Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beginning of the end for Roslyn...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 2:18 pm 
They're starting work on the 10 square mile development between I90 and Roslyn. 3,785 "living units" hotel for 550 guests two golf courses equestrian center http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/86705_roslyn12.shtml A traffic jam forms now Westbound at Cle Elum as it is, now this will probably turn into an eastbound one as well. Transit to Salmon Le Sac area will doubtless become far more congested, and all trails in the area cannot but see increases in use due to the city being built nearby and marketed as an outdoor getaway. This really blows.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 2:23 pm 
Like I said many times before. This land is becoming more and more like the Alps. The only way to stop any type of human growth whether it is physical or socioeconomic is to stop population growth.

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 2:34 pm 
That is occurring, most sources now concur growth rates are slowing not only here but around the world, we probably will not hit the world pop highs predicted even as recently as a decade ago. That said, it'll be too late for Roslyn and the Cle Elum drainage. You think it's crowded at T&R now, just give it 10 years and it'll be a three ring circus!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 2:50 pm 
I don't know . . .
Anyone else see the "Half a Million Americans?" in the August 24 issue of The Economist? The jist of it is that based on data from the last census we can expect strong population growth until 2050. One reason is the massive immigration we experienced from 1980 through 2000. (See http://teacher.scholastic.com/immigrat/ellis/images/singleline.pdf). Another reason is women my wifes age did not decide not to have children as some demographers thought, they just postponed doing so. What looked like zero population growth 10 years ago turns out to be postponed replacement. There is a silver lining. If you are a late boomer or a post boomer (gen x y z ) with long term assets you will have someone to sell them to when you retire. There will also be more payroll tax payers to fund Social Security. The data also has interesting implications for foreign relations--the same is NOT true for Europe . . .

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 3:02 pm 
And you would not believe how much money the company I work for is spending to get natural gas up there! Just the money needed to engineer the project is amazing!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:47 pm 
Great...just what we need, another Whistler. shakehead.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 5:52 pm 
Reminds me of the discussion many moons ago over the $$$ spent on improving I-90. Built it and they will come. NN down.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 6:59 pm 
Are we supposed to know what "T&R" is? Yes, population growth is a huge problem - in many ways. Why do you think we have so much crime? - overpopulation. Why are our natural lands being cut down and becoming developed? - overpopulation. Why is our air so poluted? - overpopulation. Why are certain animals becoming endangered? - overpopulation. etc. etc. Most of the world's problems would be solved if there was not an overpopulation problem. Oh, and I've opted to NOT have human children and all my pets are rescues and have been spayed/neutered. Sorry for the bitchin. I'm experiencing a real difficult life about now. frown.gif

salish

salish
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 7:56 pm 
Some say Roslyn started turning to sh## not long after Northern Exposure was finished filming there. I'm glad I knew Roslyn & Ronald back in the 60's. Good point, Newt.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 10:23 pm 
Population growth is NOT a huge problem! That is a leftist propaganda issue. If you divided the WORLDS population into 5 person families, you could fit everyone in the world inside the state of Texas! If there is an issue its (only some places) density! Let's NOT be eilitists here (like the democrats) everyone is welcome, in reason. I believe in LEGAL imagration! I always have. Both of my parents are Scandinavian imigrants. The world is a VERY dynamic entity. Just recently scientists realized that the ant arctic is getting COLDER! There is NO global warming as the leftsist enviro terrorists have claimed all these past years. When mount Vasuvious (spelling) went up it put forth more carbon into the atmosphere than all the automobiles will FOREVER! Rational thinking is required here! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 12:39 am 
Where's your evidence to back up all these spoutings, BPJ?

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 12:58 am 
I don't think this grand scheme, if it doesn't go bust, will increase hiker traffic on wilderness trails beyond the first quarter mile of the Cooper River Trail. When's the last time you ran into someone on a wilderness trail around Winthrop who was staying at Sun Mountain Lodge? There is a danger, though. It will be the increased pressure for motorized access to wilderness areas and for commercial trail rides. The Cle Elum Ranger District is already way too cozy with ORVers, dirt bikers and commercial trail ride operators. I would think some of the existing folks in Roslyn and Cle Elum will welcome tourism related jobs and cash inflow to their busted logging and mining economies. I can't imagine where all the ex-urbanites in those 3785 living units are going to work. The winter climate up there may not attract a lot of retirees.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 2:17 am 
I didnt say that what was (is going to) happen in and around Roslyn was or is going to be great! I said that the earth (our world) is not, nor will it probably ever be over populated! Some will SEVERLY benefit from the expansion, some will not. The only constant in this world is CHANGE. Do yourself a favor, and adjust to it! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 6:35 am 
So I guess overpopulation is not a problem as long as we get every person on earth to move to Texas. Hell, where would the Cowboys play? Let's get a word in here from a noted environmental wacko: "Don't let anything like trees in the Clearwater National Forest get in the way of providing jobs and fueling the economy, even if that means cutting down every last tree in the state!" - Rep. Helen Chenoweth, R-Idaho rolleyes.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 7:19 am 
This wacko still alive? NN shakehead.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.