Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Photography
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 3:16 pm 
I wouldn't recommend buying less than a 256 MB card. Almost any card will work in any camera. However, the "best" card is often relative: cards that are faster in some camera brands perform slower in other camera brands, and vice-versa. I'm confident SimpleTech would perform just fine and you can get a 256 MB card for $50 shipped from buy.com (after rebate). Save another 2% via ebates.com if you're stingy. suuure.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 5:02 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
1. As Michael states, monitor calibration is critical. I do this every few weeks to make sure I'm close.
Calibration is becoming a major problem for me, I think. 1. What do you do to "calibrate"? Adjust monitor brightness? Or something else? 2. How about calibrating between monitors (or whatever you would call it)? I find that trying to exchange pictures with some people is almost impossible, because I can't shift my monitor brightness enough to compensate. ...... confused.gif .........

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 8:01 pm 
Scrooge, check out the grayscale calibration image and notes at the bottom of this page: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45/#reviewnotes

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 6:34 pm 
Thanks Tom. I think the memory is maybe $65? Oh well Here's what I'm looking at right now. Know of a better deal? G3 Anyway of getting dual monitors to match better. Most I've used the colors are always different. So which one would be correct? Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 8:32 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Know of a better deal?
Allison will probably offer you a few words of wisdom about the lowball internet merchants (particularly those located in Brooklyn NY). Long ago someone offered me these words of wisdom: "a fool and his time is soon parted". Expect a high pressure pitch to buy overpriced accessories. If you you don't bite, the camera will be "out of stock" or they will sell you the camera and keep telling you it will "ship tomorrow" (until you relent and buy the accessories or cancel upon which they will try to hit you with a 10% cancellation fee). Assuming you get past all this nonsense (meaning you relented and bought the accessories), your camera will arrive with photocopied manual, non-USA warranty, 15% restocking fee if there is a problem, etc... In other words, only buy from reputable places. The lowest legit (shipped) G3 price I've seen is at bestpriceaudiovideo.com (and they are good folks to deal with from what I hear). I you want one cheaper than that, this is your only option (the business gold card is free for the first year - I had no problems getting one for my... "Davenport Consulting" wink.gif business). Of course, if you know someone with one of these cards, they might just help you out too...
Newbie Newt wrote:
Anyway of getting dual monitors to match better. Most I've used the colors are always different. So which one would be correct?
Set the monitor "color" to 6500K. If there's still a huge difference between the two monitors I'd be surprised.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 12:15 am 
Don't make the same mistake I did. Maybe it's a coincidence, but my camera had to go to Canon Warranty repair, fortunately is safe and sound, replete with default Japanese ( I think) default language settings.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 5:27 am 
Thanks, I remembered Allison's experience. Did a little more investigating and found... Scammers Damn, it's just too darn hard to beat a *Davenport Consulting* deal. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 1:21 pm 
If you want something more pocketable than the G3 without sacrificing much in picture quality, the New Canon S45 just arrived at Dell Home. Dell is a great place to buy thanks to their 30 day return policy (most places max out at 14 days and/or charge a restocking fee). They also have an automatic 10% off and free ground shipping. If you use ebates.com to buy from Dell Home (Software & Peripherals) you can save an extra 2%.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 7:15 pm 
hmmmmm, will give it some consideration, but will probably shop around or investigate some other brands/models too. Tom, how do you keep up to date on all the discounts/deals/bargains? You should maybe consider having pay for online suscriptions to your consulting talents. Anyways, I had sent an email to the scammers with a vew questions. When I found the reviews about them I emailed back stating I was no longer interested in doing business with them and attached the link. hehe Thanks for the input, as always it's much apprecieated. NN smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 9:44 pm 
Most of my stuff is just a rehash of www.techbargains.com.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 5:31 pm 
Techbargains
Tom, I saw this today A 1 GB compact flash card for $269 Looks like a reasonable price for such a large card. Any negatives on using a 1 GB card? BTW, techbargains is a great site. Thanks for your mentioning it. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 6:57 pm 
1GB seems a bit overkill if you ask me wink.gif. Also, the "standard" Sandisk card is really slow (click here) so I would recommend something else. A downside of having one big card is that if it fails you lose everything (as opposed to spreading your risk if you use two cards). I've never had a failure though (other than human), and the downside of having multiple cards is that you could lose one of them (not to mention the hassle of changing cards) so it's a toss up IMO. I'd probably get a 512 MB, then buy another card later if you feel you need more memory. As allison said, prices will only drop.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 8:58 pm 
1Gb is only overkill if you never shoot that many photos. In the week I spent in Glacier, I shot well over 1Gb. As I only have a 64Mb card, I always have alternative storage on hand. With my current camera, a 64Mb card is the equivalent of one roll of 24 exposure film, but at the rate digital camera resolutions are increasing 1Gb will be required for high quailty photos. And I have complete faith in CompactFlash cards after using them for 3 years now. I've abused them -- including dropping one in a river -- and never lost a single photo.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 9:54 pm 
I have a 1 gb card and I can shoot approx. 500 images in jpeg format and 107 images in RAW format. RAW format is so you can change exposure or white balance in Nikon Capture once it's downloaded to your computer. We sometimes make mistakes with our settings and it's kinda cool that you can fix that after the fact. I always shoot in RAW format for what I do.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 10:38 pm 
Cascade Hiker has a Canon G3. Having hiked with him, I know his shooting style. He's not the type to be bracketing every shot or reshooting the same scene over. Also, unlike other camera brands, Canon RAW files are not much larger than jpg files so even if he were to shoot in RAW it would still be overkill. That's why I recommended a 512 MB card to him. If he finds he needs more memory, he can buy another 512 MB card later (for a lot less money) and juggling 2 cards is not a big deal. I just don't see 99% of folks needing 1 GB of memory unless they are hard core photographers (or don't know how to hit the delete button).