Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments - Where to go / what to see?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:03 pm 
CascadeHiker wrote:
All I can say is I wish I was going along. I never get enough of the area since I'm a hopeless Enchantment addict. (18 trips and counting).
Well, since you correctly guessed my source you probably also know how many extra spots I might potentially have wink.gif. P.S. thanks for the detailed 4 day recommended plan - just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:19 pm 
allison wrote:
Yah, and I thought the approach via Temple was really nice, the canyon was so pretty, and we could have gone a lot faster than we did. We loafed, and it took us a while. It's a very cool way to get in there. There are so many things to be said for the other side of the pass, and I seem to recall both the camping at Shield and the rock slab at Mesa to be really something special. Then there's Eddie Mesa, and the fact that we didn't see anyone over on the back side, dude, your memory is going! I've been a lot of places too, and I thought it was way cool.
Lets argue about it then. I'm thinking about what's going to be efficient from a sight seeing perspective from someone who hasn't been to the *Enchanments* before, that's what we're talking about here. Temple Canyon takes more than a day just to go to Shield, especially with 4 days worth of gear and at the *end* of September. IMO, a first timer that's phisically fit would want to go in via Aasgard. Equal to better view factor with at least half the travel time to the *Enchantments*. I'm making a distiction between the Lost World Plateau and the Enchanments if you haven't noticed. I won't argue about Temple being a cool way to go, just not the best if you're looking to see the upper and middle basins. Sure, Earl, Mesa and Toketie have their merits (I guess), but the bottom line is you can find the same lake (OK, aside from the rock) anywhere in the ALW without having to climb to 6k to see it! Mesa and Earl are very similar (reeds, mud bottom, forested shores) to alot of stuff I've seen up the MFK. Shield on the other hand gets a biggrin.gif and a up.gif . Same with Coney. If you read my previous posts you'd of noticed the intense praise here. Sure not seeing anyone is a bonus, but anyone going to the Enchantments should not be concerned about such things. Edward and Druid are two places where this might happen though. Said subject is most interested in photography and bang for the buck and my suggestions are just my opinions. Always likin' to razz ya a bit.... Randy

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:32 pm 
if was up to me I'd do Aasgaard for the same reasons Randy says, it's direct and short. I liked T canyon a lot but it isn't the shortest way in. I'm not sure I'd descend that way because finding that one key ramp to descend from the top of the cliff face would be a heck of a lot harder on the descent.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:42 pm 
Tom: I'll be looking forward to your photos. Actually, I'll be going in for four days on Oct 10th with my son who will be coming from Virginia. I've never been in this late before so weather permitting, we hope to see the Larch in their golden state. Have a great time and as I said before, your pics will be eagerly awaited. agree.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:46 pm 
I on the other hand, would have preferred to descend via the boulder field that dumps from Temple Cyn down to Nada, as it was exciting and fun. There is, however, a little bit of 5th Class, and the whole thing's pretty exposed. I can see how this approach would not be for everyone. I thought it was KEWL. Going to the Enchantments (same dang permit as for the other side) and having there be NO PEOPLE, aside from you clowns clown.gif and Dave clown.gif was a real bonus for me. And I found being on top of Eddie Mesa to be a really neat thing to do as well. Fun scramble to get there, and awesome views! Next time: Coney, Druid, and the Upper Es right below the Pass. There's so much to do up there. I think it's funny how differently the three of us percieved the trip, given it WAS the same trip....I can still hear the Goat's snoring, even when he was camped 50' away from me! lol.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:56 pm 
CascadeHiker wrote:
your pics will be eagerly awaited
Actually, I may be without my G2. I'm thinking about sending it in for repair to fix a burned out LED and check out the focus issues before the warranty expires. I'm rationalizing it may be a more relaxing trip without my camera, not having to worry about meeting high expectations wink.gif.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 5:34 pm 
Just one Tylanol PM will drown out all snoring! On that particular trip I'd sleep around 1 AM and the next thing I knew it was 9 AM!

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 5:36 pm 
What? No camera? Tom, you'll regret not having a camera with you. Its in your blood. You'll go through withdrawal frown.gif Photography is what you do so well and the Enchantments are a photographer's paradise. Do you still have your S100? Or a good SLR? It is amazing but during the last trip I took over 250 pics with my S100 and when I got home, I felt that I should have taken more pics. I've got several hundred slides from trips I took with KodaChrome 25 and 64 and yet I still feel the need to take more pics each time I go in there. Then there are the goats that will give you some great shots. Oops, forgive me, I know that sometimes the camera is a pain but stilllllllll..... rolleyes.gif Bob Bolton took a great pic from little Annapurna a few years back and he scanned the slide and converted it to digital. I have Bob's permission to show this pic and I have attached it since I think it shows the photo ops from Lil Annapurna if you end up climbing it. When you get to the top of Little Annapurna, you really have some great views. Someone else mentioned the views from Enchantment peak and I readily concur with that too. Now, you really have to ask yourself, do you want to NOT take a camera with you? wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 5:58 pm 
I didn't say I was going without a camera - just perhaps not my G2. wink.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 6:05 pm 
Don't know anything about the Enchantments but do know about Tom and photos. This sounds like a hike where photo opportunities abound. Tom, you best be beggin, borrowin, or stealin a camera of some sort. Don't regret it. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 6:09 pm 
The fourth guy on our trip, Dave W, and I shot half of a show's worth of photos in one day after I chickened out on doing the W Ridge of Prusik. Definitely a place to bring your camera. And when we get the show date set up, of course the info will be right here in case anyone is interested in seeing what happens when a couple of painters decide to do abstract photography in the woods. dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 6:30 pm 
comments removed

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 6:50 pm 
He he, I've been known to take advantage of "30 day evaluation" periods angel.gif. That's how I ended up with my G2 (scratched the lens cap in the third week).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 10:40 pm 
Thomas dont worry about it! I've been in there eight times! Leave early (7am) from the colchuck parking lot. Go over Aasgard, you'll be in the uppers by 1400. Spend the first night in the uppers (do Annapurna) then head into the lower basin the next day. Take a look at Shield mesa and earl that day, then stay at either perfection (rune) or crystal. The next day checkout the other lakes and stay again or hike out asgarrd. If I'm home I'll go in there with you and we'll have a smashing good time! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostTue Sep 24, 2002 11:42 am 
IMO, if you've never been to the main and upper basins, you should plan on hanging out there quite a bit. It's touristy, but there are unlimited photo opps. Thousand of nooks and crannies. Bag little Anna and Enchantment Pk, but save Cannon and Shield for last or another trip. ...and in Aasgard and out Aasgard.