Forum Index > Trail Talk > Discussion on backpacking gear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RonMoak

RonMoak
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 3:25 pm 
Ultralight Gear Discussion at TrailFest
Marylou, There will be an Ultralight Discussion at Trailfest this year. It'll be at 2:00 pm in the Ed Center and put on by ALDHA-West. I'll be doing a presentation on "4 Ultralight Principles" and "6 Easy Steps to an Ultralight Pack". We’ll have a general discussion about gear and techniques. There will also be question and answer session. People are wecome to drop in and hopefully you'll hear something new. There should also be plenty of examples of Light and Ultralight Gear. Ron Moak Six Moon Designs

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 3:41 pm 
Yeah, if WTA would ever move TF to any time of the year but one of the very rare weekends a year that the high alpine is acessable, I'd be at the event. As it is, I, like most people who might want to give or receive at such an event, will be out backpacking instead. They tell me that their target audience would not come to this event unless it was on a weekend in the middle of the summer. shakehead.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 9:19 pm 
ditto.gif Well, I guess that's one more thing for which I ain't part of the targeted audience. In reality, WTA is probably right. The groups that would benefit the most from Trail Fest may not give much thought to getting out until the rain has subsided for a weekend or two.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Stuart

Stuart
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:47 am 
Their target audience should be those people who don't get out at all. So obviously we are not the target audience. To stear this back on topic... These are good ideas. I like jenjen's idea of real world user's comparing different types of gear objectively. Homemade vs generic vs name brand. Budget backpacking could really help open the eyes of people who think they can't go into the wilderness without spending a couple grand. This is a great topic that even experienced frugal shoppers could benefit from. I built my gear up on a budget. If I don't count all the useless gear that didn't work out, my most expensive piece of gear would be my tent at $100. But up until last fall I was using a $40 tent and my most expensive gear was my pack at $75. I bought my down sleeping bag used for $25 at a REI garage sale. Those are my big 3. $140-$200 will get you started. On a side note I'm considering going back to using the $40 tent. It's a 1/2lb heavier, but kept me drier. That's the thing that will really drive a budget up. Buying gear that doesn't live up to expectations and then having to replace it. There's lots of great deals out there if your really determined. I consider myself a lightweight backpacker since my gear is right at about 12lbs. But of course I've given up luxuries like a stove that will simmer and that inflatable matress. An ultralight minimalist with a tarptent and homemade gear could spend alot less.