Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Photography
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 12:02 am 
I have found the Lexar CF cards to be excellent. They are very fast...the 16x cards I have are much better than the SanDisk ones I've used from time to time. Lexar cards have a rebate happenin' with them through March now too, I believe. For the record I have a 640mg card that is used first and a 320mg backup card.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 6:42 am 
Tom mentioned:
Quote:
Cascade Hiker has a Canon G3. Having hiked with him, I know his shooting style. He's not the type to be bracketing every shot or reshooting the same scene over.
Actually Tom, you rubbed off on me and I find myself doing a lot more bracketing and double shooting. I also never use the smaller image size anymore (who said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" ) Since the 64 and 48 mb cards I used to carry were inadequate to allow the luxury of many pics, I've added a couple 256 cards. The 512 mb suggestion looks good to me and should complete my needs. With the G3's ability to use raw format, I feel as Catwoman mentioned, the need to carry at least 1 GB worth of capacity with me. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 5:19 pm 
Canon BP-512 Battery Pack
I see where the BP-512 is an option for the G3. From my findings it's a touch larger than the BP-511. Does this fit into the camera or is it to be used as an external? I'm looking to buy a backup. This talking of slower cards brings another question... is there a site that compares the different CF cards? Thanks, NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 6:56 pm 
There's no difference between the BP-511 and BP-512 other than size. If you want a spare for your G3, get the 1500 mAh Vid Pro AC-511. You'll save a bundle, not to mention it lasts about 30% longer than the stock Canon battery. It's the same voltage so it won't damage the camera. Of course, if you want a "stock" battery, I'll sell you mine so I can get another Vid Pro. biggrin.gif Battery Bank | Battery Barn As far as compact flash card reviews, see this link I posted above. FWIW, Lexar cards tend to be faster in Nikon digicams, but not necessarily brands like Canon, so aren't worth the price premium IMO. If you look at the results you'll see why I recommended simpletech.
CascadeHiker wrote:
Actually Tom, you rubbed off on me and I find myself doing a lot more bracketing and double shooting. I've added a couple 256 cards... The 512 mb suggestion looks good to me and should complete my needs.
What kind of beast have I created? winksmile.gif I shoot in RAW and 512 MB works well for me. I mean, we're talking about 150 RAW pics there, or 200 super fine jpegs. In any case, since you already have 512 MB, I'd hold off on buying that next 512 MB until spring when prices have plummeted even more.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 8:57 pm 
Thanks Tom. I shoulda caught that link but didn't. Have had that problem lately. Not seeing what I read. Or something like that. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 9:27 pm 
Tom gasped:
Quote:
What kind of beast have I created?
A monster for sure. ha.gif I hope you are proud of yourself. Now I can't go anywhere without bracketing everything. I keep thinking, "hmmm, I'm sure Tom would take three or four more just to be on the safe side" I'm worried that even 1 GB isn't going to be enough. rolleyes.gif (actually, your advice is being heeded, I'll hold off on the 512 card, Thanks) wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 11:23 pm 
Actually, I don't bracket. Usually I can get the exposure "close enough" by looking in the viewfinder. If not, a quick levels adjustment in photoshop can usually take care of things. Much easier than juggling 3 exposures for every shot. I'd rather spend my time getting the composition right.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 11:03 am 
Well I picked up that G-3. I got two 256 meg cards for it tool. It came with a 128 card also. I wouldnt mind getting together with other G owners and learning some camera workings from you veterans! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 11:20 am 
Does the G3 have threads on the lens for standard filters? Check this baby out. Talk about needing 1Gb cards! They have to be using multiple CCDs, which would explain the price.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 11:44 am 
That is impressive! 4 grand. Wowsa! No threads on the lens Mr. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 12:16 pm 
You use an adapter tube for the G1-G3 to attach lenses or filters. Most people use a lensmate adapter. Thanks to the bayonet system on the G3, it is much quicker mount the adapter than it was on the G1-G2 (which was threaded). http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3.html

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 12:49 pm 
*DROOOOOOOOOOL* smile.gif I think I'll start with something a little more affordable...an E-10 perhaps.
MCaver wrote:
Does the G3 have threads on the lens for standard filters? Check this baby out. Talk about needing 1Gb cards! They have to be using multiple CCDs, which would explain the price.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 3:23 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
I think I'll start with something a little more affordable...an E-10 perhaps.
I've had an E-10 for about a year now and I've not regretted a minute of it. My only enhancement would be removable lenses like the Nikon D1 series instead of add-ons, but it's a minor thing. They're pretty cheap now compared to last year too.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 12:04 am 
MCaver wrote:
I've had an E-10 for about a year now and I've not regretted a minute of it. My only enhancement would be removable lenses like the Nikon D1 series instead of add-ons, but it's a minor thing. They're pretty cheap now compared to last year too.
So the lens is physically attatched to the body? And something like a teleconverter goes on the front of the lens then? Weird. I wonder if they changed that with the E-20.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 12:19 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
So the lens is physically attatched to the body? And something like a teleconverter goes on the front of the lens then? Weird. I wonder if they changed that with the E-20.
Yes, it's a fixed zoom lens with 62mm threads. They make telephoto, wide angle, and teleconveter attachments for it but I don't have any of them. I've found the zoom to be adequate 99% of the time. I think the E20 is the same camera with a better resolution CCD. If you want to start getting into removable lenses, look at the Nikon D1X and D100.