Forum Index > Gear Talk > Stubai Ultralight Crampons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 4:44 pm 
Hey folks, I just received a pair of Stubai Universal binding ultralight crampons from campman.com, and I was wondering if anyone else had this type & brand of crampon. Man, these things are LIGHT. Mine came without instructions and I was just wondering about how to fit them to my boots. It's pretty much self explanatory, but I'm not sure about how to wrap the strap around the boot. Is there some formula for this? Also, I had heard there was an "anti snowballing plate" you could order with this crampon, but I also heard one could also use duct tape for this. Has anyone had experience with this crampon? Thanks much. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Crampa Stu

Crampa Stu
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 5:20 pm 
Hey, are these the aluminum ones? Just wrap around the foot if the strap is too long (after threading through the front plastic part, then the side, then back through the front, then around the ankle).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 6:01 pm 
I clicked into Campman.com and found the Ultralite Stubai crampons but it didn't mention the exact weight. Could you tell me as I am interested in a pair. I use Stubai step-ins now with good success but the lighter ones would be great as I don't usually need the heavy steel as I am not kicking into ice.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 6:21 pm 
Thanks Salish. Just what I was looking for: an ultralight crampon that works with any shoe. Mike, it's 590 grams per campman.com.

salish

salish
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 8:41 pm 
Thanks "Crampa". Appreciate it. I found a site with instructions on how to fit the thing. Mike - Tom is right on the money with the weight. Tom: I bought mine from www.campman.com, but it was off an auction on eBay. Campman.com routinely sells stuff there, and he's located down in Vancounver. Now for the good news: I got mine for $72 plus $3 shipping. That's the best price I've ever seen. NOW for another question, and I may just post this on cascadeclimbers.com as well as here; these aluminum Stubais are pretty dull. I mean there's really no sharp points on any of the points. A co worker of mine who is a climber looked kind of doubtfull on that. About a year ago I was told by one of the guys at Pro Mountain Sports that they suggest users do NOT sharpen the points on these crampons. As is, I think a person would be hard pressed to sink them into real ice, but maybe for the backpacker who sometimes hits crusty snow it might work just fine. Anyway, to sharpen or not....I don't know. Tom -if you are planning on heading to the Hi Lakers meeting this week I could bring them along so you could see them - let me know. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Curt

Curt
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 9:34 pm 
Salish, I responded to your post on TLB - check it out for some info on the routes you spoke about. As for sharpening, while I might consider it for steel crampons, I most certainly wouldn't do it to aluminum crampons. They won't last long at all. You'll shred them pretty quickly. Also, I'd take Pro Mountain Sports' suggestions - they know what they're talking about. Jim Nelson is a hell of a climber that's done more stuff than most of us can ever even dream about. He also has a great eye for gear. Ultralight stuff, functional, well thought out. I'd do as he recommends regarding the sharpening. -Curt

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 9:45 pm 
Hey Salish, thanks. I've seen that campman.com guy selling lots of hiking related stuff on ebay. I'm surprised to hear you say the points are dull. I thought I read they were sharp. Hmmm. Maybe I'll hold off on ordering until I see them at the hilaker meeting. Oh shoot, I'm out of town next week waah.gif.

Crampa

Crampa
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 11:13 pm 
I used the alum crampons (dull) on several trips and they work well on reasonable routes. I crossed a bunch of glaciers in 'em -- at least 10 so far. For ice climbing or really steep stuff, stick to sharpened steel.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 11:45 pm 
Hey Salish, if you make it to the Ice Cream Social on Thursday, bring them along. I'd like to have a look at them myself.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 1:42 pm 
Now these babies are ultralight crampons! Camp six. Ultralight 6 pointers. Perfect for spring summer crossings. 8 ozs. Light crampons

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 4:00 pm 
Thanks everyone, for your responses. Curt - I've talked to Jim several times, as well as his assistant. You are right - they are are top notch in their knowledge. Tom: The High Laker meeting is this week (tomorrow night) not next week. Are you still not going to be there? Allison: I won't be going to the Social, but if I was I'd bring them. Thanks again. Salish

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 4:41 pm 
Salish, I'll be there, thanks! BTW, I found this thread on the cascadeclimbers board. Looks like you've had these on your list for some time!

salish

salish
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 6:43 pm 
Thanks Tom. Yea, I was trading emails with folks at cascadeclimbers.com, as well as TLB several months ago in regard to these crampons. That was after I had done a lot of my own research into these crampons by reading reviews and other literature. I guess I've done that with just about everything I own. I really am a gearhead, but believe it or not, I'm nearing the end of my gear buying days. Until something wears out or I lose, I just can't think of too many things I need. I'm wavering on whether or not to buy a pack from Dan McHale. I've been down and visited with him and tried some packs on, I just have to determine if his packs work that much better than mine. That will be the last big cost thing. and snowshoes.... and a Curtis raft.... and a pair of Montrail Moraine boots.... Ah hell.....

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 11:44 am 
Hey Salish, thanks for bringing the crampons last night. In case anyone is interested, they were 602 grams (a measly 0.4 ounce over the mfr. claim of 590 grams) according to both my green 3001T and Jonathan's blue 3001T. I guess Ol' Will wasn't lying about these scales being accurate down to the gram. I also shot an email over to mr. campman. Very nice guy. I would recommend buying from him if you are interested in a good price on these crampons (see below). Mine are on the way smile.gif.
Quote:
From: campman (campman.com@attbi.com) Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:11 AM To: Tom Subject: Re: stubai ultralight universal crampons No sweat. Just let me know and will help you process your order Jarrett ----- Original Message ----- From: Tom To: campman Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 5:26 PM Subject: stubai ultralight universal crampons Hello, a friend of mine told me he got some stubai ultralight universal crampons from you on ebay for $72 plus $3 shipping. Got any more for that price?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 11:59 am 
Salish, my dad bought a McHale pack last year. He loves it. He'll be at the Feb Hi-Laker meeting (or is available via email) if you want to chat about it.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch