Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Long Beach Social -- This weekend! (5/13-5/15)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 10, 2005 9:09 pm 
Can't make it to the Big Time Brewery social on Thursday? 3-4 hours of maps and madness not long enough? Getting tired of indecisive weather in the Cascades? Or just simply looking for something fun and a little different? Come down to the Long Beach Social! This weekend, I'm celebrating my 31st birthday and heading down to the Long Beach Peninsula on Friday night to hang out in the family beach house and I'd like to invite the lot of you folk to join me. There will be plenty of relaxation, including croquet on the front lawn (if someone's been kind enough to mow it), card playing in the evenings with 8 tracks of old 60s and 70s music playing in the background, and lots of field trips and hiking opportunities. Planned / possible field trips include:
  • walking out to the end of the North Jetty
  • driving on the Long Beach down to Beard's Hollow
  • hiking around North Head Lighthouse (and climbing on the surrounding cliffs of Dead Man's Cove)
  • Waikiki Beach and the Lewis and Clark Center
  • evening walks on the boardwalk
  • morning walks to the Long Beach Bakery
  • blueberry picking (may not be ripe yet)
The beach house has 5 beds total, but there's also plenty of nice flat grass for pitching tents. No TV, no phone, but there's a bathroom, refrigerator, and microwave. If you're interested PM me and I'll send you directions and info re: what to bring along. Hope to see you there!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed May 11, 2005 8:21 pm 
Mike- Have a great birthday weekend, it sounds like fun!!! We have an overnight backpack planned; otherwise this sounds like a great time. Sorry to post regrets!!!

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed May 11, 2005 11:10 pm 
frankm3 wrote:
Mike- Have a great birthday weekend, it sounds like fun!!! We have an overnight backpack planned; otherwise this sounds like a great time. Sorry to post regrets!!!
Frank, You are over your exclamation point limit, you are actually running on negative exclamation points now, so be careful..... nono.gif D

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu May 12, 2005 2:43 am 
No worries, Frank...maybe next time. smile.gif Not getting a lot of responses at this point, so guessing that a lot of people had previous plans. Still hoping for more...drop me a line if you're interested!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu May 12, 2005 1:01 pm 
weekend at Long Beach
thanks so much for this gracious invite. It's really cool of you to offer this up to folks you don't necessarily know except by zany posts and replies. I really appreciate the offer,however am on call for my job this weekend. Again...many thanks...

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri May 13, 2005 1:25 am 
Thanks for the kind words, Lookout Bob. Perhaps next time our paths will cross. Adi's making a chocolate birfday cake and deviled eggs for a little appetizer. Bushwacker's bringing mixin's for mai tais. (What? No cream puffs? wink.gif ) I'm bringing diet soda, Mike's Hard Lime, and a bunch of other assorted goodies. MtnWkr is stopping by on Saturday for the hikin' and fightin' and eatin' and drinkin'. I'm dragging Tom along Friday and I believe Marylou's coming down on Sunday around 3am. Man...sounds like we might even have beds to spare. Anyone else interested?

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostFri May 13, 2005 1:53 am 
looks like i'll be meeting you friday nite...need me to bring anything?

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri May 13, 2005 8:15 am 
Sure... It'll be kind of a potluck weekend...everyone should bring food and drink of some sort...some for you and some to share. We'll probably end up with holes in the diet due to this sort of laissez-faire approach to menu planning, but there's nothing that can't be rememdied with a quick trip down to Sid's supermarket on the south end of town.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri May 13, 2005 8:27 am 
My sister's in-laws have a beach cabin in Ocean Park; I love the Long Beach Peninsula! If you get up that way stop at Doc's Tavern and say "Hi!" to Molly if she's working, then head across the street to Jack's Country Store. Unfortunately I am ripping out our deck and replacing it this month, but thanks for the invite! Have a good time.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
ree

ree
PostFri May 13, 2005 10:03 am 
Have a fun birthday weekend!!!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri May 13, 2005 10:18 am 
Recommend: Go to Oysterville, and in the church lobby is a walking-tour map of the homes there, and read about the battle of the county seat! Local author Roger Espy wrote "Oysterville," a detailed account of his great-grandpa, one of the first white men in the area, and who founded Oysterville. There's also a funny book of Washington puns called "Omak Me Yours Tonight, " found in the general store right outside of Oysterville. In the oyster shop in Oysterville, purchase the booklet that maps out the Oysterville cemetary and includes little paragraphs about each pioneer buried there. Someone did extensive research, and it's very interesting to know a little about the folks whose graves your visiting. A favorite Christmas cookie recipe of a pioneer woman is published there - think of it! Over a hundred years later, this woman's favorite Christmas cookie recipe is known! Chief Nahcotta's gravesite is there, too! Continue past the cemetary to a little country store and visit the cashier there. He'll chat as long as you'll let him. Interesting fellow.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri May 13, 2005 1:58 pm 
Quark wrote:
Recommend: Go to Oysterville, and in the church lobby is a walking-tour map of the homes there, and read about the battle of the county seat!
agree.gif That is a *great* story, isn't it? Quick summary: Oysterville was originally the county seat for Pacific County. South Bend was expanding quickly and after several years of rapid growth, the town requested that the county seat be moved from Oysterville to South Bend. They voted, the measure passed, and the county seat was officially moved to South Bend, but a lawsuit tied up the process and kept the move from taking place. Frustrated with the delays, people from South Bend took matters into their own hands. They hopped into their boats, crossed Willapa Bay to the peninsula, and raided the county courthouse in the middle of the night, stealing the county records and completing the contested move of the county seat to South Bend.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 26, 2005 9:48 pm 
I just got back some pictures...
Tom and Mtnwkr
Tom and Mtnwkr
Bushwacker
Bushwacker
steep
steep
distant lighthouse
distant lighthouse
lighthouse staircase
lighthouse staircase
south
south
north
north
a short trail
a short trail
rocks and water
rocks and water
canyon
canyon
white water
white water
Dayhike Mike and MtnWkr
Dayhike Mike and MtnWkr
Dayhike Mike and Adi
Dayhike Mike and Adi
sunset
sunset
dusk
dusk

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri May 27, 2005 1:15 am 
Thanks for the pics, P-Bear! I like Steep and the one of me and Adi... wink.gif