, It has already happened. Though not on camera.
Quote:
and people will turn away from them in general. It may be gradual. It may have a clear turning point like the suicide of some contestant.
Boxer commits suicide
I don't think that will have a impact on reality shows. Jerry Springer beat Oprah after the Jenny Jones ordeal didnt he? I don't watch these retarted things. Short of American Hotrod and American Chopper.

frankm3

frankm3
PostTue May 24, 2005 8:24 am 
MCaver wrote:
Stop right there. Don't go trashing the History Channel. That's some of the best stuff on TV! redface.gif
I really find a lot of what they show really interesting....BUT.... As a criticism, they seem to have a strange fixation with showing WW2 and Nazi shows. There's a lot more history than what happened between 1939-1945, ya know.... doh.gif
Quote:
"Ahhhh, the Luftwaffe....the Washington Generals of the History Channel" --Homer J. Simpson

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostTue May 24, 2005 8:36 am 
I watch Fear Factor with my boys on Monday nights. There's something fascinating about watching people eat pig anus and other assorted grossness. What some people won't do for fame and fortune. Does reality TV signal the End Times? Only one of many signs of the End Times I suppose, if you want to believe in that sort of stuff. My favorite line in that regard was from the old guy sitting in the cafe in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds; "It's the end of the world."

Let me stand next to your fire
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue May 24, 2005 8:52 am 
I will admit I have the reality bug geek embarassedlaugh.gif . Not obsessed but watch many like Contender,Survivor, Amazing Race, some Apprentice(getting bored with that one), and Big Brother. I think they are funny and fun to watch. We also like good tv show like Deadwood or Sopranos. I remember back 10 yrs ago where there wasn't anything original on tv. This is different and as said in other post it will die as soon as someone comes up with something new. smile.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue May 24, 2005 9:08 am 
jimmymac wrote:
My point is, when something is inexpensive to produce and very popular, its use will increase exponentially until saturation and collapse is reached.
I don’t disagree, but there are exceptions. Sitcoms have evolved into the lousy crop of those we have today — they have certainly reached saturation and not collapsed, and have evolved to become a staple. I believe there’s a good chance Reality TV will become a staple just as sitcoms have. The nature of all Reality TV is essentially to “screw over your neighbor.” I contend such messages wiggle their way into our culture with negative outcomes — but placing the “blame” for such phenomena is difficult. Such chicken-egg arguments have been studied ad nauseam: is Reality TV a symptom of our culture, a cause of our ills, a combination of both, or a simple sales tool with no relationship to our culture?
jimmymac wrote:
Will the next craze be one more step lower?
Depending on what you mean by “lower,” almost certainly so.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue May 24, 2005 9:25 am 
frankm3 wrote:
As a criticism, they seem to have a strange fixation with showing WW2 and Nazi shows.
Granted, but I find that era interesting. There’s a lot of compelling footage from that time, so it’s a natural fit. I find the Roman era interesting as well, but there’s something about seeing a low budget re-enactment of a gladiator bout that doesn’t measure up to actual footage of the Allies landing at Normandy. The History Channel knows this and their programming reflects it.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostTue May 24, 2005 4:48 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Now if only commercial Hip Hop would follow...
Hear, Hear! , this one is taking awhile though ! I think it is the "Debil" ! I don't think there is much "reality" left, after the producers and writers are are finished with these puppet shows. I like the amazing race, that is kind of neat boob tube food!

Ebrace life!
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostTue May 24, 2005 4:57 pm 
"Reality Television" is an oxymoron. nerd.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue May 24, 2005 9:29 pm 
I’m not one to read the Bible very often, bet I there’s something in Revelations about Reality TV. Remember the relationship between Revelation #9 and the Beatles? Something about “coming up from the bottomless pit,” and “they had breastplates of iron,” and “they had hair of women,” and how the Beatles started in a place called the something-or-other “pit,” and the “breastplates of iron” signified the metal plates on the Beatles’ guitars, and the “hair of women” was self-explanatory. Reality TV is likely referenced in Revelations, or at least Nostradamus referred to it — one of the two.