Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beginning of the end for Roslyn...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 12:48 pm 
ajgoodkids wrote:
Named after the lieutentant on Captain Cook's ship who first saw it! It doesn't get any more moronic than that.
That's how 99.9% of the 'European' names have been given to things "discovered" around the world. Cook Inlet, the Sandwich Islands, Washington state, the list is endless.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 3:45 pm 
Dante - with response to your "4-wheelers are more open-minded"...... 4-wheelers are more open-minded about destructive activities because 4-wheeling is a destructive activity. That is, unless it's not just a joyride and it's meant to get you to to someplace that a regular vehicle can't get you to. moon.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 3:51 pm 
yeah, that's it, they favor destruction while still others favor only their uses and cop an attitude that only they appreciate the finer things in all their glorious wisdom and to hell with anyone else because only their forms of recreation are valid. Give me a break. down.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 3:52 pm 
SARCASM!
It was sarcasm. I prefaced it with "Nice to know there's unanimity on these issues among one group of outdoor recreationists wink.gif " I think there are open and closed minded people who participate in any activity you care to mention. I was teasing BPJ for presuming to speak for all 4x4 people.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:11 pm 
You've put an awful lot of words in Catwoman's mouth there, Chris. I don't see anything about what's valid, or saying "to hell with" anyone? She just made a statement about 4-wheelers and destructive attitudes, a little general maybe, but one I've found to be true in many cases. Give me a break. shakehead.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:20 pm 
"You've put an awful lot of words in Catwoman's mouth there, Chris. I don't see anything about what's valid, or saying "to hell with" anyone?" please. the underlying assumption about "favoring destruction" *implicitly* comments on what is valid for recreation. I am not aware of anyone favoring destruction, even in 4x4 clubs, yet these comments are not qualified by the writer. "She just made a statement about 4-wheelers and destructive attitudes, a little general maybe, but one I've found to be true in many cases. Give me a break" Are you saying lock 'em out attitudes are not true in many cases with hikers? Are you trying to tell me the support for closing existing roads, so only certain uses are permitted while excluding other current users, isn't favoring only those uses of those in favor of closure? Of course it is. If one is going to write blanket statements about users they don't like, one should not be too surprised when it's turned around. *NO* one has a lock on legitimacy when it comes to recreation, no matter how satisfying it is to hoof it somewhere, someone else finds it just as satisfying to bounce along a jeep trail.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:24 pm 
I personally think it's time for another one of them rain socials. Nothing like shooting the breeze around a campfire roasting hot dogs under a tarp in the rain. One of my fondest memories from 2001. up.gif
Polarbear caught without an MGD
Polarbear caught without an MGD

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:26 pm 
That's a good idea.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:40 pm 
Tinkham Road. That's what I think. First weekend in October is looking promisiong.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:40 pm 
Yes that is a good idea, but it's gonna have to rain first! Isnt that great, it hasnt rained much this summer. Been a very good one that's for sure. I say that because I can remember summers that had three sunny days and rained the rest of the time. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:51 pm 
isn't it awful noisy along tinkham? I mean the other site isn't totally quiet, but I seem to remember Tinkham as pretty much a constant roar.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:54 pm 
I still like the north fork of the snoqualmie for a GTG! Somewhere along the river. That of the middle fork of the snoq... TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 4:59 pm 
I was wondering about noise along Tinkham, that's too bad cuz the spots look good. Well, it doesn't much matter where it is. If BPJ is going to be there you can bet that I will not. shakehead.gif Maybe next time.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 5:03 pm 
Well then, that's to bad for you then isnt it Miss. Allison!?! I wouldnt have let YOU keep me from going. Oh tollerant one! Sure buddy! TB

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 5:22 pm 
Nobody wins a fight Allison. I can be civil and polite to you if you can be to me. If you cant, then I wont! It's up to you to decide. We'll leave it up to this board to decide who they want at the GTG more, you or me. I wont have a problem if its you. I would prefer it be both of us, but if you cant do that then I'll leave it up to the board. TB